Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Just wanted to let you all know you were right and I was wrong

Notices

Just wanted to let you all know you were right and I was wrong

Old 12-11-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, for the weekend I don't have to much in the way of set plans, get some rest, enjoy the privacy of being out of a hospital and start going through my things deciding what to move, what to give away stuff like that...oh and eat something other than that awful hospital food lol. Monday I have a bunch of stuff I need to do to get the medications that the doctors wants me one (this stuff is expensive and there is no way I could pay for it myself) and maybe I can ask them about some local resources.

I have been very reluctant to try AA because I am just not the type of person who can sit back and say I have no control over something. I have always been the person who wants the cast of as soon as possible so I am get up and moving again or as soon as my cold improves enough I can stand up without falling over I head straight back to work. Obviously that does not always work out for me but giving things up to a higher power just does not sound like me.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by notalwaysever View Post
but giving things up to a higher power just does not sound like me.
It's not for me, either. Any kind of support is nice though. Here, SMART, I use some rational recovery stuff. Lots of options!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have been very reluctant to try AA because I am just not the type of person who can sit back and say I have no control over something. I have always been the person who wants the cast of as soon as possible so I am get up and moving again or as soon as my cold improves enough I can stand up without falling over I head straight back to work. me.
LOL that's kind of the point of AA -- alcoholics are almost NEVER that type of person!! Part of the program is learning to accept the reality that we can't control everything, which is often a difficult process, but (at least for me) goes a long way towards getting at the root of why we drank in the first place.

GG
Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Not going to debate religion...or the 12 steps. But you do have a HP that you worship...it's call alcohol. You can see it, feel it, smell it, taste it. But how well is it serving you?

Your fear and denial is a worship..sometimes prayer of sorts....but they don't change the view in the mirror. The very place our problems and solutions rain. But if you want it..it's possible. Recovery from alcoholism requres rigorous honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness.

Any alcoholic capable of honestly facing his problems in the light of our experience can recover, provided he does not close his mind to all spiritual concepts. He can only be defeated by an attitude of intolerance or belligerent denial.

TB
Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by notalwaysever
Originally Posted by SSIL75
It's not for me, either. Any kind of support is nice though. Here, SMART, I use some rational recovery stuff. Lots of options!
I can so relate .

As a non-theist I found that I can recover from alcohol addiction without a Higher Power. I did however need to seek the care of helping people and have an addiction treatment plan.

Drinking had become a second nature reaction to life for me. Happy, sad, good circumstances, nightmarish circumstances and all points in between did not matter, I drank regardless. That's addiction, it causes ones life to become unmanageable. And that's what it was for me: unmanageable. But nothing more than that. I need to bring back some manageability to my and a good recovery plan with support did just that.

I unitize SMART, CBT and support like here at SR along with self-help meetings and recovery groups. I tried doing recovery alone and the results were disastrous. Also having people with quality long term sobriety that are secular like myself make for a good example to follow.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

"I am just not the type of person who can sit back and say I have no control over something."

Neither am I - Admitting weakness or failure is not in my vocabulary, however until you truly accept that you are powerless over alcohol and cannot drink it is a struggle.

Recovery usually involves a lifestyle change which may mean new friends, not going to bars (at least early on) and taking up new activities to expend energy.

I remember very clearly the moment I had to admit and accept my weakness toward alcohol; then I had to put the hard work in to stay sober each day. In the end, you will be rewarded with your life back and aspire to reach your potential.

Dave
Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have been in counseling for the past several months however I feel I may need to switch councilors, my psychiatrist offered to help me find another one that will work with me on a sliding scale. She is super sweet but she is an intern and does not seem to have experience with my particular issues. I swear something I think I scare her LOL.

I know I need support through this and I will probably pop into at least one AA meeting with an open mind and see if any other support groups are in my area, I am in a rather large metro area so I am thinking there should be.

One thing I am having a lot more trouble with than I thought I would is deciding which friends are helping me and which friends are hurting me, unintentionally, though this, actually I think I might make a whole new thread about that.

Once the absolute craziness of this move is over and done with I think my new living situation will probably be helpful. At this point I live alone and it is really not a good thing, although I do love and personal space and privacy I guess I can have it back once I get my **** together.

Just wanted to add you all have been so supportive. When I made this thread I was really upset and going threw a lot of different things. I just never feel like I am being judged here.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Notalwaysever when I hit my lowest point one of the only things that kept me going was having heroes in my life. I knew a couple of people who had been at a place lower than I was, coming from rough backgrounds, and I had watched them succeed in life and come back from those challenges. Even when i wanted to give up, I would think of them and say they overcame so much more than this; how can I give up?