Notices

Alcoholic Psoriasis?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Psoriasis?

Anyone? I have some form of psoriasis and wonder if others experienced remission when they got sober.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

On my scalp really bad the last 4-5 years when I was heavy boozing.. I notice it gets a lot better during my sober periods...
Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so happy someone started this thread. I have micro-managed my psoriasis for so many years and I know it's part of the reason I drink.

The funny thing is that the one thing that helped my psoriasis was methotrexate (oral) but while I am drinking my liver functioning is too high to be a candidate to take it. It's like the chicken & the egg for me.

When I stopped drinking my psoriasis got dramatically better. Alcohol dries out the body and dehydrates skin which of course promotes dry skin and the multiplication of those skin cells.

Psoriasis, like alcoholism, is it's own special kind of hell.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Much reduced since I've been sober, so I think there's a theme here

D
Old 11-28-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had weird issues like this even when i was a kid eating junk foods and loads of sugar.

I got it now in my eyebrows some and a little on my cheeks. My scalp is okay now.

At any rate, I found a decent cure that helps a lot. Rub virgin coconut oil on it. Amazing. It's a natural anti fungal food.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had major facial peeling and scabbing at the peak of my drinking. Right around the eyebrows and nose. Has improved greatly since getting sober
Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Always scaley on my shoulders and back (especially during the winter months). It has cleared up significantly and it has only been three months. I'm glad you started this thread because I've been wondering if there was a correlation between the two. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol is definitely a major trigger for my psoriasis. The next day after a particularly heavy drinking session, it will get much, much worse (over night!).

Hormonal changes and stress can also cause it to flare up.

M
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol is loaded with sugar. Especially those beers that are sweetened.

Sure there must be a link as excess amounts of sugar can cause reactions in the body and manifest themselves on the skin.

For me, I have to avoid alcohol and sugar to feel and look good. I was one of those teenagers who got acne from even thinking about sugar.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm hoping to see an improvement in my psoriasis soon, now I've quit smoking and drinking.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Like others, my psoriasis has improved a lot since I've quit drinking. It's never totally gone, and I treat minor flare ups with a steroid spray. It's at a manageable level that I can accept.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yup, at the peak of my drinking, my psoriasis flared badly. I get it on my hands. During active drinking days, my hands looked like they had been shredded. Horrible. Now, in sobriety, almost completely gone except for a small spot on one pinkie. Phew...
Old 11-29-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Yup, at the peak of my drinking, my psoriasis flared badly. I get it on my hands. During active drinking days, my hands looked like they had been shredded. Horrible. Now, in sobriety, almost completely gone except for a small spot on one pinkie. Phew...
How long have you been sober, and how long did it take for you to notice that your psoriasis had improved, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-29-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
How long have you been sober, and how long did it take for you to notice that your psoriasis had improved, if you don't mind me asking?
No probs. I actually didn't notice for a long time ! It would have healed within the first 12 months for sure. Probably much earlier than that but as I said, I completely forgot about it (sign in itself). Sober for 6 yrs+
Old 11-29-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
No probs. I actually didn't notice for a long time ! It would have healed within the first 12 months for sure. Probably much earlier than that but as I said, I completely forgot about it (sign in itself). Sober for 6 yrs+
Good to hear. Mine only began about three years ago, but has got steadily worse. I have been told it can be a early warning sign of liver damage. I will just have to pray that is goes, as it's very unpleasant. Thanks for replying. Best wishes for the future.