Notices

How has YOUR life improved since becoming sober?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lindsay ......
Glad to see you here again...and doing so well.

Hmmm...
in my current 21 years of AA recovery......I have experienced
ups and downs....valleys and peaks of life.
I'm the most grateful for the deep sure knowing
that my God is directing the journey.....

Congratulations to everyone in sobriety....
Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

A little bit of money saved...have a little better job.

Have a cat.

Getting treated for depression rather than trying to treat it myself.

My parents don't have to worry about me nearly as much.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
High on Life

I'm still a little under 3 months so I haven't experienced too many things, but so far:

I am not sabotaging my relationship and caught in that cycle of binge drinking, guilt and despair.

I am not making my situation worse.

Training for marathons and body building is much easier when you don't binge drink
Old 11-20-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Getting the monkey off my back describes it.
For a while he was like a pet. But turned into something that I just could not stand anymore. It took a while to get rid of him (he kep't trying to jump back on) but he finally wen't away.
Here recently I have a cousin that I had been watching over take a turn for the worse. He has been bouncing out of the hospital and nursing home ,back and forth. The last 2 weeks I have been overwhelmed with red tape and health care people where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
There is no way I could deal with all this 2 years ago when I was drinking. I would have been wondering if the problem wasn't me because I was too hungover, or just wanted to leave and get drunk. Which is what I'd be doing,drinking more because the world is so unfair.
Now I just do all I can,and if I can't change something. I know I tried with a clear head. I leave it to the man upstairs.
To sum it up, I go to sleep at night without regret. And wake up in the morning without that feeling of (oh my god, I did it again).
Fred
Old 11-20-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Im a totally different person so have no real basis for comparison...thank God!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My life is no easier because I became sober, but it is most defintiely simpler. Whether it's good times or bad times, I know I can do whatever I need or want to do because I am sober, and there are no distractions like alcohol and all the guilt/shame/lying that were attendants to my drinking to get in my way.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

After seven years sobriety, a feeling of pride that I am able to fully experience life as it is intended; both the good and the bad.

ps Unlike a fellow poster above, my driving habits/attitude such as patience have NOT changed!

Dave
Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

- I deal with problems as they arise today rather than drink over them as they accumulate ever higher.

- I stop persecutionistic fantasies in their tracks now-a-days, rather than feed them day after day to where they bleed into my dreams and affect my actions.

- My pets don't hide under tables or behind cabinets when I walk in the room, they actually vie for positions in my lap...how cool is that!

- I actually have green, flowering plants year round in my garden. {Shade gardeners...Plectranthus! You gotta try it! Gorgeous foliage, grows great in a hanging basket, and a total hummingbird magnet when it blooms!}
Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Five months. I dont stumble out of bed at four in the morning with one leg still in my trousers desperately searching, i dont retch into the toilet in a morning, i eat breakfast with my family, i dont sit on the setee with my arms wrapped around myself rocking back and fore, i dont dread the day, i dont spend my entire day watching the clock and waiting......these improvements i will forever try to remain greatful for. Alcoholism is an ugly, destructive illness. God bless.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's great, Lindsay! It's encouraging to see someone maintaining sobriety and being happy about it. Congrats on all those months!

I have 21 days and my life has already changed a lot...

*Maintaining a lower weight is much easier.
*I get along with my family better.
*I'm no longer socially awkward because I'm not horribly hungover all the time and can follow a conversation. That's one of the best parts.
*I'm starting to be able to digest food normally again.
*I can take care of drunk friends because I've been there and I know what to do, but I'm not there anymore and have the presence of mind to do it.
*I can exercise without horrible abdominal pain.
*My meds for bipolar disorder actually work. I love mood stability, although it feels strange!
*I'm dating a wonderful man who respects me, cares about me, and treats me well. He doesn't see me as a promiscuous drunk.
*I can go to more places and events because I can safely drive.

All of that in three weeks.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Its the difference between existing and living.....
Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Smile

A little over two years for me.
No more "things" out of the corner of my eyes
Better disposition
No futher need for antacid
My body & I are on speaking terms (knees, joints)
Lost nearly 40 lbs.
Much better spiritual life
Some money in the bank
Can handle stressful/tense situations much better
The ability to RELAX
Better family relations
Food actually has taste
No Monday hangovers!
Better self-perception/acceptance
The forgotten ability to stand up for myself/self respect
Stopped dwelling on the past( the negative parts, anyway).
QUIT BEING AFRAID

I needed this-Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have a little under 4 years sober.
I'm far less anxious, and I now (usually) experience life rather than run from it or try to bash through it. Most importantly, I now have real relationships with other human beings, which is something I didn't think I was capable of.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thirteen years sobriety here.

Life is easier having the confidence that I can address problems. Obstacles don't throw me. Difficulties are normal, and can be overcome.

Life is easier to live pursuing self-actualization rather than performing rituals of death. An integrated, differentiated self was an impossible goal while drinking. Living with integrity means doing what's right even when it is harder than drinking.

Loving and trusting myself and not allowing others to abuse me are a result of my recovery.

My sons have never seen me drink and although I am not a perfect parent, I pride myself on the example of sobriety I am setting for them.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in my 5th month...I will actually get to the end of November with a little money in the bank as opposed to getting through the last week looking for coins under the seats!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well, lots of things said here apply to me as well:
I trust myself more
My parents don't have to worry as much
I don't have to get up 4 times in the middle of the night to pee (or worse - not wake up! eeech!)

But honestly, what has changed and improved the very most is that I am actually content - not always blissfully happy and chirpy or anything, but content. I am doing my best (work, school, family, home) and I have no secrets. So I'm not looking over my shoulder all the time, wondering who's going to find out what, or trying to keep covering up lies and other dishonesties.

A frequently AA quote: "my worst day sober is better than my best day drinking." Absolutely true. Stuff still happens, but I don't have to react the same ways I used to.