Notices

First AA Meeting last night

Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA Meeting last night

Hey All,

I had my first AA meeting last night. It was at my school and most of the people there were close to my age (21). At first, I felt somewhat alienated and like I didnt really belong there. At the end of the meeting, I had several members come up to me and introduce themselves and we exchanged phone numbers.

I plan on going to another meeting tonight and seeing how that goes. I'm pretty enthusiastic about this so far, though I've heard some adverse responses about AA from other forum posters.

Look forward to learning more!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Good for you! Keep going back. You will most likely find some that feel right and maybe some others that don't. Don't let the latter discourage you. Keep going to the ones you feel comfortable at and keep trying new ones. Keep comin' back, as we say. I guess AA isn't for everyone, but keep an open mind and decide for yourself. I think it's great.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA has a solution for alcoholism if you want it...keep the enthusiasm and keep going back to the meetings and ffs listen to someone in real life that has been sober a while and seems happy, oh and make sure they have some tangeable route to sobriety, i.e. not saying that joining a gym and AA meetings keeps them sober...of course this is assuming that you are an alcoholic which you will need to decide...

If you don'tdeal with this now you will be 40 in the blink of an eye, who knows maybe you will be on SR posting how AA never worked for you and this time you really are going to quit drinking for good...i really hope not for your sake...good luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great, glad you found a meetings with people your age. I was nervous at first too but I soon got a bunch of new sober friends to hang out with. Those meetings and working the program is what has keep my happily sober today.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RunnerMD2be View Post

I've heard some adverse responses about AA from other forum posters.
How you feel about AA is what matters! That's awesome that you are looking for recovery.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
AA has a solution for alcoholism if you want it...keep the enthusiasm and keep going back to the meetings and ffs listen to someone in real life that has been sober a while and seems happy, oh and make sure they have some tangeable route to sobriety, i.e. not saying that joining a gym and AA meetings keeps them sober...of course this is assuming that you are an alcoholic which you will need to decide...

If you don'tdeal with this now you will be 40 in the blink of an eye, who knows maybe you will be on SR posting how AA never worked for you and this time you really are going to quit drinking for good...i really hope not for your sake...good luck!
lol dude I've been in the gym and doing meetings since I quit 6 months ago... it
worked for me what is your point??

should I do something extra like setup chairs and mop the floor before meetings
cause it will keep me extra sober?

hah
Old 12-10-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

If you find AA attractive and like it, then by all means, go! I think it's fair to say that most of us who are critical of AA aren't trying to say no one should go: it's simply that we do want people to be aware that it isn't the only game in town.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That all makes sense. I can see why some people might feel differently about AA. I certainly havent settled on it yet, but the people I met were very very nice and willing to reach out to me.

I can certainly see why some people have to go and keep going to stay sober, this sort of perplexed me before going to meetings. I saw a few people speak about their experiences and that sorta sealed it up for me.

Day 13!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bugzer View Post
lol dude I've been in the gym and doing meetings since I quit 6 months ago... it
worked for me what is your point??

should I do something extra like setup chairs and mop the floor before meetings
cause it will keep me extra sober?

hah
Sorry didn't mean any offence to you personally:-)

The program of AA is the 12 steps which lead to a spiritual awakening (drastic personality change) and recovery from alcoholism...i know there are lots of people in AA not doing this and it helps as a kind of group support for them i guess...

When i first came into AA a now friend of mine had just done 4 years of gym and meetings and not much else and drank again...if it works for you great but lets give this young person the right advice and encourage them to work the real program of AA as it was written in the Book and not to try and do a DIY version which may or may not work for them...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have both negative and positive opinions about AA but must say that my home group really rocks! I always feel better after being there and the people are so supportive and helpful. I'm glad you found a meeting you liked. Try some others ones too, you can end up with several that you feel comfortable with, and the more support you can find, the better for you.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

whatever option you choose to help yourself is good....you are addressing the problem NOW rather than later....in reading your name and stats....please believe me when i tell you that your career choice leaves NO ROOM for heavy drinking....

you'll struggle through the first 2 years needlessly....it's a very expensive education to tank on...once you hit your 3rd year clinical experiences and regular clerkship board exams.....it's a ride that requires ALL of your brain cells to get into a good residency program.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

People in AA will suggest that you go to 90 meetings in your first 90 days of sobriety. I found this helpful because it takes going to a lot of different meetings before you find the groups in which you feel most comfortable. AA meetings have different "personalities" and different formats (step study, speaker/discussion, meditation, etc.) so do a lot of shopping around and see what fits best for you.

Also remember that the only REQUIREMENT to participate in the AA program is a desire to stop drinking. For everything else, it's ok to use what helps you and ignore the rest or put it aside for later contemplation.

GG
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TwelveSteps View Post
People in AA will suggest that you go to 90 meetings in your first 90 days of sobriety. I found this helpful because it takes going to a lot of different meetings before you find the groups in which you feel most comfortable. AA meetings have different "personalities" and different formats (step study, speaker/discussion, meditation, etc.) so do a lot of shopping around and see what fits best for you.

Also remember that the only REQUIREMENT to participate in the AA program is a desire to stop drinking. For everything else, it's ok to use what helps you and ignore the rest or put it aside for later contemplation.

GG
Sorry i dont agree...90 in 90 came from rehab centres and is nothing to do with AA and, regardless of the only requirement for membership being a desire to stop drinking, the real program of AA is the 12 steps so getting a sponsor and getting on with it is more than advisable if you want to recover from alcoholism:-)
Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats Runner. Keep going back. It really does work if we work it.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Actually, I have heard the "90 in 90" advice from many AAs who have nothing to do with rehab. The numbers aren't that crucial, the point is to go to many different meetings, immersing yourself in recovery in the early days. Everyone has to find their own comfort zone, but until you do, its best to err on the side of caution.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I certainly needed new sober friends in early sobriety ...
Yes...I found them in AA meetings

I'm pleased you are atending AA
Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just keep going back!
Try other meetings if you like, but just keep going!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think 90 in 90 is a great idea. I got a sponsor right away and he suggested it as well (along with calling him everyday). No 90 isn't a magic number, but having a plan to go to a meeting everyday helped take the decision out of it for me. I didn't have to think hmmm should I go today or not? I just went.

When I first heard 90 meetings in 90 days I thought that sounded crazy. I am too busy for that, but I drank everyday so an hour a day was nothing. Yes the 12 steps are the program as far as I am concerned too, but meetings were/are huge for me in early recovery. I am usually at at least 4 step meetings a week so just another way to reinforce it.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
BKP

NICE. I keep a chip in my drawer at work and it keeps me coming back at night. I keep a good routine going, gym in the am banging out weights and running, go to work and then AA in the evening. I have no kids so i am free to do this, SR. is great- At first i did this and no meetings, then i had an emotional relapse where i was freaking out. Got to go to some meetings and been hooked 3-5 times per week for an hour,. It is great to hear others feedback and share there stories of the best and worst. Keep coming back and glad it was okay for ya.