Notices

open talking

Old 12-08-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
O.D.A.A.T.

Exclamation open talking

My dilemma is this. I think it is about time that I leave my compfort zone a little more and do an open talk. I shake hard when I'm nervous. I shake noticeably when I'm just shareing at a table. Then once I notice it I shake harder with anxiety for the sake of anxiety. I get it in my head that people see it and think I'm drinking. Day to day at meetings it is getting better as I become more compfortable with life, tables and people but in front of all those people with all attention on me, it's giving me anxiety just thinking about it.

My question is this. Should I just suck it up and stop worrying about what people may and may not think or should I just put it off untill I become more comfortable with myself and the shakeing subsides a little more.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello. I don't understand. Have you been sober at all or a short time? Still drink at all?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Colin

I have no experience with open talks at AA, or anywhere else, but I know folks will be along soon how have

D
Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would ask your sponsor in this matter...welcome btw:-)
Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
O.D.A.A.T.

I have been sober almost 11 months
Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Colin - When I have a dilemma like this, I consult with my HP. Welcome to SR! Jomey
Old 12-09-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Colinwith1L View Post
My dilemma is this. I think it is about time that I leave my compfort zone a little more and do an open talk. I shake hard when I'm nervous. I shake noticeably when I'm just shareing at a table. Then once I notice it I shake harder with anxiety for the sake of anxiety. I get it in my head that people see it and think I'm drinking. Day to day at meetings it is getting better as I become more compfortable with life, tables and people but in front of all those people with all attention on me, it's giving me anxiety just thinking about it.

My question is this. Should I just suck it up and stop worrying about what people may and may not think or should I just put it off untill I become more comfortable with myself and the shakeing subsides a little more.
that used to happen to me alot. not only that, but my voice would start to quiver as well.

it made me look and sound very strung out although it was quite the opposite. it was also extremely embarassing to me especially because i look so physically intimidating.

I finally had to explain to everyone in the meeting that i had public speaking anxiety and i'd sound and look like this until it stopped....simple as that.

Right after i told them all this, it really started to get bad, and then it got better and better and now it seldom happens if i'm speaking to an audience of any size.

hang in there