Notices

Telling the parents tomorrow

Old 12-06-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling the parents tomorrow

Today my sister came over and questioned me about my alcoholism and i finally admitted it to someone. I have agreed to tell my parents tomorrow hoping they can help me with recovery and a good path...i am a little nervous about this. what are your guys thoughts. I am 23 and i am an alcoholic. i runs my life...morning to pass out
Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

I think it is a great idea to tell your parents... As long as you feel comfortable doing so which I really think you do. It was emotional but very freeing when I told my parents.. I was stuck in a psych ward for a week after hitting my bottom and calling for help after feeling suicidal before I called my parents and told them what was going on. I left out the part about me having suicidal ideations but I told them about what lead me to the hospital and really they pretty much new I had a problem..

I think this is a great thing for you to do and having family support is one of the best gifts you can recieve in recovery from my own experience.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You def aren't the only alcoholic at 23. I was well on my way at that age. I am glad that you are posting here. It is OK to be nervous. Your parents, if they are normal, should try to help you. Keep coming back here so that you can keep learning and growing.

You probably don't want to, but you could talk to your doctor and let them point you in a good direction. Maybe it is AA, maybe CBT. Maybe something else.

If your parents are reasonable they will have your best interests in mind. You need the strength of others to help you quit drinking and stay quit.

Thanks for posting.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Should be interesting for sure
Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is a family doctor or more of an urgent care doctor better? does it matter?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Originally Posted by bigred95 View Post
Really it just comes down to whatever you are more comfortable with... I would probably be more comfortable with a family doctor who I more than likely know quite well or have atleast had some experience with. An urgent care doctor would be a good choice if you for some reason have some reserve with going to your family doctor..

But honestly I would believe that either would be good and both would have good information and possible insight to what you can do to further your recovery.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenAces View Post
I think it is a great idea to tell your parents... As long as you feel comfortable doing so which I really think you do. It was emotional but very freeing when I told my parents.. I was stuck in a psych ward for a week after hitting my bottom and calling for help after feeling suicidal before I called my parents and told them what was going on. I left out the part about me having suicidal ideations but I told them about what lead me to the hospital and really they pretty much new I had a problem..

I think this is a great thing for you to do and having family support is one of the best gifts you can recieve in recovery from my own experience.
GreenAces, i was like you, put myself on a wait list then checked myself into detox without telling anyone but my older sister. When i got out i ended up going to my parents house and telling them everything (i had no intention of doing that even when i was IN the detox) but i really needed them. The weight that was lifted off my shoulders was huge. Feels so good not to hide it, and when i need support, i call my mom up and she is there for me.

Bigred, let us know how it goes (if you want to) major props to you!! good luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I have kids in their 20's and I've also had the experience of telling my parents about my drinking. So, from both sides, I can say that it means a lot to have your parent's support, and it means a lot to know that your children are struggling and working on a problem. They know you and love you like no one else ever will. When I told my parents, it was a huge relief and brought us closer (scary to do, but worth it).
Old 12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Chances are your parents already know you have a problem, but without hearing it they probably just haven't said anything. For some reason parents just have the sixth sense of knowing something isn't right. Plus being that your sister came over to talk to you about your alcoholism, I'm sure they more than likely played a role in orchestrating that. It's good that you're going to tell them. It will probably bring some closure and solace to you and them. They're your parents so I'm sure they'll give you their full support. Were you planning on getting into a recovery program? Trying to get sober on your own is a difficult thing to do. I know that I wasn't able to do it on my own.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It went great. I am actually moving in with them for help with recovery!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smart move. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It went great. I am actually moving in with them for help with recovery!
good for you! im glad it went well!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

hey Red ... was hoping to see something fro you on here today and see how things went for you , Im so glad it went well for you , the more support the better , such a young age to waste your life away .. the longer you drink the harder it could be ...

Awesome that your moving in with your folks , thats great .. huggles and hope to see yah in chat again tonite .. ~ huggles Endzy~
Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Explain the nature of alcoholism and ask for their compassion and assistance to get you
the treatment you require.
My son was an alcoh/addict. I was always willing to help him get into treatment, and did three times. As you know this is a progressive disease that req. constant attention to reverse the slippery slope to bottom.
You are on the right path by reaching out + admitting you have a problem.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you need a doctor immediately then go to urgent care or an emergency room. But if you can schedule with a family doctor it might be better.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So Happy things went well with your parents...you are lucky they sound awesome:-)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so happy to hear you have the support of your family! Coming clean to parents is one of the hardest things we do. We're so worried to disappoint them. When in reality, given the chance they will be your biggest supporters. I wish you the best on your journey.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

good stuff Red

D