Notices

What is it like to get a sponsor?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
I have the exact opposite experience in my home group.

It's a suggestion only for sure, but highly recommended b/c it's highly effective.
It's possible that everyone in your home group does have a sponsor and feels strongly about sponsorship.

It's also possible that the people who don't have sponsors don't admit to it publicly because there is so much social pressure to have one. Some of the unsponsored people I knew were "in the closet" about it, even with years of sobriety.

OTT
Old 12-11-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

OP please don't listen to people posting who have no experience working with a sponsor...its just opinions based on no pratical experience whatsoever...
Old 12-11-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

My sponsor kind of chose me... It was almost as if we were meant to work together though. I was intending on asking him to be my sponsor one night after a meeting... I had asked him for a ride and he did so.. before the meeting we were talking and he asked me if I had a sponsor and I was like well I was going to ask you to be mine..

It has been a wonderul experience.. He was there in the beginning.. When I went back "out there" he was right there waiting for me when I returned to AA... When I quit working the program he never pushed for me to come back but would occasionally call and check up on me and make sure I'm "ok".. and now that I am back again hopefully with God's grace for good we have worked the steps and read through the big book and he has introduced me to a lot of good people and friends..

So I would really encourage you to find someone...

I know it can be a little nerv racking and hard to ask someone but don't be shy... Find someone with some good sober time and they will be honored to work with you! I promise.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It has been a wonderul experience.. He was there in the beginning.. When I went back "out there" he was right there waiting for me when I returned to AA... When I quit working the program he never pushed for me to come back but would occasionally call and check up on me and make sure I'm "ok".. and now that I am back again hopefully with God's grace for good we have worked the steps and read through the big book and he has introduced me to a lot of good people and friends..
That's good to know. That was the other fear I have, letting that person down and they get mad at me.

Granted I live downtown in a city, but some of the people I've listened to talk at the AA meetings seem a little strange.

I guess I need to keep going and meeting people and try to figure out who would be a good fit.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

There are hundreds of different meetings here in my area.. And I'm assuming there are where you are aswell... I go to many different meetings thoughout the week and have met plenty of cool people. I wouldn't be too worried about letting your sponsor down if I were you... It's your recovery not theres. They are just there to give you a helping hand and guide you through it. Ofcourse they will get hurt if you slip up but they should be the first ones to understand that it happens.. Many of them have more than likely slipped up at times themselves.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by goldengirl3 View Post
That's good to know. That was the other fear I have, letting that person down and they get mad at me.

Granted I live downtown in a city, but some of the people I've listened to talk at the AA meetings seem a little strange.

I guess I need to keep going and meeting people and try to figure out who would be a good fit.
Yes--if you want a sponsor, then take your time. The person does not need to be someone you totally click with on a friendship level, but they really do need to have what you want in terms of not just sobriety (longtimers are not necessarily healthy) but also their overall well-being. You don't want someone you think is "strange"....trust me on that one.

OTT
Old 12-12-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Awakening...

The right sponsor is someone who you trust your life with.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
BKP

My sponser is an old boss of mine he has over 4 yrs in the program and shares a lot of good tips for me. I am almost understanding the steps of the program much more-better with his help. I also work with an old co worker at my old job who attends AA and has years of soberity. Everyday we talk a bit about this and it is great to have AA around me when i need it. Which is every second of my day.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

On average, how often does everyone here go to meetings?

How often did you go when you were newly working on your sobriety?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Try to think of AA meetings like classrooms for sobriety.
The more you go....the quicker you learn.

I found a meeting that I attended before work...it was a good
way to begin my day. They also met on weekends.
I went daily for at least 18 months...I really enjoy meetings...

Glad you are here...sobriety is such an awesome way to live