Notices

One Year Today!!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Year Today!!!!

Today I am officially one year sober and it feels absolutely amazing to say the least. One of my blogs on here is a journal entry from my stay at a rehab center and reading that over again makes me realize what a bad place I was in both physically and mentally just last year.

I know that things can change really quickly in life but right now I am dating the most amazing girl in the world who is also in sobriety, have made honor roll at school while working full time, not taken a “sick day” in exactly one year, have earned two stripes and two medals in jiujitsu and countless other things but those are the major ones. I’m confident in whom I am as a person and one year ago that was hardly the case. In the past two months I have joined AA and have started to become more spiritual as well. I pray every night that I can continue to grow as a person and not do anything to hurt the ones I love and care about.

I’m not going to ramble on too much but the bulk of my sobriety was not done in AA. I would log on to this site multiple times a day and have so much gratitude for it and the people on here. I felt “stuck” in life so enrolled in night classes and feel better that although it might take years, one day I will have a degree. I started eating healthy and training in Brazilian Jiujitsu more and more. Part of being mentally healthy has to start with feeling physically healthy as well in my opinion. I’m only sharing what I did to maybe help someone else out there.

Recently I went to the fall classic which was a big AA convention in St. Louis and was really moved by it. Soon after I entered the program and found a sponsor. Ironically it was someone I had seen at jiujitsu before. Anyways AA had always scared me as I am not religious and felt it was cult like. About a month ago I had to tell someone I truly care for something embarrassing about myself and those feelings of being “less than” and “soon to be alone” started to stir up inside of me. The thought of drinking to suppress the feelings crossed my mind many times over but calling my sponsor and talking with him really did help so I am glad I have that safety net below to stop me from hitting the ground when things do get tough. I’m finding sobriety to be like a jiujitsu match. When I am fighting someone I like doing the same chokes and arm bars but it comes handy to have other moves up my sleeve as well depending on the situation. The same thing goes with sobriety, there is no one way to go about it but having a slew of ways is very beneficial since we never know what life will throw at us on a daily basis.

I honestly feel that as long as I stay sober, keep working on myself and continue to do the right things in life more good things will come my way. Thanks for all your support out there!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and big hugs on your sober year!! I'm coming up on mine next month and am full of the joy of living sober and free!

Thanks for sharing your good news and I wish you many more sober years to come.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Big Congratulations!! 1 year is fantastic. Good for you rws177!

:ghug3
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations...!

I recall going to my first
AA convention after I got
sober 20 yrs ago and remember
how I felt inside.

The speaker was whinding
up her story with the song
Wind Beneath My Wings.

I totally got chills all over
as it touched me spiritually.

Recovery is AWESOME when
you live it a day at a time
keeping it simple.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS, Sharon! Woo-hoo! Have your favorite meal to celebrate!7
Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
High on Life

Congrats, keep up the good work
Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations rws

D
Old 11-11-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations RWS! Sounds like you've had a very productive year, good for you!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congratulations!!! that is one awsome accomplishment. i'm glad to see another MMA person here too. i did BJJ and muay thai for years before i broke my back.

keep up the great work!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

:day1
Old 11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
congratulations!!! that is one awsome accomplishment. i'm glad to see another MMA person here too. i did BJJ and muay thai for years before i broke my back.

keep up the great work!

Sorry to hear about your back. I love trainning and my jiujitsu game has gone so much further in sobriety. A few weeks ago I took second in a tournament and submitted three guys, it was such an awesome feeling!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow - that is just something else and amazing.

Great job - it's people like you that give me hope!!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Congrats on making it to a year. I've git a little over ten months and sometimes I wish I can spin that clock around a few hundred times. That's really ironic how you said you didn't want to go to AA cause you thought it was cult like. Those were basically my sentiments regarding AA. For me it was more of the fact that most of the steps, principles and such were adopted from the bible. When I was 17 my 18 year old sister died from a brain tumor. She was the bridge between my father and I cause he learned of my using our relationship went south. So I basically turned my back on God when I was 17 and didn't find him again until I made it to the rooms. He never turned his back on me and he guided me in the right direction. As much as denounced God, he was always there for me. My relationship with God I must say is quite strong. On my own I've only ever managed to muster about 4 months clean time white knuckling it. Today I have a little more than 10 months. I know this is only because of the rooms and the grace of God. I love the program and I love my sobriety. Again Congrats on making it across that first hurdle, it gives hope to a drunk and addict like me.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johndelko408 View Post
Congrats on making it to a year. I've git a little over ten months and sometimes I wish I can spin that clock around a few hundred times. That's really ironic how you said you didn't want to go to AA cause you thought it was cult like. Those were basically my sentiments regarding AA. For me it was more of the fact that most of the steps, principles and such were adopted from the bible. When I was 17 my 18 year old sister died from a brain tumor. She was the bridge between my father and I cause he learned of my using our relationship went south. So I basically turned my back on God when I was 17 and didn't find him again until I made it to the rooms. He never turned his back on me and he guided me in the right direction. As much as denounced God, he was always there for me. My relationship with God I must say is quite strong. On my own I've only ever managed to muster about 4 months clean time white knuckling it. Today I have a little more than 10 months. I know this is only because of the rooms and the grace of God. I love the program and I love my sobriety. Again Congrats on making it across that first hurdle, it gives hope to a drunk and addict like me.
I can so relate to turning my back on god as well. When I was 17 my mom had two major strokes leaving her paralyzed to this day and a few years later my dad was diagnosed with cancer and past soon after. For the longest time I blamed god or there lack of one but now realize that is not the case at all.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

This is a BIG deal
You have every reason to be proud of your accomplishment. YEA !!!!
You know what works, don't forget.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 11-11-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

congratulations on your year sober and the the successes you've had!!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congratulations on your sober time RWS!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

Congratulations on ure Sober Birthday7
Old 11-11-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are the poster "guy" for successful sobriety! Your enthusiasm and all-out life improvement shines through in your words.

A big congrats to you and best wishes for your bright future.