Notices

Nation Quit Drinking Day

Old 11-20-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nation Quit Drinking Day

There is a National Smoke-Out day (or something to that effect), in which people make a coordinated effort to give up smoking.

Now, the main benefit of having a "National Smoke-Out Day" is not that everyone who pledges to quit on that day actually succeeds in doing so; rather the overwhelming benefit is in raising awareness of the dangers of smoking.

I propose therefore, that we create a "National Dry-Out Day" in which folks can agree to give up drinking. A recent study indicated that alcohol was by far and large the most dangerous drug in America, in terms of of its impact on society (deaths, crime, violence, family issues, job issues, lost productivity, health and medical cost, drunk driving).

Of course, the big beer and alcohol companies (Coors, Anheuser-Busch, Miller, Seagram's) would be completely against this. But this would go a long way towards raising awareness of the harm introduced by alcohol consumption.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that's and actual genius idea Jupiter! Now how do we get it passed????
Old 11-20-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Didn't the Government try something like that January 16, 1920?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If I could wave a majik wand and remove alcohol from the face of earth I would do it. Thing is even "normal" drinkers are so brain washed they will defend alcohol like a religion.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Great idea!!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have my own private national dry out day... every day!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome idea, but I don't think it will ever happen. The alcohol companies love to glamorize drinking & there's too much of their money at stake. I'm with least - I'm aiming to make every day my national dry out day!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going to be more hopeful...smoking was once considered glamorous and no one can deny the lobbying power that Philip Morris had. I have hope that one day society can see alcohol for what it is a dangerous drug. I don't hope this for my sake but for all the kids out there who are being raised to believe that its normal and cool to drink poison.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Didn't the Government try something like that January 16, 1920?
According to Wiki (I know, I know......it's just Wiki), temperance movements have been documented since the early 1800's around the world.
Temperance movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For me, anytime I was told I "couldn't drink" I just wanted to drink even more. Heck, I know some heroine and crack addicts and that stuff's not even legal...it's not only "recommended" that one doesn't take that stuff, it's not legal to have it and it's generally not even socially "acceptable" behavior to take it....

Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

'Not one drinker in a thousand likes to be told something about alcohol by one who hates it.' having said that, i consider AA to be my entire recovery program and as such i have no opinion on outside issues, especially with regard to other peoples consumption of alcohol. Would that not be setting myself up as a hypocrite?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There actually are people out there who can drink responsibly.

I wasn't one of them.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
There actually are people out there who can drink responsibly.
Yeah... I call 'em ABNORMAL drinkers. I think we're the ones who had it right all along.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Interestingly enough...even Normal Drinkers frequently get DUI's and kill people.

I don't think Jupiter was saying make it illegal...he was saying a national day to educate people on the dangers of alcohol, much in the way that was done with smoking, would not be amiss. Even here on SR I find it interesting that so many people support a drinking culture.

I also agree with DT...I would be more likely to smoke on National Smoke Out Day than other days because I am perverse. But I realized a lot sooner how awful smoking was to my well being because smoking has such a bad reputation in the states. I tried quitting smoking years before I tried quitting drinking, because everyone "knows" how good alcohol is for you.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah most people can enjoy a couple of drinks on occasion:-)

Could be National Drunks day i guess?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
a national day to educate people on the dangers of alcohol,
I agree with the motivation but I doubt it's efficacy. Heck, in AA meetings, in detox facilities, and here on SR there are people who have plenty of knowledge, admit they're alcoholics yet don't know it in their hart and/or DO anything about it. Even folks who die from this disease are generally adamant to the bitter end that it's not reeeeeally that bad.

Like I said though, more education might be a step in the right direction.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A quick trip through the newspaper will tell anyone of the dangers of alcohol. Reading between the lines though you'll find that alcohol in and of itself is harmless.
But!!! Since you brought it up I'll take the opportunity to remind everyone that with very few exceptions most, if not all, restrictive and oppressive laws, rules and regulations are the direct result of the irresponsible actions of a small and stupid minority.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Interestingly enough...even Normal Drinkers frequently get DUI's and kill people.

I don't think Jupiter was saying make it illegal...he was saying a national day to educate people on the dangers of alcohol, much in the way that was done with smoking, would not be amiss. Even here on SR I find it interesting that so many people support a drinking culture.

I also agree with DT...I would be more likely to smoke on National Smoke Out Day than other days because I am perverse. But I realized a lot sooner how awful smoking was to my well being because smoking has such a bad reputation in the states. I tried quitting smoking years before I tried quitting drinking, because everyone "knows" how good alcohol is for you.
Exactly -- this is what I was saying.

It's time that people actually became aware of the serious ADULT problems associated with alcohol, even in moderation and in abuse.

After all, a large percentage of us alcoholics/heavy drinkers did not start out drinking heavily. The disease took its course, and it's important that people realize that it's not just episodic binging that is bad, but that the substance itself has a host of negative effects.

Once again, I am in no way advocating prohibiting alcohol by any means. But just like everything else we buy and consume, it is critical to increase awareness of its detriments.

This would also serve to change social stigma associated with heavy-drinkers and help direct efforts towards recovery.

For example, people who are attempting to quit smoking are praised for their efforts. However, people who openly state that they are attempting to reduce their alcohol intake are viewed as having major issues -- any football commercial will show how the media is doing just the opposite in promoting drinking.