Notices

Anxiety

Old 11-11-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

After two years sober, I am feeling anxious a lot more than I did in the past. I get especially anxious about the political and economic state of this country even though there is a little that I can do about it.

I am get anxious about about calling alcoholics. My sponsor told me that I have to call random alcoholics. This afternoon I decided to call a random alcoholic, but only if it was my home group's phone list. I currently lost the phone list of my home group and now I am stuck with old meeting list.

I get especially anxious when being told to try new things. For example, I am told that I should go to this church where I live, but I never going because I get overwhelmed by anxiety.

I wish this feeling would go away because I live in fear. It is in fear why I do not date women because I feel that they are not going to accept me for the autism.

I live in a constant state of anxiety. I am not going to take a drink about it, but I am prisoner of worry. In early soberity, I did not worry as much, but I went back to my bad old habit of being worried.

How should do I with my worrying problem?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
High on Life

Have you spoken with a therapist about this???
Old 11-11-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crisco View Post
After two years sober, I am feeling anxious a lot more than I did in the past. I get especially anxious about the political and economic state of this country even though there is a little that I can do about it.

I am get anxious about about calling alcoholics. My sponsor told me that I have to call random alcoholics. This afternoon I decided to call a random alcoholic, but only if it was my home group's phone list. I currently lost the phone list of my home group and now I am stuck with old meeting list.

I get especially anxious when being told to try new things. For example, I am told that I should go to this church where I live, but I never going because I get overwhelmed by anxiety.

I wish this feeling would go away because I live in fear. It is in fear why I do not date women because I feel that they are not going to accept me for the autism.

I live in a constant state of anxiety. I am not going to take a drink about it, but I am prisoner of worry. In early soberity, I did not worry as much, but I went back to my bad old habit of being worried.

How should do I with my worrying problem?
Since you have autism, and you have anxiety issues, I would talk to a psychiatrist. There isn't much we can do here except help you learn ways to stay away from the first drink.

Chronic anxiety can be considered a psychological problem. So, if I were you, I would see a psychiatrist.

Good you are posting here though, don't drink while you are waiting for the Dr appointment.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Crisco, I have anxiety and dealt with crippling panic attacks. Most of it went away once I got sober but still have some occasional anxiety.

What I suggest is discussing this with your Dr. to see if there anything going on health wise and perhaps looking into counseling. You may have some underlying issues that would benefit from talking to someone.

Let us know how you make out. There are plenty of us here who are dealing with anxiety so we get it.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

^^ I also have anxiety ^^

I can totally relate to what you are saying so let me share what I do to cope... Think less and do more!

For us worriers, the worst thing we can do is to think obsessively about things we need to do (especially when told what we need to do by others) and the things we would like to do.

When something comes up, I find it best to jump off of the chair and get started because if I start thinking about the particulars of the project, social gathering, and even errands then I am much more anxious about it and less likely to do anything whatsoever. So get active!

Exercise. I cannot say enough about it, it has a calming effect that rivals pills. Whatever you do to exercise and get your heart rate up for 30 or more minutes will go a long way to smoothing out your day. I always feel much more confident after breaking a sweat and doing the things that I want and don't want to do!

All of the above is a work in progress... Practice and you will feel better about yourself.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

2 years sober is awesome! Just because you're sober, doesn't mean you won't feel anxiety. Adding Autism into the mix would be tough. Like others have said, a therapist may prove invaluable to you.

Glad you are here.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Crisco, I too have dealt with mild autism and anxiety all my life to the point that other than going to work, grocery store, walking my dog I would rarely leave my house. Alcohol initially helped me deal with the anxiety and deal with people, until I decided I preferred drinking alone. The first year or so after I quit drinking I was practically afraid of my own shadow, the anxiety and panic attacks were out of control and controlling me. After about a year and a half of pretty much total isolation I went to see a doctor and was prescribed medication that really helped me; I'll never be a "social butterfly" but at least I can live with myself now, I still prefer being alone to being with others but life is calm. I hope you find a doctor that can help you.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please see your doctor/psychologist/shrink about the anxiety. I too am bothered by anxiety, even with almost a year sober. There are meds for it that are not addictive so please see your doctor.

Besides seeing my wonderful addiction counselor once a week, which helps a lot, I'm also doing biofeedback (at the same counseling agency) which is very helpful in learning to 'relax' myself when I feel anxious. Biofeedback is really pretty cool and doesn't involve drugs or anything, just learning how to 'retrain your brain'.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there buddy. I suffer from general anxiety disorder and i know how you feel. Walking into a crowded room, panick attacks etc.

Talk to a doctor, he/she can probably give you something to help you out on the anxiety. Not sure about the autism, but I would talk to a doctor.

Be strong bud, we're rootin for you.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My panic attics aren't so much from the general public, because hey who cares after any amount of time after meeting someone for the 1st time and you may never see them again. I'm more uptight about being with people I will see on a daily basis, it's more hard to control. It looks bad when you gotta leave after a whole bunch of planning to make something happen and you feel you gotta split. I know the feeling.

Don't think I should post this but it may help somehow.