Notices

I am thinking I am an alcoholic...

Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

RubyCanoe,

I have to agree with the poster who mentioned that alcoholism is not in itself a property of the frequency or volume of alcohol consumed.

As a case in point, I will certify that I did not reach the levels I consume now when I first began my drinking career. If I had asked the questions you are asking now, then maybe I would have had the benefit of an opportunity to reevaluate my behavior and possibly make the choice to remain as sober as possible before the disease progressed.

However, so as not to conflates an incident of hypochondria with alcohol dependence, I will suggest the following.

I suggest that you try to measure how long you can go without drinking, and without experincing any strong cravings. Is it a day? A week? A month?

Before I descended (rapidly) into the throes of alcoholism, there was a period in my mid twenties where I was able to abstain for a couple of years. However, my inability to cope with a busy lifestyle very quickly manifested itself as a preponderence towards indulgence.

So, try it out, report back, and perhaps we can all shed some light.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The reason I picked today and St. Martin of Tours was kind of a spiritual experience or reason. I look at the patron saints page a lot and read a lot about them. I had been praying if God really wanted me to quit and to show me and I went through the days of this upcoming week and Nov. 11 was St Martin of Tours feast day, and he is a patron saint against alcoholism. It really choked me up because it did feel like a sign from God that he wanted me to quit and today to be the day! So here I am and I really feel like it is God's will. Even if it is alcohol abuse versus dependent, it is progressive like everyone says, and I have enough alcoholics and addicts in my life I need to do it for them also, for family friends, God, and myself. Thanks again everyone , I appreciate all the comments, and have been in the newcomers forum a lot over the years but always come back after I start drinking again.