Notices

Handling the obsession / craving

Old 12-12-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Handling the obsession / craving

I dunno why but I am getting strong craving. I think its because I am alone at my house (its rare these days that my roommate isn't here or i'm not with my girlfriend). Haven't been going to meetings.. I feel like an idiot posting this don't think I don't feel stupid. Also for some reason knowing that my roommate has a case of beer in the fridge it just keeps running through my head. Haven't had a drink in about a week.

In addition to meetings do you guys have something you do..
Old 12-12-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey UNY! I just posted this same topic about a week ago. I totally know what you are going through. All I can say is, it will pass. As they say in AA, your sobriety depends on your spirutual condition. Maybe make a mental gratitude list. Think of all the things that you are grateful for and ask yourself how alcohol would negatively affect those things. Today I am grateful for my health, kids, wife, job, the fact I can watch the game tonight and will not have to call in "sick" to work tomorrow.

I hope this helps man.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

when i have cravings i do word search puzzles cuz they're mindless and they keep my hands busy.

i also find it helps to read the big book.

the other thing that helps when i have a craving at night is to just go to bed. it's a throwback to what my dad used to tell us kids. he was raised during the depression and whenever one of us would complain of being hungry or cold at night, he'd yell up the stairs, "go to sleep! . . . you won't know you're (cold, hungry, etc)."

so my knee-jerk reaction to night-time cravings: "go to sleep! . . . you won't know you want to drink."
(thanks dad -- RIP)
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey UNY - if you usually go to meetings and you haven't been for a while...go ferpetessake

Don't wait til the waters up around your neck to call for help, y'know?

D
Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dont feel bad about anything. If you want to get to a meeting, by all means do so. Cravings are a b#@ch. I know how you feel. Regards.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Or up to your @ss in crocodiles! I usually take a shower..bed works too! Just an idea to get you thru it!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Definitely get back to the meetings.. For me I have stopped working the program and that lead me to a relapse that nearly cost me my career. In addition to meetings just find something you can do to get out of your own head.. I am stuck in my head a lot and I just have to remind myself that there are other things I can be doing rather than dwelling. Some things I do are reading books both AA and non AA related, I write in my journal, I come to this website, I call my sponsor, I call family and friends, I putz around on facebook, I watch TV, I pray, I eat, I sleep, I write in my journal some more, I take showers, or I just get up off my @ss get active... Being stuck in your head can be a big problem.. I know it is for me.. There is plenty of things you can do to get out of that train of thought... Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Get a sponsor at the meeting and work the 12 steps of AA to recover from alcoholism...i don't think you're an idiot at all i wouldn't have gone to meetings for long either without being there for a specific and tangeable reason!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Next time there is an empty can of beer around take a good deep smell of it....it smells beyond horrible (all alcohol does really). I did this a lot in early snbriety and I don't think I could get past check smell today to drink if my life depended on it.

This worked for me...but if you think it might lead you to temptation try something else.

LaFemme