Notices

Early Sobriety & Cruise

Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
High on Life

Update*********

I talked with my therapist and I'm not going on the cruise, it was kind of a sigh of relief and my partner doesn't even care, I don't even think he wanted to go.

However, my friends are really disapointed they think my therapist is stupid and is blowing the whole drinking and cruise correlation out of proportion. They were like there is so much to do on cruises and they have those Bill W meetings everynight for you. I almost wonder if I put too much thought into this and maybe I am blowing it out of proportion, I'm not sure. Sobriety is still very new to me, just trying to find where I fit in.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

The way I figured it...there would always be other social opportunities, later, when I was sure of my sobriety.

My way may be too cautious for some, but my recovery is fundamentally important to me - without that I lose everything too.

D
Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If it was something that I wanted to do for myself and enjoy relax whatever I would go. I went on a trip with my wife and two other couples to new orleans and they all drank every night but I stayed sober and in contact with my sponser and had no problems we also went to veagus ther next year with the same couple and had no problems there just did same thing I did at new orleans and had a great time on both trips. Just make sure you are going for the right reasons mainly for your enjoyment and not because someone eles want you to . good luck.

Last edited by baggervance; 11-11-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: some of my letters wernt showing up
Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I like cruises but you are right there is much about them that is a booze-a-rama.
I think one of the sober cruises would be so much nicer.

The last one I went on was with a group of 15 and included the partiers in my family.
So, I loved going to the spa. Then I spent alot of time dodging them at night actually walking a circuitous route and almost got "caught" at that just trying to get to my room while they were clubbing and whooping it up.
They then came pounding on my door at 3am and I had no respite.

I booked an excursion to one of those "islands" because I wanted to do things and I was especially looking forward to snorkeling.
The boat that took us to the island had drinking games as the sole entertainment both to and fro.

I would love to go on another cruise but I would choose my companionship very carefully.
or better yet..take a sober cruise.
Those drinks are hugely expensive too!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The End -- for what it's worth, the choice you made is the same one I would have.