Notices

The Bar Got Me Yesterday

Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Bar Got Me Yesterday

Well I posted the other day how I did the other day with wanting to drink and I made it home sober. Well yesterday I stopped in to say hello to Joe my bartender friend & 6 hours later I was stumbling home intoxicated. I had just prayed that morning & talked to a sober friend that morning. I don't understand how I woke up today shaking like a leaf. I know it's alcohol withdrawal but after only 1 day of drinking? Granted I probably consumed 16 drinks and Joe sure knows how to make them strong. I feel as if the Valium helped me stay sober & now I can't seem to find a doctor anywhere to prescribe it to me. I went to like 3 different clinics. Anyways, I can't go to work due to my hangover so I guess I drink a lot of water and maybe soup. Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If what I'm doing isn't working, then it's time to do something different.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay away from risky situations in early sobriety. I only go to places where drinking is involved when I have a legitimate reason to be there and never went near any drinking situations in early sobriety.

Doctors are reluctant to prescribe drugs like Valium because they are very addictive. I visit a detox hospital weekly and there always seems to be alcoholics who quit drinking and wound up addicted to drugs like benzos or codeine.

There is lots of help for alcoholics who desire to quit drinking. A program of recovery can make all the difference in the world.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sry to hear you drank. Glad you are back and sharing and hopefully will pickup and do it different this time. Think about what you will change or add to your support this time.

I completely removed myself from alcoholic environments in the very beginning. I honestly didn't want anything to do with it and I knew I was not strong enough to be around alcohol. As I said in your other post....I have no reason to honestly go into bars....I only associate negative things with drinking.

From what you wrote it seems you weren't missing anything without Joe in your life huh? Took me some time with head banging before I realized that I have no control after I take that first drink or in my case - 1st sip. Know that you never have to go through this again.

As far as valium goes......please check in with a doctor. Many times the addict will substitute and the other thing can be a potential problem. I found getting into recovery.....opened my eyes to positive ways to handle alcoholism. Learning to live a healthy sober life requires work.

Keep it going friend. You can do this.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The bar didn't get you drunk, you got yourself drunk. I'd stay away from bars if I were you. I hope you can find a way to get and stay sober before something really awful happens to you.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I just don't understand why the bartender and then the night bartender kept serving me drinks. I called my credit card company today and charged 65 bucks at the bar. I am not sure if I even ate the giant hamburgers they serve there? They even have a sign above that says "We Serve Responsibly". Guess not yesterday though. I was so drunk I could of got hit my a car walking. I just got denied my license reinstatement & I haven't driven a car since 2003 due to several DUI's. So I guess I'm pretty angry about that.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess Joe the bartender isn't such a nice guy after all if he served you so many drinks and probably chuckled while you stumbled out of the bar to possibly get hit by a car, huh?

Welcome back anaconda!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Hooped;2763374]I guess Joe the bartender isn't such a nice guy after all if he served you so many drinks and probably chuckled while you stumbled out of the bar to possibly get hit by a car, huh?

Yeah the least he could of done was offer me a ride home when he got off his shift. I was thinking of an AA meeting tonight but I smell like booze still & am pretty run down from last nights nightmare. Theres a meeting 6 blocks away but I can't drive & will look silly riding my bike there.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about that anaconda. Out of the years I've been drinking this by far has been the one with most sober time. What I've learned and I guess deep inside always known is that I need to avoid places/people that I used to drink with cus when I don't, guess what happens? I end up getting thrashed...

As for the bartenders that kept serving you, you really can't place the blame on them. Your sobriety is in yours hands.

Don't give up!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
part time member

I stopped in to say hello to Joe my bartender friend & 6 hours later I was stumbling home intoxicated.
I wouldn't consider Joe a friend. Ask yourself if you really went in there to say hello or to drink. I think you know the answer. Pick yourself up and walk to that AA meeting. Only you can help you.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovesToTravel View Post
I wouldn't consider Joe a friend. Ask yourself if you really went in there to say hello or to drink. I think you know the answer. Pick yourself up and walk to that AA meeting. Only you can help you.
I told myself I was going to play darts but the truth is I hate darts. i guess i went in there to get smashed but I still think bartenders have to serve responsibly. I mean don't they take classes & have to get certified. I know Joe the bartender has been serving drinks for close to 20years.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by anaconda22 View Post
Thanks everyone. I just don't understand why the bartender and then the night bartender kept serving me drinks. I called my credit card company today and charged 65 bucks at the bar. I am not sure if I even ate the giant hamburgers they serve there? They even have a sign above that says "We Serve Responsibly". Guess not yesterday though. I was so drunk I could of got hit my a car walking. I just got denied my license reinstatement & I haven't driven a car since 2003 due to several DUI's. So I guess I'm pretty angry about that.
It was wrong of the bartenders to continue to serve you after you were obviously intoxicated, but the blame can't really be laid on them. You chose to go into the bar and you chose to drink. At this point, it's a good thing you still can't get your license reinstated. You most probably would have gotten into your car after drinking all of that and possibly could have hurt or killed someone. You can be angry about it, but it's your own fault. It was my own fault when it happened to me, too.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anaconda22 View Post
I was thinking of an AA meeting tonight but I smell like booze still & am pretty run down from last nights nightmare. Theres a meeting 6 blocks away but I can't drive & will look silly riding my bike there.
There's a thousand excuses to be had when it comes to not attending meetings.

I can assure you they won't care that you smell like booze and are riding your bike.

If you really want sobriety, you will do what it takes to get there.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Heathen

It's like all these lawsuits from fat people with heart disease suing McDonalds for their choices.

If you want to quit, and stay quit.. there's ways to do that.

I stopped hanging in bars when I quit drinking.. makes absolutely no sense to me to go to a bar to hang out and not drink. I'm sure Joe likes his tips from you, but couldn't care less about a friendship with one of his drunk patrons.

My counselor once told me a really easy way to quit drinking.. was to stop buying liquor, stop going to places where liquor is sold, and to stop accepting any free drinks. Amazing logic, eh? The rest is the hard stuff, if and when you're ready.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Us alcoholics are knows for trying to place the blame of our drinking on others. It is always "so and so did this, or my wife made me feel like____" etc. Not Joe's fault for serving you. Because in all honestly if he would have told you no, chances are you would have gotten mad. Time to step up and take responsibility for our own actions.

Keep coming back. Stay away from the bad things.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was thinking about going back to the bar tonight when the owner is there & maybe tell him to have me banned from there or something. It's kinda sad because they even had a ladies night once a week. The thing is everyone in the place know that I'm a chronic alcoholic/drug addict. I guess they just want all the money I spend there. I just found a huge bruise on my ankle from when I blacked out last night. My body can't stop shaking, I'm having anxiety oh well thats Alcoholism at it's finest.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, that makes sense...go back to the bar.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was so drunk I could of got hit my a car walking.
How do you think you looked walking so drunk you could have been hit by a car?
I have been that drunk before too.
But then you say this......

Theres a meeting 6 blocks away but I can't drive & will look silly riding my bike there.
You think anyone will think you look silly riding a bike? Any sillier than being so drunk you could have been hit by a car?

Really? Do you see the problem with that thinking?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
High on Life

You were in this situation before and you dodged a bullet, then you put yourself back in the line of fire, this wasn't even a stray bullet, you put a bullseye on and became a walking target.........It's like you were trying to commit suicide

If you don't learn from your mistakes, there is no use in making them....
Old 11-10-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Yeah, that makes sense...go back to the bar.
I'm only going to go back to ask to be barred from the place so I won't have to deal with the wreckless bartenders who put my life at risk by serving me from 6pm until almost midnight. I mean I don't think normal drinkers chug alcohol for that long. I had to miss work today because I'm so hungover & my boss doesn't like me anymore since I called him an a-hole. So I will probably be losing my job due to yesterdays awful fiasco.