SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Going back out after a long time sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/213614-going-back-out-after-long-time-sober.html)

Zebra1275 11-17-2010 07:10 PM

Going back out after a long time sober

I was at an AA meeting Tuesday night and a guy admitted that he got drunk Monday night after 10 years of sobriety. A woman in the group then stated that she went back out this past summer after 19 years of sobriety. It was a good reminder to me that alcohol is not only cunning, baffling and powerful, but also very patient.

TwoJacks 11-17-2010 07:13 PM

Wow. I hope that never happens to me. How scary.

24hrsAday 11-17-2010 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 (Post 2771160)
I was at an AA meeting Tuesday night and a guy admitted that he got drunk Monday night after 10 years of sobriety. A woman in the group then stated that she went back out this past summer after 19 years of sobriety. It was a good reminder to me that alcohol is not only cunning, baffling and powerful, but also very patient.

Very True it is Zebra..

yeahgr8 11-17-2010 08:11 PM

Good reminder to me that meetings dont make a person sober and any of us had better make sure we have a rock solid foundation of sobriety (HP/God) when life throws us a curve ball!

Meetings are very important though and it is great to be part of the fellowship:-)

coffeenut 11-17-2010 08:36 PM

That is scary as hell to me.

Thank you for this......

thisisme 11-18-2010 04:16 AM

I must say at this point I do find it fascinating that someone would embrace sobriety, see the light of it and yet give it up.
I cannot wrap my brain around going back to that hell of a life. I am so thankful for that.

Bamboozle 11-18-2010 04:30 AM

Unfortunately it happens to a lot of people. Most addicted people succum to their addiction(s). I'd be a fool if I ever think I have this thing beat.

The only thing I know to do is stick with my supports.

stugotz 11-18-2010 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 (Post 2771160)
It was a good reminder to me that alcohol is not only cunning, baffling and powerful, but also very patient.

Alcohol has NO power over me unless I put it in my body. I was the problen, not the drink. Just sayin...

24hrsAday 11-18-2010 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bamboozle (Post 2771405)
Unfortunately it happens to a lot of people. Most addicted people succum to their addiction(s). I'd be a fool if I ever think I have this thing beat.

The only thing I know to do is stick with my supports.

thats why i will Never say i will Never Drink Again Bam..

thisisme 11-18-2010 08:46 AM

I will NEVER drink again.

Great thread!

loveon2legs 11-18-2010 08:51 AM

I've heard from a few people that have had many years sober...then WHAM back on the bottle again....scares the hell out of me.....what I've been told that is if you do relapse, then learn from it...see what lead you to drink again....then work on those areas...... but just the thought of all those years sober then to pick up again.......that's why I am always SO grateful for another day sober....

Zencat 11-18-2010 08:52 AM

IMO, unfortunately there are no guarantees in life, that includes sobriety.

Ghostlight 11-18-2010 12:27 PM

I had a good friend who was sober through AA for 8 years. He did 120 meetings in 90 days when he quit.
Was a speaker at meetings, worked the program, all the things you're supposed to do.

He was also a co-worker. And I admired him deeply.
After 8 years he went back out. Within months he was dead.

It still breaks my heart.

DayTrader 11-18-2010 01:54 PM

If it were up to me, I'd rather never drink again.

I'll keep working the program, maintaining my contact with the Power that separates me from alcohol and I'll see where it goes....

Everyone I know who's gone back out quit working on their contact with their HP first......then started running their lives again ......and when you're running the show you quit "needing" AA. Sobriety is important to me but it takes a backseat to my relationship with God. So long as my relationship with God's in order, I don't worry about going back out again.

least 11-18-2010 02:22 PM

I'm working on my recovery/sobriety every single day. I want to always stay alert so that I will not be one of those who goes back out and never comes back...:(

Alcohol has NO power over me unless I put it in my body. I was the problen, not the drink. Just sayin...
Thanks Stugotz.:) You hit the nail on the head, just sayin'...:hug:

tsmba 11-19-2010 05:46 AM

Been there and done that....and I can tell you it is no fun. I've had a couple long periods of sobriety and relapsed. IME, the longer I go, the tougher it is to go back. Of course, there is always someone with an experience that makes our own look like child's play. I know a fellow who had 18yrs, highly active in AA, who relapsed. I saw him celebrate 10yrs again last month.