Notices

baffling disease

Old 11-09-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

baffling disease

I'm 10 months sober and have a co-worker who is 6 1/2 years and active in AA.
I don't know him too well, but I sort of look up to him for his sober time and knowledge of recovery stuff I assumed he had, but haven't discussed with him.

This co-worker has embarked on a controlled drinking experiment...

I couldn't believe my ears when he told his reasoning; He was, afterall only going to have a little out of the bottle at a time, and this was only to salve the rotten last 30 days he's had.

Anyhow it just seemed to illustrate the 'cunning and baffling' nature so well, coz this guys knows all about this stuff, right?

It didn't even trigger me really just too odd to hear...
Old 11-09-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CR79 View Post
I'm 10 months sober and have a co-worker who is 6 1/2 years and active in AA.
I don't know him too well, but I sort of look up to him for his sober time and knowledge of recovery stuff I assumed he had, but haven't discussed with him.

This co-worker has embarked on a controlled drinking experiment...

I couldn't believe my ears when he told his reasoning; He was, afterall only going to have a little out of the bottle at a time, and this was only to salve the rotten last 30 days he's had.

Anyhow it just seemed to illustrate the 'cunning and baffling' nature so well, coz this guys knows all about this stuff, right?

It didn't even trigger me really just too odd to hear...
wow 6.5 years down the drain that's a total shame!

glad to hear it wasn't a trigger for you
Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Wow. It never worked for most of us the first time I wonder why they think it'll work now. That's too bad, but good that it hasn't gotten under your skin.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

CR, I can see why that would be troubling. This shows us an example of how we only have a "daily reprieve" sometimes.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happens all the time! People get sopber off meetings and fellowhip which are very powerful but if you are an alcoholic you'll need more which is why the real program of AA is the same as it was 75 years ago and one that has saved the lives of thousands of alcoholics before us

AA - Get a sponsor to guide you through the steps to get a spiritual awakening to recover from alcoholism
Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
High on Life

I don't think the disease is baffling.

Before all the Big Book AA people jump on top of me, hear me out.

I think it's just human nature.

I believe we as humans hate to admit defeat, so we will try, try, try again until we get it right. Only in most cases it never happens.

Look at relationships, there are people who break up repeatedly and get back together. Why on earth would they get back together if it didn't work the first time?? Is the relationship baffling???
Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Happens all the time! People get sopber off meetings and fellowhip which are very powerful but if you are an alcoholic you'll need more which is why the real program of AA is the same as it was 75 years ago and one that has saved the lives of thousands of alcoholics before us

AA - Get a sponsor to guide you through the steps to get a spiritual awakening to recover from alcoholism
Awesome point! This is exactly what happened to me, I got into AA and fell into this trap of not really working with a sponsor (I had one, but we didn't do any work), going to meetings, and hanging with the fellowship. It definitely kept me dry for a period, but I wasn't living in a solution, I hadn't had that vital spiritual experience. The insanity was kept at bay largely, though it was not removed. So, as predicted I found myself baffled, once again, using.

Found my way back into AA, did things differently, sought a solution and took action to realize this. Fast forward 8 years, moved out of state, fell back into relying on the fellowship. I found that I had systematically kicked out of my life-"Thanks for helping me with the drinking thing, but stay out of my relationships, professional life, gambling, pocket book, sex life, etc. I can manage those things just fine thank you." I found that the insanity of this disease came roaring back-I had a string of affairs, lost a lot of money gambling online, was living in a sleazy motel, and resenting everyone (including my wife who was "leaving me" even though I was the one having the affair-sick thinking, I know). I found myself as sick as ever, again with no solution. Annnnnnnnd I was still going to 2-3 meetings per week, hanging with sober peeps, etc. What was missing? The solution contained in the book. I had to surrender again to this process as I found myself outside a bar, alone, in my head, wanting to quiet the voices.

I still have no idea what prevented me from walking in and taking a drink ("...magic time!"), the only thing I can contribute that to is god.

Since then I have recommited and revisted this work and have been experience all of the promises I was guaranteed.

So yeah, cunning, baffling, and powerful indeed. But, gratefully, there is a solution that I can now live in and remain free from the bondage for another day.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm kind of with TheEnd on this one.

My friend just bad 15 years this weekend. He works constantly on his emotional well being, he is as happy as I have ever seen him. I look up to him not because hehas 15 years (which I think is mind boggling) But I look up to him for how hard he works on himself...hmmmm...maybe I should tell him that some day:-)