Notices

These noises are making me crazy

Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i know for me, right before I hit 60 days, i was quite irritable. You know what really helps me still when i get to that place? I just repeat, over and over again in my head, the serenity prayer. keeps me focused on what I need to be focused on, and i can drown out the outside "noise" that is bothering me. It has worked every time I have needed it.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by nacona
I will write about it. I hear that helps to get to the bottom of issues.
Good idea. Writing has helped me that way too. Nothing like uncovering some of those subconscious processes that disturb my conscious day.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Kiki, wow! I LOATHE moving feet, when guys do that it's so awful! My roomie and I were watching a movie the other night and I had to lie and say I was going to bed because it was driving me nuts. It's so disgusting, he just sits there and rubs his feet together for 90 minutes... So I retired to my room and watched a movie alone. I have always abhorred that behavior, my father used to do it and I hated it then too. Cereal, clinking bowls and forks sliding across teeth make me want to scream too. At least I know I'm not alone!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is all serious true stuff but arent we a precious bunch eh! Has made me smile again in the middle of a seriously bad day!

Thank you all! I think the moving toes thing is cured for me now - I almost want someone to do it so it can make me laugh. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by nacona View Post
One thing that confuses me somewhat in the 12-step program is people say that the steps are in order for a reason. So, to start working Step 10 (page 84), although I would love to, am I supposed to work it out of order? I REALLY need to find a sponsor and get moving on these steps.

Yes....you do. xoxo and the lack of sponsor / lack of working the steps will manifest itself more and more and more (that's what happened to me - life kept getting worse....more bothersome.....more repetitive and boring.....just not good). My "untreated alcoholism" got worse and worse until I was either going to get a sponsor and start the work or I was going to go back out and drink/drug. It's a choice we all (chronic alcoholics) have to make sooner or later.

and yes, you work them in order but if you're feeling X and someone here has worked the whole program through, several times, wouldn't I (we) be remiss to not tell you. "oh, we'll tell you how to handle that problem in 3 months when you're "ready." -- that doesn't make sense.

The steps are numbered.........but they're blend-able. Step 11 will help with all of the steps........cuz believe me, it takes some prayer and meditation to do a proper fourth step (for the willingness, the honesty, etc). The 3rd "step" doesn't have the word prayer in it but in the BB there's a prayer that goes along with the step..... you don't skip saying that prayer until you hit the "prayer step - #11"

---and the key points on that page you saw but only did 1...... ask God to remove it and turn your attention to someone you can help. You did the "help another" part just fine. Try the "ask God" part in addition to it, next time. You might be surprised what happens when you combine the two.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

...just hit me.....

Nacona.......

Are you writing? Each day? Getting those thoughts out of your head and onto a piece of paper (yeah, it's GOT to be paper.... trust me...... a word document on the pc doesn't seem to work as well for some reason) will help - and it'll give you some 4th step practice. When I'm getting fouled up, talking with my sponsor helps....meetings help.....but writing it out first, then talking about it with my sponsor helps even more than the non-writing methods done 4x over.

(neat-o........ post #1500 - Jeez, I post here WAY too much. Is it any WONDER my inventorying has slowed down. lol)
Old 11-18-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Soup View Post
This is all serious true stuff but arent we a precious bunch eh! Has made me smile again in the middle of a seriously bad day!

Thank you all! I think the moving toes thing is cured for me now - I almost want someone to do it so it can make me laugh. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
pumpkin soup, sleepie and nacona,

wow, i have a syndrome. my ex thought it was crazy i could not stand to have him rub his toes together.
and loud gum snapping can make me furious.
i have to get away.
no movie theaters because people can not stop with the constant noise.
geez.
we are a precious bunch and we need a support group.
a quiet one.
:rotfxko

Last edited by wicked; 11-18-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: re spell name
Old 11-18-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This can cause real problems for me. I really am very sensitive to noise and it jangles my nerves to the point that I must escape! I feel like a cornered, wild animal when I get over stimulated. It has caused some awkward situations.
My guy and my XH both watched tv/movies with earplugs because I really get wound up with that electronic noise.
I do use white noise sometimes.
It isn't about my general attitude of tolerance with people either. There are certain types of fabric that I can't have next to my skin either. and etc.
It is an odd "sensitivity"
I feel for you Nacona.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well DayTrader...all I can say is don't stop posting; I learn a ton from you. And thank you for your help with my noise issue......You told me once to put pen to paper and I just haven't done it. I will incorporate that into my morning routine.

These posts were not only extremely entertaining, they made me feel like I am not the only strange one in this world.

My daughter took me to see Ironman on Mother's Day this year. I hadn't been to the theater for at least 15 years. I absolutely hate the popcorn chomping and the rustling of candy bags and the smacking of lips....arrrgghhhh. Even kissing sounds drive me crazy. I have to have the remote in my hand at all times so I can press mute if a couple even looks like they are going to kiss and especially if they are eating.

A strange thing about this is I can hear a smacking noise and break out into a sweat and I will go searching for whoever the pig is that dares to do that and if it turns out to be something like paper rustling in the wind or something other than what a person does with their mouth, then I calm right down. The sound is the same, but if it's not coming from a human - I'm okay with it.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nacona, on the lighter side of this topic: what the heck are so many people doing with something in their mouths when they are in a support center? Is this "between calls"?

When I took a look at a couple of other posts here, I recalled that I used to feel irritated some mornings at work some years back when I heard the spoon hitting the dish (her morning cereal and I didn't particularly like the woman). This was while I was in drinking mode though. I adapted later on.

I have also noticed that I have often been picky about the people I will sit down and eat with. I don't know how much that's tied to mental issues though.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
Nacona, on the lighter side of this topic: what the heck are so many people doing with something in their mouths when they are in a support center? Is this "between calls"?

When I took a look at a couple of other posts here, I recalled that I used to feel irritated some mornings at work some years back when I heard the spoon hitting the dish (her morning cereal and I didn't particularly like the woman). This was while I was in drinking mode though. I adapted later on.

I have also noticed that I have often been picky about the people I will sit down and eat with. I don't know how much that's tied to mental issues though.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TORONTO!!!!!

Yeah - I don't get that part either. We usually have around 50 calls in queue, so we don't get to pause in between calls to smack and chomp, but they manage to do it. When I get a caller on my line chewing in my ear, I ask them if they would mind putting me on hold until they finish their lunch. One woman was chomping and smacking an apple in my ear and I came right out and asked her to please stop chewing in my ear. She had no idea that it would bother anyone.....jayzus!!!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hmm, I don't want to be over-critical, but it sounds like it's too "casz" (casual) there. It's a basic decorum thing not to have something in your mouth while you're talking to a customer or most people. I have been in similar jobs, and fortunately it wasn't extremely regimented, but wow....
Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
pumpkin soup, sleepie and nacona,

wow, i have a syndrome. my ex thought it was crazy i could not stand to have him rub his toes together.
and loud gum snapping can make me furious.
i have to get away.
no movie theaters because people can not stop with the constant noise.
geez.
we are a precious bunch and we need a support group.
a quiet one.
Meditate, meditate, meditate..... Can't meditate it's TOOO QUIET!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I would describe my irratibility this way: I could tear the face off anyone. Period. anyone. It didn't matter what they did.

Noises really bothered me at times, I actually thought it was a neurological thing. It was like the noise was...crushing my brain or something. It was like a sound could knock me over. But that hasn't happened for a while. I have TMJ, and I have ringing and high pitched buzzing and all sorts of weird things, so I chalk it up to that. And maybe some pre-migraine type things.

Stress can do weird things to our bodies. Stopping drinking is stressful. But it does get better.

Meditation is a great suggestion. Just deep breaths, and give yourself a time out.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

A lot on nuisances were because I was in early sobriety. I see that's the case for you...or not I'm only trying to be helpful. There came a point of my recovery where letting go...effectively letting go became a constant relief. I see you follow a well laid path that will eventually lead you to that. My suggestion is to jump forward into the 'letting go zone' as you see it and be free of these riddance of the mind. Incredibly it is too easy to do so...yet without the inclination and permission to do so creates a hindrance that has to be worked out...pragmatically.

Best in all your endeavors to live free from addiction
Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

YouTube - Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence original (not live)