Notices

Re-Discovering food!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Matt M

Re-Discovering food!

Since almost completely cutting out alcohol since my hospital scare last month, I've noticed that my appetite has suddenly come back.
I don't know if anyone else has had this?
I know that with alcoholism there comes a loss of appetite, but I never thought it would shoot back as fast as this!

Many years ago when I first really started having booze problems I lost a hell of alot of weight in a really short space of time, at one point my family became genuinely concerned because they thought I was on heroin or something.
It made me happy tho because when I was younger I was always overweight, so it felt good.

Past few years my appetite has been shot away, I used to get annoyed when other people had to eat around me and it became awkward when i'd go out and just couldn't anywhere near finish a meal. I could easily go two days without eating a thing, and often did.

Now i always seem to be hungry. Just need to be careful that I don't put on loads of weight!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you're at the stage of a hospital scare i would get some help asap...food is not really the issue...good luck!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
If you're at the stage of a hospital scare i would get some help asap...food is not really the issue...good luck!
No i've been in hospital for 2 weeks!
It was basically down to alcohol withdrawal initially and then somehow i managed to badly break my shoulder.
But when I came out and stopped drinking I suddenly felt hungry again.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool well eat up then, that will sort itself out...do you have a program of recovery in place for the drinking?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Cool well eat up then, that will sort itself out...do you have a program of recovery in place for the drinking?
I should have on Tuesday when I see the alcohol nurse, so need to see how i'm going to go from there. My original thought was that i'd be able to have the occasional sociable drink now and again, but from what i've been told it's likely to be no alcohol whatsoever or nothing.
I went into hospital for alcohol withdrawal seizures, which can apparently kill you, so that was a waking up point.
Still a complete mystery how I managed to break my shoulder tho.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A seizure...wow!

Its crazy what can happen whilst drinking, a friend of mine got mugged on his way back home from a bar and what should have been a smack in the face and a sore cheek in the morning turned into a broken collar bone cos he was so drunk when the guy hit him he span like a bottle top with such momentum that he lost his footing and went to the floor hard! Remind me that stuff does happen in life but alcohol can always make it worse!

Anyways AA worked for me and has a solution when you are finished...hope you find your way and nice to virtually meet you:-)
Old 11-27-2010, 12:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Matt M

Apparently my break was a trauma break and the doctors said you can't get it by just falling over or falling into something, it's more like something from a car accident.
I still think I did it when I had the seizures, but everyone is baffled. So I think i'll just start telling everyone that I did it when I got shot foiling a bank robbery!

I'm skeptical about AA, simply because of the religious aspect of it. I'm an athiest and there is no way I could sit through anything religious. No offence to the people it's helped, but it's not for me.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

See if there are any SMART meetings in your area
Your nurse should have a lists of resources Matt.

Please check out this link...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Glad to see you again ..
Old 11-27-2010, 03:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was drinking every damn day I wasn't eating right at all and most of my caloric intake was from wine. Now my appetite is back and I enjoy food again. It tastes much better and I'm back to a healthy weight.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, Matt!

Great that you have your appetite back, and it's so much more fun to eat "good" food--whether that means "good" nutritionally, like veggies and fruit, or "good" taste-wise, like pizza and ice cream!

On AA: I am an agnostic and continue to be, AND AA works for me, because I understand a power greater than self (for me, the power of sustained recovery that emanates from the people in the rooms) that is going to help me stay sober. I may get blasted for saying that by other people on this thread, but the 12 & 12 clearly states that this is an acceptable way through the door to spirituality--which is NOT religion. AA is not a religious program, and if you would give it a FAIR chance (i.e., more than 3 meetings), you would come to see this. You could also share your concerns, as you have here. AA is open to all, and there are even AA groups specifically for agnostics and atheists (you can Google information about them, though they mostly convene in big cities like NYC and DC). Also look on the secular forums on this site.

The point is, we cannot recover in isolation, and face-to-face contact is--in my opinion--crucial to sustained sobriety. I love meetings--it's like free therapy, even when I don't share--and I also rely on a therapist whose specialty is addiction. I also have a sponsor who is totally supportive of the fact that I don't believe in a traditional "God." and I call her everyday as we work through thr Steps. I am glad you are going to see a nurse to talk to openly about your plan for recovery, and I urge you to keep an open mind about anything she has to say. Be willing. That is the most important thing.

Sorry if I got carried away, but I had to offer my opinion on the AA topic. Take is with a grain of salt until you do your own investigative research into the program Also,I want to say that AA is not the only way, and I do use elements of SMART Recovery in my program. There is no "right" way to stay sober, but there are definitely plenty of self-defeating, "wrong" ways, which can eventually lead to relapse (and I'm speaking from experience!). Be good to yourself. I look forward to reading your posts.

Viavai
Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've actually lost weight since quitting drinking, but I was on the higher end of the "healthy" range anyway and sobriety isn't the only factor in the weight loss. Regardless of weight, I do enjoy food more when I'm not hungover! I hear a lot of non-alcoholics say they "cure" their hangovers by eating a hamburger the next morning. I never understood that! Hangovers made it so difficult for me to eat. We absorb nutrients better when we're not drinking, so our bodies are more satisfied. Our digestion process is smoother. I never ate while drunk, but now I have to watch the "midnight snacks" and try to replace them with tea to avoid gaining weight. Food is fun! I was hungry all the time in my first week of sobriety and now it's evened out. You'll be alright, just enjoy re-discovering food for now!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Feels damn good to eat again don't it!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I ended up gaining weight from drinking. Same thing I didn't eat as much, but all those empty calories. Now since stop drinking I am hoping that I can finally lose some weight!

Enjoy your food!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hm...when I was drinking heavily and especally when I would go on a 3-4 day benders, I wouldn't eat anything and I mean anything...I would always buy a small bag of crisps but would never open it. Then again, I consumed industrial amounts of beer which has quite a bit of calories.
When I quit drinking 4 weeks ago, my appetite improved AND I lost a bit of weight at the same time, especially around the waist which has always been my only problem zone. Double victory, I say
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i enjoy food alot more now that i'm sober. i used to live on fast food when i was drinking.

this last year, it's been all about fresh fruit, veggies with lots of grilled chicken and fish. i really relish in the cleaner living.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what resources are available where you see your alcohol nurse but could you ask her to refer you to a dietican or a nutritionist who has some experience with this? Your body is probably 'making up for lost time' on relation to the food and I'd imagine it'll settle down after a while. In saying that, it isn't unusual for people to replace the alcohol with food so do mention it to the alcohol nurse.

Good luck with it all. You're doing great

M
Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Matt, I am glad you are here and all went well in the hospital. I too had zero appetite when I drank because I was filling up drinking and always putting off food. I was soley focused on drinking and nothing else mattered too much including my health.

You have good input here and of course you have plenty of support here at SR. I do urge you to please get a recovery plan in place. Just detoxing and going right back into my life without any support didn't take me very far.

Glad you are here!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Matt - Same thing happened to me. When I was drinking, my stomach was shot. I was having digestive problems, I was nauseous, I couldn't eat a lot at all. After being sober for a few weeks, my stomach settled down and I started regaining my appetite. Not being hung over and lethargic all the time, I had more energy and was out doing more stuff, contributing to my appetite.

I am so glad that I suffered no permanent damage (at least I think so) to my internal organs after years of abuse. Today, I enjoy eating all sorts of food, cooking, etc. I'd probably have the problem of gaining too much weight if it weren't for the fact that I am exercising regularly, 5 times a week at least, another benefit of sobriety and having more energy!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by whenartdeparts View Post
hm...when I was drinking heavily and especally when I would go on a 3-4 day benders, I wouldn't eat anything and I mean anything...I would always buy a small bag of crisps but would never open it. Then again, I consumed industrial amounts of beer which has quite a bit of calories.
When I quit drinking 4 weeks ago, my appetite improved AND I lost a bit of weight at the same time, especially around the waist which has always been my only problem zone. Double victory, I say

Yeah in the past I tried not to eat much simply to lose weight, but over the past few years it's been because I physically haven't been able to eat much and haven't felt hungry!
Seeing people eat really used to annoy me too, but that's not so bad now. Altho people who eat on short coach/bus journeys still annoy me, I don't understand why people can't travel for 20 minutes without grazing on food.
And I won't even get started on people who eat in cinemas!

Viavai - To be honest I didn't know much at all about AA so what you said was interesting. I actually spoke to my alcohol nurse today and said I was skeptical about AA but she has given me details of another group in my local area which sounds more suitable to me.