Notices

Question

Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

What is the definition of an alcoholic and how do I know if I have become one?

For me it's all or none. I can turn drinks down, but once I have one, I can never just have one or two. I do not drink daily, just binge drinking. I do not suffer physical withdrawl symptoms. My first black out was in high school and there have been many as well as portions of the night that I don't remember. This happens often. Last night was one for the record books.

To top it all off, I drove home. My oldest kid saw me hammered and is not speaking to me.

I am full of self loathing right now. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous asks 2 questions which help differentiate between the alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Each person can only answer for themselves. "If, when you honestly want to, you find that you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic." --taken from We Agnostics

---------------
All quotes taken from AA Big Book First Edition.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From your short description, it sounds like it would be best if you stopped drinking. Its not so much to do with amounts, it is what happens when we do drink. Of course there is always the old statement that non-alcoholics rarely wonder if they are alcoholic. You do not need to say you are an alcoholic to join AA, you just need to desire to stop drinking.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not being able to stop after a drink or two isn't a great sign. I can easily if i decide too, just rarely do. Blackouts are pretty much norm on a night on the razz for most people at uni over here, you're barely considered drunk if you don't wake up saying to your mate "Haha i cant remember ****".
Old 11-21-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me that's hard to define...all I know is my life is better without it....on all levels!!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't binge, just drank wine all day every day, just enough to keep me numb. Might as well have been hooked up to an IV alcohol drip...

The definition of alcoholism doesn't depend on what you drink, or how much or how often, but what happens to you when you drink and if it's causing problems in your life. If you drove drunk then yes, I'd say it was a problem.

I finally gave it up for good. No more trying to moderate. Just gave it up completely. Coming up on a year sober and feeling better than I have felt for a long time. No more regret and self hatred. No more wasted time and money. No more risk of health problems or legal problems.

I hope you can give it up for good. It takes effort but is so worth it.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to binge drink on the weekends. Because I didn't drink every day I thought I was not an alcoholic. I refused to accept the warning signs and allowed my disease to progress. I eventually wound up drinking 24/7 after I had destroyed most of everything in my life. I didn't realize it at the time but I was very much an alcoholic when I binged on the weekends. If I had gotten help back then my recovery would have been so much easier.

Driving hammered with your children in the car is more than a red flag. I know other alcoholics who were not so lucky when they chose to drink and drive. It is so much easier to accept help now rather than later.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just to clarify, I have never driven drunk with my kids in the car- I was alone. That said, what I did was horrific and I could have hurt or killed someone else and their kids and for that I am deeply ashamed. I pray I won't EVER do that again.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Hypo

There's all kinds of self-tests out there - nothings definitive...but this ones a standard...
Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST), Revised

But really - do you want to be *that guy*? I think that's the important question here.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

It sort of sounds like you have the symptoms of an alcoholic. You mentioned that once you have a drink that you can't have just one or two, which in my opinion sounds like you've lost your ability to control your drinking. In the book alcoholics anonymous it describes that as being the uncontrollable allergy set of by alcohol. I didn't actually drink daily all the time, but like you described, once I had one I could no longer control it and I too would drink myself into blackout. Which is also a symptom of alcoholic drinking. The last thing I wanted to comment on was you mentioned your oldest child is not talking to you. My mother is also an alcoholic and I harbored a resentment towards her for the longest time, until I got into AA and started working the steps. My reason for not drinking anymore is actually my kids. I want to be involved in their lives and I don't want them to have the same resentment towards me as I did to my mother. I'm not one to judge, but in my opinion I would try AA, try the 90 in 90 (90 meetings in 90 days). Its not going to kill you and you never know you might just like your life better without alcohol. If anything I'm sure your kids would appreciate it. Just some food for thought, hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Be it alcohol dependence or abuse, both can equality destructive. If alcohol is causing problems, as I see it is for you. The best solution is to have a plan of treatment.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community......

Please check out this link.....blackouts are discussed
as well as other valuable info on alcoholism

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Blessings to you and your family