Notices

Hallucinations at night?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hallucinations at night?

Anyone here every develop hallucinations at night? I did when my drinking got really heavy. I was seeing a counselor at the time who never believed me and insisted I was dreaming that I was awake in my house and seeing things. But my bf at the time and I proved it - I woke up him up when they were happening to prove I was really awake.

It was only in the middle of the night and the things I saw were vivid just as though they were real.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Matt M

Yes I had them many times.
It was always at night and always when I was trying to go to sleep. My heart was racing and it felt like a panic attack aswell, everytime I lay down and shut my eyes I had loads of random images flashing before me, hallucinations and sometimes was unsure what was real and what wasn't. I also jerked violently every now and again.
I think that was a combination of alcoholism and stress, because at the time I was under alot of stress in a relationship.
That happened over the period of a year but it came to an end about a month ago where it got worse and I ended up having a seizure and going into hospital. Thankfully they sorted me out but I would suggest going to your doctor and explaining it to them, and if you're going to stop drinking do it the right way.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

I get hallucinations once in a blue moon, but not alcohol related.

Having hallucinations when drinking but not drunk is a pretty serious warning sign. That's one of the signs that alcohol withdrawal may be coming severe. I wouldn't take a lot of chances with those by forsaking a doctor.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you're talking past tense goldengirl...but I think anyone with hallucinations anytime - but especially related to drinking - needs to see a Dr.

D
Old 11-29-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to get them all the time.

I would open my eyes after just barely waking up and think I see something. usually I thought it was harmful, like a huge spider or even a sense that someone was in my place(I live alone.)

One time 2 nights after I drank whiskey I awoke and really really thought someone was in the hallway headed towards me while I lay in bed. I actually opened the window and dove out it head first. It's about a 8 foot drop. I walked through the yards between homes and suddenly I realized I must have freaked out over nothing.

They have since for the most part gone away since quitting the drink. But to really keep them away I sleep with a light on. It helps because when I open my eyes I can see. If this happens in pitch black darkness my eyes play tricks on me.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, spiders crawling all over the walls but this was during withdrawals (naively unsupervised) during my first 4-month detox. Not pleasant at all.

Do see a doc... Best wishes in the meantime.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yeah, I had hallucinations while drinking and drugging. The worst were when detoxing in fact for me. My final detox was supervised, there was no other way, as all the unsupervised detoxes failed. Serious stuff you're experiencing and not to be ignored or otherwise justified away like as if it was something akin to dreaming. Check it out.

Hallucinations are a true indicator of having a loss of contact with reality: otherwise known as a pyschotic experience or episode. Pyschosis is not a simple explained experience, and needs medical attention ASAP.

Eventually, I was diagnosed with having a serious mental illness along with my alcoholism. My ongoing sobriety really helped [still helps] to ending the hallucinations. Best wishes, and hope you get this seriously looked after.

Rob
Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mine were not hallucinations you see with your eyes closed. What I saw was physical beings in the room that looked as real as anything in the room. The first few times I saw them I was fascinated...I'm a computer scientist so I had to investigate and explore. But it quickly turned to terror. It was usually some sort of being in the room staring at me. Once a man was dancing and it lit up the room, the most vivid of them.

I was a heavy drinker. They seemed to occur regardless if I was going through withdrawal or not.

And yes...I'm speaking in the past tense. I have been sober for about 3 months now. I have not seen one for at least a year...of course I keep my head down towards the ground if I go to the bathroom at night though.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you googled hypnagogic and hypnapompic hallucinations?

You might need to check my spelling

x
Old 11-29-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BKP

Totally, When i got clean i was seeing things as if i was moving in slow motion, i reflect on this and it continues to keep me sober, this and working the 12 steps and attending meetings. It is a horrific week i dealt with when i stopped the madness. It is normal for this type of disease- U can overcome.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like...

...my experience with sleep paralysis/night terrors.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, but I also go through periods where I have a lot of those half awake dreams that are also unrelated to/and preceded any alcohol abuse so it can be hard to differentiate.

I had a bunch the night before last...since I went on a 3 day binge culminating on a ridiculous amount on Friday. I was seeing a bunch of crazy things, but the only one I can really remember is thinking the Alien from "Aliens" was by my bed talking to/threatening me and trying to eat my face.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goldengirl3 View Post
Anyone here every develop hallucinations at night? I did when my drinking got really heavy. I was seeing a counselor at the time who never believed me and insisted I was dreaming that I was awake in my house and seeing things. But my bf at the time and I proved it - I woke up him up when they were happening to prove I was really awake.

It was only in the middle of the night and the things I saw were vivid just as though they were real.
Very interesting thread. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't assume they're completely unrelated Polaris.
I hope you seek professional medical advice.

D
Old 12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeAndOnlyMe View Post
...my experience with sleep paralysis/night terrors.
I have had similar experiences, all extremely frightening beyond words. Hasn't happened in years and it was happening before my drinking got out of control though.

also experienced many episodes of hallucinations before my drinking problem and during and while detoxing.

Definitely get checked out by a doctor!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it's normal to have some visions just before dropping off to sleep. I read something about this in a psychology class. All I remember is the word hypnogogic. I hear music right before I fall asleep and sometimes a loud sound and I was worried but then I read in that class it was normal.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This sounds an awful lot like the DTs, which have a mortality rate of up to 35% if untreated. If anyone is having hallucination get yourself to a Dr. immediately.

Delirium tremens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-02-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dismember

I have to keep track of anything that resembles a hallucination with my doctor. Most of what I report is sensations right around the time I fall asleep. I've been told not to worry about those as it's normal. I'm not sure about "hypnagogic" but I do know that's Greek for "leading to sleep," so it's probably that state in-between.

Hallucinations in day time though can be serious, and should not be cast aside. I know at least three causes are DTs, schizophenia and brain tumors. None of those things do you want to "worry about later." Hallucinations might be illusions but that doesn't mean they're totally harmless. I and others I've met have wound up in hospitals due to hallucinations alone.