Notices

It's a small world

Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Smile It's a small world

Yesterday one of my friends from AA asked me if I could chair his meeting today. I told him that I wasn't sure if I was working today as my job kind of let's me know if I'm working the day before. So I called him this morning to tell him that I wasn't working and that I could chair his meeting. He didn't answer his phone so I figured he would just call me later on. Well I decided to go to my local Alano Club to get some dinner and watch the game. My friend showed up and apologized for not calling me back which is cool with me. Then he told me he got someone to chair his meeting and asked me if I know a guy by the name of such and such. Now I'm thinking to myself the only guy I know by that name is a guy at my work. So I tell my friend "no, I don't think so". So before the meeting starts I go to use the restroom. When I walk into the meeting who do I see sitting up front with my friend, my coworker. I've been working with this guy for a few weeks and never knew he was in recovery. So after the meeting my friend said "I thought you didn't know this guy". My response was that I didn't know who he was talking about. I think it's awesome that I live in a large metropolitan city but it can be so small at times. What's cool about it is now me and this guy have another thing we can relate with eachother other than working at the same place. It's a big world, but yet it's so small. The program of alcoholics anonymous never ceases to amaze me.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's really cool! I had some serendipitous things happen to me early in sobriety and it felt like my HP was sending me encouragement. It's great that someone you work with is in recovery, too - comes in handy during those after-hour holiday parties!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((JohnDelk))) - I remember sitting in one of my first meetings, and ended up next to a dr. I'd worked with for years. He had something like 20 years sobriety, and was always a calm, respectable dr. After seeing him there, I thought "so THAT'S why he has that grace about him....he's in recovery!"

I'm glad you now have someone at work who's also in recovery...that's really cool!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

That's really cool, John. Glad you can share this with your co-worker.

The first time I went to a meeting I ran into someone who I'd only met once or twice about two years before . . . when I had met this guy, I'd been totally wasted, and he's come to my house and rung my doorbell while I was throwing a party, looking for some other party. Because I was wasted, I invited him in and he came and drank with us. I had just moved to the town and this guy was a total stranger. I realize now it was INSANE to do that sort of thing, but I did stuff like that all the time when I was drinking . . . invited random strangers into my home, etc.

So, seeing him there in AA on that first day was incontrovertible evidence, a reminder of why I was there and how real it was. In an odd way, it also helped to know this guy across the room had seen me in that state. Aside from all the other things that were powerful about that first meeting, having it rooted in "reality" that way had a huge impact.

Thanks for sharing your story.