Notices

That's It

Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That's It

I've posted before about wanting to quit. I did go to AA then I stopped and I just continued on my drinking way - weekend binges. Well suffice to say that sure didn't work out good at all (no surprise there).

Yesterday I poured out what beer I had in my fridge, made dinner and then I guess I had a feeling come over me that continued when I woke up today. That's it. I'm done and truly feel I'm ready to do what it takes to stay off the booze. It so isn't working for me anymore and hasn't worked for years. I went to church on Sunday - the first time in a very long time and prayed for God to help me beat this. And a cool thing is during the intentions part of the service a prayer was offered to help those suffering from addictions.

so today is Day 1 and damn I sure hope it's my last day one. I'm nervous a bit about a new sober life but I figure I already know what the drunk life is like so maybe it's good to try and see what the other way is like for a change.

thanks for reading
Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You could gop back to AA, find arecovered alcoholic to help you work the steps which is the real program of AA, read out at every meeting and on the walls...do you have a Big Book? It's crazy thinking that just going to AA meetings will keep an alcoholic sober or, quite frankly, interested for long...there is a solution there, you just missed it last time:-)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am going to go back to AA tomorrow. and yes, this time work the steps. got step one down already
Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by belle08 View Post
I am going to go back to AA tomorrow. and yes, this time work the steps. got step one down already
You star! Please keep us posted...wish you every success:-)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back.....
Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dont see many coincidences since i have been in recovery. Perhaps that cool thing that happened in prayer was gods way of letting you know he heard you?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

W/B Belle........and it's good to have you with some new-found resolve. I remember when that same feeling hit me - the one where I reeeeeeally wanted to get better and was finally willing to start working for it to stay...to last.....to "stick" (prior to that I guess I expected it to just happen TO me on it's own with little to no work on my part).

Make good use of your time now. If you're like me, you have a history of getting really motivated about stuff then, in a couple weeks or a couple months, that same thing starts to become less interesting. I didn't know how long my motivation to recover would last so I started scarfing down as much "recovery" as I could find. Meetings, open talks downloaded on-line, reading the BB, reading the 12 & 12, reading some daily reading/prayer books, writing every day about what I felt (kinda like dumping.....but through pen and paper....so I wouldn't feel compelled to "dump" on at a meeting), hitting more meetings, trying to make new friends and "stick with the winners" in AA, and so forth.

Make hay while the sun's shining.....it'll serve you well down the road if/when your motivation starts to fade - not that it WILL....it's just my experience in MY life that it usually does so I used that "good" fear in a positive manner to motivate me to work as quickly as I could early on.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I PMd DayTrader when I was on day 7 of sobriety and asked him what he suggested that I do to keep the fire lit. He told me pretty much what he wrote in the above post and I have 56 days today and still feel very committed to recovery. I have to do this stuff everyday without fail - I'm afraid to do it any other way.

good luck
Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I sure hope you beat it this time.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back to SR

D
Old 11-15-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome back Belle. We missed you!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a year this has been.....seems like the last 6 months I have either been drunk,high, or trying to hide being in withdrawal from something (pills or booze). My fiance split with me 3 weeks before we were to get married....2 weeks later I lost my job. Well, this chain of events (which left me devastated) triggered a very long run of painkillers and booze. Today is my first day sober in a long time...and it has been ugly. But....I am going to do what it takes to win, that includes AA and the whole 9 yards....plus a lot of prayer. I am sad to be back on this site, but glad a the same time. Good night all...I have an appointment with my bed to lay there and shake/sweat as I get through the wd's. I be back on when feel better...glad this community is here, nice to know people care. TJ
Old 11-16-2010, 12:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats belle and tj, for taking back your lives from the vicious cycle of alcohol. It took me a couple tries, too. I guess I finally got it through my head that centering my life around drinking wasn't any way to live.

Glad you're both here - Drinks lots of water and take those B vitamins....
Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the words and welcomes.

DT: I do have that fear that my motivation and resolve will fade and I i will forget just how how miserable I always feel after drinking - hell alot of the time I'm feeling miserable even during drinking. Doesn't make sense that I've kept doing it for so long when it's really not even fun anymore and I KNOW what the outcome will be.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by belle08 View Post
Well, that is what I was going to say! AA works, but you have to master step one. You have to be done. Done. Sounds like you are. Congrats and now get to work!