Notices

Almost a week! (day 6)

Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost a week! (day 6)

Hello All,

I joined last weekend after what hopefully was my Rock Bottom. I've successfully made it to day 6, beginning today. It hasnt been too bad so far. No severe cravings, some strange feelings of remorse, rather that I will miss some of the former social situations. I've sort of tried to just brush them off as doable again, just without alcohol one day.

I saw the Counseling services at my university, and apparently AA does meet on my campus. The Psychology intern I saw is compiling a list of options for me and different available resources.

My biggest concern is taking this step towards a lifelong change, and not relapsing sometime down the road. In my head, I know that I can never return to drinking without going down this road again.

Thanks everyone for the support!

Jon
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're here Jon! Congrats on Day 6!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Congrats. Getting through the first week is a big hurdle and a good sign. So is reaching out for resources.

Sometimes it's too much to think about "lifelong change" and "never again," particularly early on. Those are good end goals but sobriety comes from daily practice. Commit to each day, don't worry about 10 years from now. As you'll hear in AA, it's "progress not perfection." Your first week is amazing, just keep your focus on the road in front of you and you'll manage just fine.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
part time member

Yes do not think past today. Do not drink today. It is to overwhelming to think farther than that. The first week is the hardest.....good job. One Day At a Time really works!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree Jon - staying in today was about all I could handle for a while. Just try not to think yourself too far down the road - all you have to do today is what you did yesterday.

Simplistic maybe but it got me started - and the more I'm in the recovery, the more sense "one day at a time" makes...in more than one area of my life.

Congratulations on closing in on a week
D
Old 12-03-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice work Jon, congratulations!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober member

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Congrats. Getting through the first week is a big hurdle and a good sign. So is reaching out for resources.

Sometimes it's too much to think about "lifelong change" and "never again," particularly early on. Those are good end goals but sobriety comes from daily practice. Commit to each day, don't worry about 10 years from now. As you'll hear in AA, it's "progress not perfection." Your first week is amazing, just keep your focus on the road in front of you and you'll manage just fine.
yup,thinking too far ahead always lured me back to drinking. keep it up,day by day!

i just went past my 3 week mark,feels great!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Forward is the correct direction....
Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was going to give a sliver of advice but I couldn't agree more about the one day at a time approach. In golf its one shot at a time and in tennis its one point at a time.

The first 90 days for me were the toughest so understand that the alcoholic voice in your head is powerful (and cunning).

Take care,

Dave