Notices

Day 9...what's been working for me...

Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Day 9...what's been working for me...

I'm Zube, I'm an alcoholic, and I've been sober for 9 days.

I remember sitting here one week ago today on day 2 of recovery detoxing and in the worst condition of my life. A living hell. One week later, I'm feeling a little better. I know that I still have a struggle in front of me, but I would like to share a few things that have made me feel a little more like a human being over this past week.

1. See a doctor. I went my first 2 days of detox without consulting my doctor, and finally reached a point where I could not bear it any longer. The doctor put me on the proper meds to help control the withdrawl symptoms. If I could go back and do it again I would have seen a doctor first. On the other hand, the detox withdrawl symptoms sucked so bad, they can serve as a reminder as to how I never want to experience those again. But see a doctor. My withdrawl symptoms could have killed me.

2. Go to A.A. I was ashamed as hell to go to my first meeting. But it turns out that the meetings played a CRITICAL part in my sobriety these past 9 days. I went to as many meeting as I could (12 meetings in 8 days), I've met alot of people who suffer as I do. I've found more support from this group of people in one week than other groups of people that I have known for a lifetime. Some people know that I'm going to A.A. and that's fine. I'm not embarassed about recovery...I'm embarassed about how I've been my 23 years before recovery.

3. Talk to family and friends. Support from those closest to me has been amazing. I know that I cannot do this alone. I don't expect my family and friends to understand exactly what I am going through. They are not alcoholics. I am. I just ask for support.

4. Don't ever be afraid to get down on your knees and pray. I ask God every morning to keep me from taking that first drink today, and thank him every night for getting me through one more day sober. Some people might struggle with this, but it has worked for me.

5. Always remind yourself to fight this battle to stay sober today, one day at a time, one hour at a time, and sometimes one minute at a time. That is how it works. I hope to be sober 10 years from now of course, but I concentrate more on being sober today. If I keep from taking that first drink today, well, today will be 9 days, and I'll start day 10 tomorrow, one day, one hour, one minute.

This forum was remarkable in my first few days of recovery. Going out of my mind detoxing was painful. Even the littlest responses to my posts during those first few days spoke volumes.

Thanks,
ZUBE
Old 11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, and congratulations on your 9 days sober!