Notices

New Issues from Drinking?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

New Issues from Drinking?

I have deluded myself for a long time that I just like to drink. Actually, it is true, but I have recently come to discover that I cannot or do not want to stop.

The problem is I really need to stop, as it is interfering with other aspects of my life.

I just had a 4 night drinkfest, alternating between scotch & beer (I only drink at night, none of thet wake up to a drink stuff).

The last night, my eyes started playing tricks on me. My vision was as if I had just woke up, things getting blurry and light making it worse, like when you go to the eye doctor & have them dilated. This has NEVER happened before and I have drank for 20+ years.

Another recent issue has been waking up every hour or 2 to go to the bathrrom to urinate. That was never an issue in the past, but in the last couple of months, it has developed.

Up at 3AM, then 4:30, then 6, I usually just stay up at 6 if I am feeling good enough. This is after crashing at midnight...

Has anyone else ever had this stuff happen?

I guess this is day 2 for me, if I can stay on track and not drink, this weekend...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a progressive disease.. Things will continue to get worse. I promise you that.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dont think anyone in this forum can say that they didnt "Like" to drink at one point. That said, there are a number of issues that can result from drinking and everyone reacts differently.

As the above poster said, it certainly is a progressive disease, and only YOU can decide whether you want or need to quit. If it is causing a problem in your life, that can often be the first obvious indication that you should quit. That doesnt mean that it hasnt always been a condition that you've had.

I'm new here myself, and it has just become obviously apparent to me that drinking is a problem in my life and I have chosen to quit.

Ha I actually pee quite frequently myself, but that is irrespective to whether or not I have been drinking.

Welcome to the forum! As you may have read, no medical advice should be given or asked for.

Good luck sorting through this!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't imagine any of us becoming alcoholic because of any other reason than we initially found alcohol use did something for us that was pleasurable. I recall my chaplain in rehab stating that alcoholism is a disease that makes us think we don't have it....ie: denial.

When I went to my first AA meeting I saw a sign that said "The chains of alcohol are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken.". We tell ourselves "I know I'm no alkie", because we *feel* we are in control. By the time we get it through our thick heads that we have no control, we cannot stop, and thus realize we're in the squirrel cage!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The "new" weird physical reactions to drinking as my alcoholism progressed were the main reason I wanted to quit drinking. Even weirder is how I kept drinking until I did, indeed, have that morning drink to calm the shakes even though I never thought it would get that bad. And even then kept drinking!

I had to be open to making many changes and getting support so that I could quit because my life, if you could call it that, wasn't working for me.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My years of drinking caused me so many problems including many health issues that if I continued to drink would have killed me.

You can do this but you have to want it and be willing to put your recovery 100% first.

Wish you well!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ive never had a morning drink either...from the sounds of your post it seems you are doing enough damage without it anyway;-) Hope you get some help soon!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had the same problem with my eyes too. If you stop drinking it will go away.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

Thanks, folks...

I'm thinking about going to another AA meeting. This time, I'll try to not let people bug me.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm struggling with this too. I just read anotother thread here and a couple things popped out to help me:

Take what you need and leave the rest.

Also: The only requirement is the desire to be sober..

Hope that help's a bit, but yeah, I also struggle with some of the people at the meetings. Once I get myself to go, I'm going to do my best to ignore certain things I don't agree with.

Also, reading and posting here helps, and gives you something constructive to do.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I absolutely agree that alcoholism is a progressive disease.

And, I am grateful that I stopped drinking when I did, because my health was in jeopardy.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My story is exactly the same... Thought I just 'liked' a drink. Who doesn't after a stressful day at work and then home to an environment that was even more stressful??I never drank in the morning so I couldn't be an alcoholic, I can stop at anytime I told myself. Until I tried to stop of course.

Someone said to me here, "If you think you have a problem, then you probably do"

Wishing you the best.

M
Old 11-29-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I apologize to the OP, I didnt see that they had over 130 posts :P
Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I didn't want to quit drinking when I quit. Again. And again. And then it got to a point when I realized that nothing I was doing was making my life any better and that continuing to drink would only make things worse. It didn't matter anymore that I liked getting drunk. I needed to quit and I needed help to stay sober.

I couldn't get better until I stopped destroying my mind and body with booze...and I couldn't stop destroying myself until I addressed my depression. I had to face myself and admit something I didn't want to. It sounds silly now, but I never thought I was depressed...I always thought I wasn't bad enough. I didn't want to admit I have a mental illness. I couldn't see how bad I was until I stopped the boozing...and I couldn't stay sober because of the terrible thoughts in my mind. Getting help saved my a$$ and got me sober.

It's not been an easy journey, but it is manageable. If I had based my recovery solely upon my feelings I would not be sober right now. Some say recovery isn't for those who need it, but for those who want it. I say recovery is for people who work for it, whether they want it or not.

I strongly encourage you to seek medical attention to detox safely and please do whatever you need to do to stay sober.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drank from 30 years old to 37. During the last couple years I noticed I developed really high blood pressure. I tried to quit and did for a couple months but I wanted to party and didn't give a crap.

I continued to drink even though my lower number was 108 I think it was. Then the weeks rolled on and the months also.

As I drove up on the beer distributer I wasn't excited as I once was and felt tired of it. It's almost as if it just all clicked and my body suddenly was aware I was pulling up to the poison center and got tired.

I wanted to be an alcoholic and I was, my dream came true. I wanted to party until I was 50 or 60 because I didn't drink as a teenager or in my 20's. But little did I know my body didn't want to do it. It let out some big cries and when I think about it it still hurts me in my mind to think i did this to my body.

We all will die from it if we don't stop.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
I have deluded myself for a long time that I just like to drink. Actually, it is true, but I have recently come to discover that I cannot or do not want to stop.

The problem is I really need to stop, as it is interfering with other aspects of my life.

I just had a 4 night drinkfest, alternating between scotch & beer (I only drink at night, none of thet wake up to a drink stuff).

The last night, my eyes started playing tricks on me. My vision was as if I had just woke up, things getting blurry and light making it worse, like when you go to the eye doctor & have them dilated. This has NEVER happened before and I have drank for 20+ years.

Another recent issue has been waking up every hour or 2 to go to the bathrrom to urinate. That was never an issue in the past, but in the last couple of months, it has developed.

Up at 3AM, then 4:30, then 6, I usually just stay up at 6 if I am feeling good enough. This is after crashing at midnight...

Has anyone else ever had this stuff happen?

I guess this is day 2 for me, if I can stay on track and not drink, this weekend...
Hi there. I also began suffering from similar types of vision issues after many years of heavy drinking. After quitting drinking, my eyesight cleared up.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

If I had based my recovery solely upon my feelings I would not be sober right now. Some say recovery isn't for those who need it, but for those who want it. I say recovery is for people who work for it, whether they want it or not.
I agree wholeheartedly, Bamboozle, and you put it so well!

I didn't want to quit either. All I could say is that I wanted to want to quit. Basically, I didn't want to die an alcoholic.

You really can do this, Master - it takes some time to get used to being sober (many months for me), but in the scheme of things, it's really not all that much time. I'm glad you're reaching out for support - that's huge.:ghug3
Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this time can be your last time TM - I too had a large catalogue of ailments that got better, once I quit.

D
Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Blood sugar test

Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post

Call your doctor and tell him/her about the frequent urination and also if you've been constantly thirsty. Ask about a fasting blood glucose test - it's a ***** on the finger and it will immediately identify diabetes if you've developed it.

While you're at it, you may want to discuss your drinking too.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by profwebs View Post
Take what you need and leave the rest.
Or, how about "almost none of us liked the self- searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation"?

The recovered alcoholics didn't take what they needed and leave the rest. The took specific, precise actions that led to a spiritual awakening and freedom from alcohol.

Walking into AA, still reeling from my last binge, stinking of booze, hopeless and desperate, I had zero idea what I needed. I had a lot of opinions about what I thought I needed, but really? A guy that can't seem to stay sober despite his best efforts knowing what he needs to stay sober? Just where did I gain that vast knowledge of what was required for lasting sobriety?

I had no experience with lasting sobriety. Just a headful of beliefs based on what I wanted to be true or hoped to be true. I found that I had to let a lot of those old beliefs go and be open minded to some new ideas in order to recover.

quote aabb1st