Notices

irritability...............WOW.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

irritability...............WOW.

well, just hung up on my wife.
I'm so mad I'm shaking, and I'm not really sure why. I think it was over what movie to watch tonight. I'm serious.

I have slept OK, have eaten ok, but my goodness.........I am irritable!

give me some support on how to get through this.

btw...i'm on day 3.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Firstly, this is completely understandable but I would definitely call her back and apologise Does she have any support? I'm not sure what program - if amy - you are following but perhaps they could offer you some techniques you could use when you feel like this.

It might sound basic but I just try some deep breathing when I feel like this and also reminding myself that this irritability is part of the process. I tell myself this because often I get SO angry with myself for snapping or being cranky which just adds fuel to the fire. I also remind myself that this feeling will pass. Then, if I have snapped at someone, I apologise which lessens my guilt and assures the other person that it was nothing they did.

Hope that makes sense

Well done in getting to Day 3!

M
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it's just that I really can't handle anything right now. The kids are driving me nuts, the dog, the dirty dishes, my wife..............EVERYTHING. No matter what anyone says to me I just want to roll my eyes and tell them to get lost.

i'm sure it's no abnormal, but I'm normally a pretty low-key laid-back guy...I've freaked my wife out pretty well.

this is miserable. So THIS is what everyone talks about when saying "I don't EVER want to do THAT again!!"
Old 11-30-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

this might sound pretty basic, but why don't you wash the dirty dishes? (forgive me if i'm assuming your wife would be doing this task)..sometimes a little physical work can help to ease your anxiety too.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyone is different so what I did may not work for you. But when I felt irritable eating chocolate or straight sugar helped calm my nerves.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Irritability is normal - you're withdrawing from something that's been a big part of your life for a long time.

There's mental and physical changes going on.

For me tho, yeah it sucked, but it's not a licence for bad behaviour.

Apologise to your wife, and yeah - maybe lend a hand on those dishes, Tex.

Keep busy, do something for someone else, get out of your own head a little.
You'll be ok.

D
Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

just remember: drinking won't help the bigger problem . . . it might feel good for a minute, but not much longer. breathe deeply. by now i imagine the kids are asleep . . .hope you are getting some much-needed rest!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you should buy a Dyson Ball vacuum cleaner. I love it!!! It will keep you occupied when you are all narly and it sucks up stuff you forgot about. I just got mine a few days ago and true story man...it sucked up Whitneys hair. Whitney was a cool cat. She died like six years ago. GROSS!!!! To know that her fur was imbedded in my carpet. The cool part is it has a chamber where if you accidentally suck something up..you can see it and dig it out. However..I am extremely careful ..do not suck up stuff that I may want back because who would want to rummage thru 6 yr old dead cat hair!!
Lets see..you posted this in the afternoon..it is now 9:52 Pm my time. I bet you have mellowed out by now and are happy that YOU MADE IT THRU DAY 3!!!! YAY!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just a few suggestions, but by no means would I call this "advice" !! (LOL)

1. Have a little talk with yourself: why am I (honestly) angry? what about me does this situation remind me about, that I don't really like (besides the getting mad part)?
2. Breathing is ALWAYS a good idea. In with the "F***", out with the "YOU" ... it's so much better than actually saying it.
3. Do something. Anything physical or positive will be okay. Walk the dog, play with the kids, do the dishes, vacuum the floor, wash the car - ANYTHING. Just NOT drink, stew about not drinking, think about drinking, or wish you could be "normal".
4. Apply the HALT question: Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired? all these are relapse triggers, and very dangerous places to be. You said you were eating okay and getting plenty of rest, and admitted you were angry, so ... lonely? Maybe you need to hit a meeting or find a friend to vent to.

Finally - and never, ever forget to do this - congratulate yourself for making it through this day, this hour, this MINUTE, without picking up. YOU are worth it!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Avenger of my liver

Oh man, I know the feeling. I'm just finished my 2nd week and I'm still raging. Not AS BAD, but still having tempers flare up. As long as I'm by myself it's okay. But going out, everyone pisses me off.