Notices

Funny story...but made me cry

Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Funny story...but made me cry

I woke up in tears this morning. This the second time its happened to me in the course of my recovery. I had a dream last night that I was drinking again, itt was a rather vivid dream to. You know how when you wake up in the morning, as soon as your eyes open your still somewhat out of it; still half asleep so to speak. Well it was almost as if I was hung over. So like I said when I woke up I started balling:rotfxko, telling myself I just let my almost 11 months go down the drain. As soon as I came to I realized it was just a dream and I just started laughing at myself . Boy was I happy it was just a dream. I just wanted to share that with all my friends here at SR.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! That same sort of thing happened to me this morning when I woke up. I only have 3 months, but I was so upset thinking I had drank and so relieved when I realized it was just a bad dream. Maybe this is happening because of the holiday season is amongst us.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is the second time I've had this sort of dream. They are so vivid that I can almost taste the booze in my dream. I guess that's why they are so surreal. The first time I had this sort of dream was when I had about 6 months of sobriety. I guess it is good that I'm having them every once in a while so as to remind me how precious and how much I value my sobriety and recovery process/program.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by johndelko408 View Post
This is the second time I've had this sort of dream. They are so vivid that I can almost taste the booze in my dream. I guess that's why they are so surreal. The first time I had this sort of dream was when I had about 6 months of sobriety. I guess it is good that I'm having them every once in a while so as to remind me how precious and how much I value my sobriety and recovery process/program.
I occasionally have dreams of drinking to, but have never had them affect me for more than a few minutes after I wake up. I also occasionally have dreams of drowning, falling, being hit by a train, etc... Does not mean it will happen.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by johndelko408 View Post
I occasionally have dreams of drinking to, but have never had them affect me for more than a few minutes after I wake up. I also occasionally have dreams of drowning, falling, being hit by a train, etc... Does not mean it will happen.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Now when those type dreams occur...they are less scary but still seem very real at the time. I hope that I always keep in mind somehow (even in my dreams) what my life was like before I quit drinking. It lets me know what is out there waiting for me should I ever decide to become complacent in my recovery. I don't battle those thoughts anymore about whether to drink or not drink. The obsession has been removed. I hope I never forget where I came from.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hate those dreams! I relate though.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

I constantly have dreams that I wake up from where it takes a long time to realize they were only dreams. The drinking ones are definitely the worst.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had those twice last week! It was my third week of sobriety. I was so scared and angry with myself when I woke up. Even in the dream, I knew I didn't really want to drink but the temptation was just too much. I'm grateful that they were only dreams!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i hate those dreams. i had one last night that had me wide awake at 4am, glad that i wasn't trying to go back to sleep.

it usually puts me in a sour mood the rest of the day because i usually dream that i'm drinking over some of my issues of the past that were difficult for me to deal with at the time.

i also have ptsd and sometimes it gets a little tricky to manage.

but you know what? i kept thinking to myself today..."if that's the only place these demons can still try to take me, then i'm winning the war."
Old 11-28-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WatchTheSky View Post
I had those twice last week! It was my third week of sobriety. I was so scared and angry with myself when I woke up. Even in the dream, I knew I didn't really want to drink but the temptation was just too much. I'm grateful that they were only dreams!
I felt the same exact way. Even in my dream I knew I didn't want it but the compulsion was to great. I even regretted it in my dream. I was listening to a recorded seminar today that was talking about that when we agitate the "box of secrets" in our head that these drunk dreams come about. They said its perfectly normal and that its a part of our recovery process. Nothing to worry about so to speak.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Soberween......
Thanks for sharing with us....Welcome to our recovery dommunity
Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just woke up at 4 a.m. from a dream that I was drinking a shot of vodka. That wasn't even my drink of choice, and yet I could taste it. Seriously. It jarred me, and I immediately got on here to calm myself down. Thankfully, I won't miss the sleep, as I slept in the car on the drive back home yesterday, so I am well, well rested. So relieved it was just a dream....
Old 11-29-2010, 04:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I just had a dream that I drank a glass of wine, then stood there and said "Now what the hell did I do that for?"
Only a dream.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh yes, I've had these vivid dreams almost every night for the last week, provoked (and provoking) recent drinking episodes.

Nothing revelatory in the dreams - huge family rows, employers let down, public humiliation, shamed and abandoned by my past mentors etc, all sadly part of my history. It's a horrid way to start the day but unfortunately it's become yet another part of the alcoholism trap for me right now.

Still, I'm grateful to have SR today. Thanks guys.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had those as well John and they were frightening especially when I first woke up. What I found was they did pass as time went on and I am grateful everyday that those were just dreams.

Thx for sharing!!