Notices

How has YOUR life improved since becoming sober?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How has YOUR life improved since becoming sober?

Hello everyone. I haven't posted her in some time as I've been pretty busy. I've been sober since June of 2009, so I'm approaching one and a half years soon. The other day as I was driving to work I was thinking about how much better my life has become as a result of my sobriety. Here's a list of what first comes to mind:

-I'm in a wonderful relationship, and engaged. This relationship NEVER would have survived if I hadn't stopped drinking.

-I have a beautiful 4 month old daughter that has become my world.

-I recently got a new job...with a BIG jump in salary in a field that I'm very interested in. I'm so excited to start.

-I'm at my lowest weight- EVER! And...I barely have to work to stay at this weight. So long puffy drinking days.

-My financial situation has improved greatly, and soon, will be perfectly ideal.

Again, those are just a few that come to mind. Of course there are lots of other things such as not having to worry about hangovers and the dreaded "what did I do last night?", but sobriety has been a live changing event for me and I'm grateful every single day that I have the support system that I do, and that I was able to overcome this disease.

How has YOUR life imporoved?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

this is a good topic.

in 4 days, i'll have a year. here's how my life has improved.

1. I've saved $9,021.39 since my last drink

2. my family wants me around

3. i really really enjoy life

4. my friends depend on me more, and that makes me feel really good.

5. my daughter says to me "you're the best dad ever" and isn't in a toy store at the time. :rotfxko seriously...that probably means the most to me.

6. my artistic ability has improved drastically

7. my immune system is 100% better than it was.

8. i can think more clearly

9. my OCD is gone

10. i'm not paranoid anymore

11. I don't have nightmares anymore

12. I found out this year, i'm a "morning" person (as opposed to sleeping to 4pm every day)

13. i can write much more clearly now.

14. i've become a much more spiritual person now.

the list could go on and on. I'm on a gratitude high today. life is great.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

good topic Lindsay! First congrats on your sober time and turning your life Around! my life is 100% better Spiritually and that is Leading to all kinds of Amazing things..
Old 11-19-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just did the math, and coming up on a year sober I've saved at least $7,000 I would have spent/used to spend on wine!! No wonder my bills are getting paid on time and are caught up!

In other ways... I'm so much happier with my life and with myself. No more waking up hating myself.

I'm no longer too sick or too drunk to do things, especially necessary things. My house had never been cleaner and more organized and I'm taking really good care of my beloved dogs.

I've earned back the trust and respect of my kids.

And, more importantly, I've earned back my self respect and I trust myself these days.

Staying sober has opened up a whole new world to me, one that I was too drunk or too sick to even notice before... I feel 'free' for the first time in a long while! I am happy again - I wake up happy and go to bed happy!!

EVERYTHING has gotten better since being sober!!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

In some aspects it has, in others it hasn't. I'm still young in my sobriety so I think its to early to tell. I know we don't get prizes for trYing sober though.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been sober, one day at a time, for about 14 years.

I can answer the question in two words: "I'm alive".
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Only a couple months for me...the improvements are still sinking in. I'd have to say the most marked impovement is that my life no longer revolves around my drinking.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow so many things have improved in my life since getting sober. Great thread! It's always nice to think about this stuff, especially on a Friday morning.

-have an amazing girlfriend who is beautiful on the inside and out

-making strides in jiujitsu and my overall health

-feeling of confidence in myself

-going to college at night

-saving money

-discovering who my "real" friends are and weeding out anyone who is/was holding me back in life

-not hurting the ones I love with my crazy behavior

-developing a relationship with God.

-meeting so many wonderful people who are living life to the fullest by being sober

-feeling like I am capable of doing anything in this life

There are probably a lot more that I am forgetting here. I think that everything in my life has improved in sobriety. Sure it sucks sometimes having to actually deal with emotions but I know in my heart that drinking would just make those problems alot worse!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel so good about things now....relationships have improved greatly....my business is running smoothly...I have an inner peace Ive never had before...
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm just coming up on three months so my list is short:

-my face has cleared up, goodbye redness.

-i don't wake up with anxiety in the night.

-lots of $ not spent on booze and going to the right places to get myself caught up.

-being where i'm supposed to be, not having to hide or feel guilty, lie.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

-sleeping better

-less anxiety

-learning to handle stress

-Attitude adjustment: Wow! The cup is half full!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

peace and serenity. (most of the time
Old 11-19-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Lindsay,

Good question.

Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
How has YOUR life improved?
I am still new to recovery. The hangovers, sweats, shakes, withdrawal et al are no longer there. But now i have more sleepless nights stressing about the things that i was previously numb to. That which i was running away from is largely still there. I'm still seeking out new friends to replace the ones that i can no longer hang out with.

My life certainly is in the process of improving. But I do not yet feel like it has improved.

[but as i'm writing this i'm realizing that i have been getting more done]

Tacks
Old 11-19-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I no longer wake up in a state of panic.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I no longer wake up in the morning and feel that I am broken.

Haven't felt like that in a long time...
Old 11-19-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Too numerous to name.. Everything, even the good stuff in my old life is so much better now than I ever imagined. I'm confident, proud of every day I live. My greatest blessings are my soon to be 1 year old son, who celebrates his birthday at the end of this month, and my happy, fulfilling marriage that has weathered storms it shouldn't have had to. New house, that is more beautiful than I ever thought I'd live in. Amazing relationships with my friends and family members. Awesome job. I count ALL my blessings each and every single day, as I know how easy it would be to lose them.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, great replies everyone!

You know, I remember always hearing that it takes a year or so for your brain to return to it's normal functioning. When I was drinking I used to think that was crazy! However, I now realize that there is some truth to it. I can remember early on in sobriety feeling like I was thinking clearly, but looking back I still wasn't completely back to my normal self. It's amazing the impact that alcoholic haze can have on the brain.

So, that's another important improvement... I now think rationally and clearly. I'm back to ME, not that awful person that the alcohol made me. The decisions I made while drunk were completely outrageous, and it's frightening and sickening looking back. I LOVE my new found sense of control in my decision making.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great thread and thank you. It is wonderful to see what the future holds.

I actually make plans and keep them...I take care of myself, my dogs and my house...I am taking tangible steps to move I to the career I always wanted but was afraid to reach for....

My heart is full of joy and gratitude.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've made real friends. While I was drinking I shut myself aways, and lost lots of friends. I was beginning to think I'd be lonely forever.

But when I stopped drinking, I got out and pursued some hobbies, and slowly but surely, I made some real friends.

I'm listening to other people more.

I'm beginning to feel normal again. I'm remembering the things I enjoyed doing as a child, as corny as that sounds.

I've lost weight and my circulation is better (my hands and feet aren't always cold). I sleep better (that took a long time to happen, but it did).

Also, I don't have crazy road rage. I'm such a peaceful driver, it's almost crazy in its own way. "You go! No, YOU first. No, YOU!"
Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Many of mine have already been said but it's worth saying again! In 7 months:

On a physical level, my feet no longer tingle every night, I no longer wake up in a panic in the middle of most nights, and I don't have to get up to pee 4 times every night either. I've lost weight and my energy levels are improved.

I don't have hysterical arguments anymore and I don't break things. I am more able to let things go than ever before. I understand my place in the world much better.

I have achieved things in my career that would have been impossible before, because I have had the courage to pursue things I never would have tried to pursue before.

I have money in my checking account at the end of the month, and I've paid off over $5,000 of credit card debt (not too much more to go!).

And most amazingly, perhaps, I have 95% finished my Christmas shopping for this year ALREADY, and have delighted in the chance to find thoughtful gifts for those I love. It is a joy to be able to think of others more, now that I don't spend so much time worrying about my dang self and all those problems that are now gone!