Notices

New Issues from Drinking?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

Originally Posted by RunnerMD2be View Post
I apologize to the OP, I didnt see that they had over 130 posts :P
No apologies are necessary.

Every time I leave & come back, it's a fresh start.

I haven't even gone to re-read those 130 postings, as they pertain to then and not now.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

Originally Posted by MeAndOnlyMe View Post
Call your doctor and tell him/her about the frequent urination and also if you've been constantly thirsty. Ask about a fasting blood glucose test - it's a ***** on the finger and it will immediately identify diabetes if you've developed it.

While you're at it, you may want to discuss your drinking too.
No need... I already know I'm type 2 diabetic.

One of the many reasons to stop that I deluded myself out of realizing it.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

your first paragraph made me nod too...I could have written it.

and i will agree with others who have said it is a progressive disease. You can see the signs for yourself, you might want to tell your doctor about your eyesight issues, frequent urination and your your blood glucose readings. You only have one pancreas.

I never wanted to quit....but I knew I was slowly committing suicide. once i got to sober, i got to a much more normal sleep pattern too. I have suffered from insomnia for years, now i feel like i sleep as a normal person, 6-7 hours regularly.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

TheMaster,

What will it take to define in your mind that beverage Alcohol is killing you? From your past posts, I do not think you a foolish person, but rather a defiant Drunk who will not surrender.

Get full of booze and make a decision to live free or drink and die. It is really quite simple. There is hope for one such as you, if you are willing to make the effort. If I can help you find a path that works for you I will, but you must make a decision first.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I just had a 4 night drinkfest, alternating between scotch & beer (I only drink at night, none of thet wake up to a drink stuff). I don't know how to use the quote box...

Well I gotta say..if you were like me after a "drinkfest" you wouldn't have to drink in the morning...why? You are most likely still drunk when you wake up. I didn't realize that until I had a good run of days sober. I would wake up dizzy..disoriented. I hope you give sobriety a go...Drinking is a slow death. It will bite you in the @ss before you knew what hit you.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

I went to an AA meeting, last night... It was pleasantly different from the last group I went to (there are many groups here in Charlotte).

I plan to go back. I'm really dreading this weekend, though.

Maybe now is the time to try to get a 2nd job for the weekends, lol.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've had the eyesite issues and nighttime bathroom visits mostly since I quit drinking as they can be just age issues whether or not you drink.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I've had the eyesite issues and nighttime bathroom visits mostly since I quit drinking as they can be just age issues whether or not you drink.
Possibly, but neither happened sober... Maybe once in the night, but not every hour or 2..
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I remember my first sober weekend...I had some big help from my new friends here on SR, but I made a "plan " of sorts...i cleaned up my kitchen, went grocery shopping for real healthy food and cooked a nice meal....brought to my mother who is in a nursing home.

I've stopped living like a slob and putting things away, de-cluttering, organizing, donating. later that spring I adopted a little dog that i walk with every day...I had a very nice garden this past season.

I re-discovered some hobbies and get regular exercise. I recently purchased a nook-type-multimedia ereader and love it...the Barnes and Noble in my area has a coffee cafe, not a bar.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
No need... I already know I'm type 2 diabetic.

One of the many reasons to stop that I deluded myself out of realizing it.
I don't know if you know the fascinating science involved with diabetes and the amazing things our bodies do but alcohol is one of the absolute worst things diabetics and overindulge in. Punishing your liver to metabolize the alcohol, putting nutrient metabolism on-hold, stressing your pancreas to produce more and more insulin that won't be used to bring your blood glucose down and sending your kidneys into overdrive to help eliminate the excess blood sugar.

For what it's worth, when I stopped constantly drinking my pre-diabetic BG levels went back down to normal, moods stabilized, blood pressure went back down to normal and I began to have restorative sleep periods.

I hope I'm not sounding preachy - one of my children has type 1 diabetes and I find all of this to be incredibly interesting. If I were starting my education all over again and I was 20 year younger I'd go to medical school to study endocrinology.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I recall my chaplain in rehab stating that alcoholism is a disease that makes us think we don't have it....ie: denial.

When I went to my first AA meeting I saw a sign that said "The chains of alcohol are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken.".
Worth repeating.