Notices

Quitting

Old 11-20-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting

I decided a couple of weeks ago to stop drinking.

In order for me to do this, I needed some concentrated time.

I made a quit date in the future (today).

I took a vacation from work. This way, I will not need to leave the house,
and will not be driving past the usual temptations.

I will be studying to take an exam on December 4th. A very difficult exam, the most difficult that I have ever taken, and I am good at taking exams.
The reason for this is to focus my mind on a project that does not involve alcohol.

These are the two things that I will be doing. I have been aware of this for some time now, and I hope I have made the appropriate adjustments in my daily life that will permit success.

If others are also quitting today (or near this period), I would like to know how your progress has been.

Jupiter
Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good decision....to stop drinking. Most of us are experts at stopping as we have done so many times. The challenge is to stay stopped, and we need a LOT of help to do that. Stopping is only the tip of the iceberg, what is your plan for recovery?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best of luck in your recovery. I have stopped drinking alcohol more than a thousand times. Quite insanely i never realised that my alcoholism is actually what i suffer from when i am sober, drinking alcohol actually relieves the symptoms of my alcoholism, this is why i drank. I needed to find a way to relieve my alcoholism instead of drinking. AA relieved my symptoms, it addressed the real issue and today i have no desire to drink because i because i treat my alcoholism not destructivelt but healthily.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paraffinalien View Post
Quite insanely i never realised that my alcoholism is actually what i suffer from when i am sober, drinking alcohol actually relieves the symptoms of my alcoholism, this is why i drank.
My word, Paraffinalien, that is the most sensible thing I have read here in 2 weeks of being a member. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Paraffinalien View Post
I needed to find a way to relieve my alcoholism instead of drinking. AA relieved my symptoms, it addressed the real issue and today i have no desire to drink because i because i treat my alcoholism not destructivelt but healthily.
Personally, I need to look for an alternative solution to achieve the same inner peace, but no doubt AA works for some people
Old 11-20-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoAlcoholToday View Post

Personally, I need to look for an alternative solution to achieve the same inner peace, but no doubt AA works for some people
The choice is to try going it alone or to use "alternate methods"....which relatively few succeed with for any length of time...OR....try the program that has worked for millions over the years and costs nothing. Hats off to those who are successful without AA/NA, but I'll stick with the percentages.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

All my best Jupiter....I sure hope your de tox period
goes smoothly......
and you ace the exam.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hey Jupiter! Glad you've decided to quit, and have a plan. Stay home, and keep candy nearby. Good luck on your exam!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good for you, Jupiter, for making the commitment! Good luck with your exam, too. Like julez said, some sugar will help with cravings. Get plenty of water and vitamins (esp. B complex).....

Keep reading and posting, too. It's necessary for us to have support while we're going through this. Welcome.....!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I decided a couple of weeks ago to stop drinking.

In order for me to do this, I needed some concentrated time.

I made a quit date in the future (today).

I took a vacation from work. This way, I will not need to leave the house,
and will not be driving past the usual temptations.

I will be studying to take an exam on December 4th. A very difficult exam, the most difficult that I have ever taken, and I am good at taking exams.
The reason for this is to focus my mind on a project that does not involve alcohol.

These are the two things that I will be doing. I have been aware of this for some time now, and I hope I have made the appropriate adjustments in my daily life that will permit success.

If others are also quitting today (or near this period), I would like to know how your progress has been.

Jupiter
Good call! Work and detox mix like oil and water.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're giving yourself two weeks before your exam, but remember to keep it in the day (just for today). That means, quite simply, that you won't drink today; let tomorrow take care of itself and tackle that day when it comes, not before. This is what has worked for me.

Don't worry too much about the studying right now. Your entire focus and your priority should be on your sobriety. I hope you keep an open mind and look for some face-to-face support as you begin your journey, because it is precisely when you start feeling physically better that the old thinking that you can drink "normally" comes calling. Remember that this disease is cunning, baffling, powerful, and it is my belief that one cannot recover in isolation. Let us be there for you. Let others be there for you, too.

I wish you the best. You CAN do a fantastic job on that exam by the time it rolls around, but first things first.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All the best Jupiter. Keep us updated on your progress. We are here for you
Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jupiter and welcome! There is a section here for people in their first two weeks...i can't link from my phone but its the section directly below this one. There you will find people at the same stage as you...I found it very helpful the fiyst few weeks and continue to 'hang kit's with the friends I made there. There are many ways to get sober...the most important constant seems to have a plan and be aware that quitting drinking is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak ...have you given any thoughts to a plan other than taking the time off and studying?

For me sobriety is a life long journey...I don't believe that one day all my questions will be answered and all my problems will be solved. The program I follow involves self help books, working with a life coach, taking care of myself physically mentally and emotiinally, meditation, SR and my dogs:-) every day gets better and better....sure things happen but they don't seem as insurmountable now that I am sober...even contemplating doing the hardest thing in my life now seems possible though I am not there yet. I hope that helps:-)

LaFemme
Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like La F said - if you feel like stretching yr wings, the 2 week and under thread is here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-14-a-3.html

We also have a November thread in Newcomers forum for those quitting this month
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2010-a-9.html

good luck Jupiter
D