Notices

My Introduction

Old 12-12-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Introduction

Hi everyone. I want to say hello and get myself out here instead of just lurking.

I've finally comes to terms with the fact I have a drinking problem. I've been half-heartedly trying to cut back for years. (How did months turn into years?!?) I think I need to stop completely as it seems I'm an all or nothing kind of girl.

This is going to be a long hard transition I'm fearing. Alcohol is everywhere in my life. All my family and friends are pretty big drinkers. My freaking career involves booze. I'm actually a winemaker and I sure do take my work home with me. Even my dogs are named after alcoholic drinks.

I haven't been feeling well recently and I believe it's because my booze habits have gotten out of control. I used to drink just weekends. That changed to having a glass or two of wine at night and binging weekends. Now I binge probably 3-4 nights a week. I wish I knew why I just can't keep it to a glass of wine....why does it always turn into a bottle plus? I recently have been experiencing blacking out. That scares me. What scares me more is the deep ache in my abdomen that is worse the day after drinking. WTF did I do to myself? I DO have a doctor appointment lined up to deal with this.

I feels good to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading and nice to "meet" all of you!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Goldynkat- yeah that progression is scary - it happens so imperceptibly yet so quickly.
Glad you've decided to do something about it

Good to have you with us - welcome!
D
Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, Goldynkat. You'll find a lot of support here. As they say, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and admitting that you have a problem is that first step. Good luck, and keep reading and posting. We are here to support YOU!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Goldy! Welcome! I too shudder to think of all the days that went by. I started losing good friends (none of the latest were that old) due to alcohol related stuff. That is when I quit. It is too easy to say "that will NEVER happen to me" when in reality it sure as hell could! Glad you are here.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Goldynkat,

I am so glad you found us. I can relate to a lot of what you said. My husband and I are/were big wine collectors, used to visit wine regions regularly (like every month or two) together and belonged to a lot of wine clubs. We even got married at a winery. So quitting was a big deal for me, too but it's been such a huge improvement in my life. I hope you will feel the same.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BKP

Welcome to the new journey!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Welcome Goldy!! You are in a great place! It is good that you are seeking medical help.. Alcohol can do horror to the human body and when you quit the withdrawels can be terrifying so it's good that you are seeking help that way. Have you given any thought to looking in to AA? For me it has worked wonders and has become a way of life that has completely changed my attitude toward others and towards living.

Anyways welcome to the new chapter in your life that will become your greatest adventure yet!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, goldynkat! Welcome to SR and to sobriety. I hear you on living in a world that glorifies alcohol. I'm not a winemaker but do live in a big beer and wine producing area, where alcohol is a big part of the culture. I know it's probably too soon to think about it, but are you going to try to keep up the winemaking? Anyhow, I'm new at this sobriety stuff, but surprisingly it hasn't been as big of a transition as I thought. Avoiding places full of alcohol isn't possible, but you find ways. And then you star to care less.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi goldy and welcome!

Wow...your a winemaker...what aspect of the winemaking business are you actually in? Is there a way to keep your job and not drink?

There is a dog lovers section further down the forum...I will try to post a link later and maybe you can show us some pictures.

Welcome again!

LaFemme
Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Goldy, i too have signed up for this forum and have read your topic. What i want to say is that your situation is much more interesting then mine. As you work around alcohol this is gonna make it tough for you to stop.

Also that pain u have, well. Ive been having pains for years because of drinking and i get checkups and everything is always fine (though the doc told me my blood pressure is rising, not high but rising, and he thinks its due to drinking).

But anyway dont take those pains to heart just yet (till u go to the Doctor that is :P)

But if you pass out because of drinking this is because you drunk too much naturally. Also you have to realize that alcohol weakens the immune system, kills brain cells, raisses blood pressure( which can lead to furhter complications like kidney failure, diabetes and all that other scary stuff) and it also causes irreversable liver damage over time and stomach ulcers which is basically a hole in your stomach thats been causes because of alcohol abuse. Now i really truly hope i scared the dailylights out of you in this message but in a good way. One less heavy drinking is a good thing.

Now why do i know all this stuff but still drink? Good question, but good luck to you.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Goldy - My drinking progressed quite a bit like yours and the last few months before I quit had me wondering about my liver (a dull ache in my side after binging). You're certainly not alone - very few of us can quit without some kind of support.

Not sure what that means for your wine-making, especially if it's your source of income, but I hope you can put sobriety top on your list. It's worth it (YOU'RE worth it!)

Good for you for making this decision.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Goldy! Just on the pain in the abdomen thing - I had something along those lines and was convinced I had ruined my liver for good. When I turned up at the doctor he told me it was actually my stomach - a few antacids sorted the whole thing out. I have a mate who recently had the same thing happen.
Anyway, welcome to SR, it's great to have you here
Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing with us....Welcome...
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!