Notices

I need help!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help!

I need help, or support, or something. I've been in and out of programs, only ever tried A.A. I was sober for 6 months, then relapsed and have since been drinking for 1.5+ years. I've been drinking on and off for longer than that.

I have no idea what to do. My doc gave me a shot of Vivitrol(1 month XR Naltrexone). I can't tell if it's helping or not because i'm still drinking.

He also gave me some valium to taper off to control the DT's. I had 2 days sober, using the valium to help, until last night. I drank a lot. I was probably somewhere near 0.2 BAC. I'm not in any recovery programs right now and A.A. has never helped me.

I just don't know what to ******* do anymore. I don't want to drink, i don't want to die, my supportive family is having nightmares about me. I don't want to lose my job/social life by going to in patient care. In patient and out patient care has never kept me sober for longer than 6 months. It's been about 8 hours since my last drink, i didn't sleep at all last night, and i'm breaking down. I know i can ******* do this, i need direction.

I'm 23 years old and right now i feel like i have no future, no life ahead of me. I'm not suicidal, the only thing that has kept me alive these past 5 years has been rock climbing and family. I have found a passion that is worth living for but i just cant ******* quit.

Researching SMART and AVRT right now. Please give me some direction/support i could really use it right now.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Somewhere in Between

I wish I had all the answers and knew the right things to say.... All I know is that you have come to the right place. This site has helped me tremendously and is very supportive. Plus it is right at your fingertips 24/7. If there is nobody in the chat room, you can also refer to the forums and read the posts of others in the same boat. I am 2 weeks sober and come to this site everyday. I am so glad you are here and you are on the right path by realizing you have a problem. Take good care.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dada!

Welcome. You are right...you can do this. But it will take work, which it sounds like you are willing to do. Have you tried CBT or any other type of therapy? I have found these things really helpful at removing the obstacles to staying sober. The time you made it 6 months...was it hard or easy? What caused you to trip up?

SR has been a wonderful help for me...I hope it helps you as well.

xo, LaFemme
Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know what caused me to slip up. It was fairly easy because the initial month was forced, by means of a 28 day in patient program. after than i lived in a sober house. One day i went to a show concert with a friend who was 'supportive' but not sober himself. I ordered a beer and he looked shocked, but didn't say anything...

Whats CBT???
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

CBT...Clinical Behaviour Therapy is what it stands for. It's basically therapy to the best of my knowledge. I work with a life coach, but we address problems in my life that are holding me back...she is not trained in addiction...but I consider the work I do with her crucial to my success as I need to be improving my life in order not to drink.

OK...so you went to a concert and had a beer....people say that usually a slip doesn't come out of nowhere so you might have been headed for that slip before it actually happened. Still I would suggest avoiding concerts for a bit. Do you enjoy reading? I found that helpful...i read "the easy way to stop drinking" by Allan Carr and it was very helpful.

What were you doing to change your life during that 6 month period?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Actually it's Congitive Behavioral Therapy, and it's for certain mental illnesses for which meds don't help.

to the family. I've found a lot of support here and I'm sure you will too.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome dadalife
I'm not in any recovery programs right now
Do check out all the things you mentioned - SMART, AVRT/CBT...and stay connected here too - you'll find a lot of help support and ideas here as well

do the leg work...go to the meetings or appointments...the more you put into your recovery now the better I think

D