Notices

It's so tough on Saturday night

Old 11-06-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stumbling Drunk

It's so tough on Saturday night

This is my 5th day sober in my most recent attempt to do this. All day today I've felt it building, smooth-talking me into spending Saturday night in my usual falling-down drunk manner. I've always drank every day, but Saturday night's my special time. By not putting a drunk on I almost feel like I'm robbing myself of something. It's easier during the work week when I know I have to get up in the morning, but Sunday morning? Woo-Hoo!

I almost caved like 5 seperate times today. I was standing right there, looking at a 30-pack and I walked away. I reminded myself of last weekend...

Which I don't remember. From sometime early Saturday till about 3am Monday morning, I apparently existed, but there's no memory of it. What I discovered in that early Monday hour was that the house was trashed. I don't mean violently, I mean I must have been falling around all over the place. At some point must have landed in the hutch, because all the decorative plates and such were smashed. Some electrical project I was working on resulted in the cord being torn out of my DVD player. Amazingly, the house itself didn't burn down... I found two burnt-out candles with the wax splattered all over. That's really hard to clean, I found out. Maybe they were on the hutch when I landed in it.

So it seems pretty obvious to me that I'm in grave danger if I don't do something about this. I've known for a long time, actually, but in the past year my episodes have really been extra crazy.

It's amazing to me, I never even thought I had a problem till I tried to not drink. Couldn't do it. That was a few years ago. Knowing I have a problem hasn't changed much. Once that first can hits my lips, all worries gone.

Last night (my 4th night sober) I actually started shaking. It just turned on like someone flipped a switch. That's a new one. I was able to sleep, thankfully and felt ok this morning. I'm not looking for medical advice, thank you.

I've been eating like crazy since I stopped drinking on the 2nd. I can down 5 full-sized meals a day easily. To try and help not drink this difficult night, I bought a large pizza. I finished it on like 15 minutes. Crazy, huh?

It's going to continue to be a struggle for me tonight, I can see that, but I simply don't want to die. Therefore, I MUST do something about this drinking monster inside of me.

Sunday's gonna be a bitch, too.

I normally drink most of a 30-pack on Sunday.

Thanks for reading.

I hope there's something good on TV to keep me laughing. Anything to keep that first can from hitting my lips.

LT
Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I finished it on like 15 minutes. Crazy, huh
Not at all. You're filling the void that alcohol filled, and pizza is a lot better to be having than beer. I'm glad you're staying sober, no matter how you're doing it.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Saturday was never that difficult for me. I guess because I haven't worked in a while so every day was just one giant party. Except for the fact that the party was outside, underneath subway tracks because I was homeless.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

A big part of sobering is cracking those habitual moments of drinking. I hope there is something good on TV for you too. It's an amazing thing those triggers are. If you have special times like this when you'd normally be drinking it helps to plan ahead with something to do to keep you busy.

I'm with, Least. It's actually a pretty normal thing to switch to food (although 15 minutes for one large is pretty impressive!) First time I started sobering up I was drinking this cheap soda we have in Michigan. I was tossing the empty plastic bottles in a bedroom closet. I think after a week the pile was about three feet high.

I know you said "no medical advice" and we can't give that anyway, but just keep an eye on your body/health. Five days is not always out of the water; if new problems develop don't wait around a second.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

By not putting a drunk on I almost feel like I'm robbing myself of something.
I used to feel that way too.

Now I wonder what exactly I thought I was missing - doing something stupid tonight, being sick tonight or feeling like crap tomorrow, feeling like I just mortgaged another piece of my soul...

You're doing the right thing LT.
Stick with it

D
Old 11-06-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I remember those first "few" weekends well. They are tuff for sure.

Looking back, there was too much time in the day for me. Think about what I just said - there was too much time in the day for me. I was wishing time away (how sad is that...).

I promise you, it does get better.

Well done on posting here. Another great thing to do is go to a meeting (you'll be in a room full of people either doing or trying to do the same thing you are - not drink

Hang in there! ...and let us know tomorrow that you made it.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Saturday night has been the worst for me too! I'm just sitting here sulking, which is stressing me out because I know I need to get things done for a bunch of deadlines this week.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Today is day 14 for me. First few days were tough physically. Today has to be the worst mentally. It took a lot to keep me from going to the store and getting that little bottle of Beam that I was obsessing over.
Coincidentally, about 1 hour ago, I was eating 2 slices of pizza in my car at the same mini mall as the liquor store.
Pizza... the wonder drug that works.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It does get better...the first few weekends I was at a bit of a loss what to do with myself...now I wish my weekends were longer because they are full of amazing wonderful things that I can actually do. Until you get to that point hang out here and we will keep you company...next time save some pizza for me!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
High on Life

Saturday nights don't seem to bother me, because I really didn't drink that much so I could wake up early and run on Sundays, but Saturday mornings do, actually this morning was kind of difficult but I made it...
Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

TheEnd-- good job on making it through the morning!

readythistime & LaFemme-- I'm craving pizza too! I wish we could all share one. I'm a bit weird though. I love pineapple pizza. No Canadian bacon like a real Hawaiian pizza... just pineapple.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AAudrey

DVDs?

Can you get a dvd to watch, or a couple? I picked up four today at the library! Laughed so hard! Love to watch TV and laugh. The movie with Vince Vaugn on vacation with three other couples is VERY funny! Think it's called Couples Retreat; tonight I watched When in Rome and Its Complicated. Both very funny if you like romantic comedies.

Do you have anyone that you can meet or call to talk with?

Good book works too.

SWEETS like chocolate TOOK THE EDGE OFF OF THE PHYSICAL CRAVING FOR ME AND I DRANK CRANBERRY JUICE AND PLENTY OF WATER AND WAS VERY TIRED MOST OF THE TIME FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS and drank a lot of coffee!!. THE SHAKES STOPPED FOR ME AFTER THREE DAYS AND THEN THE VOMITING. EEE GAD!!!. EXPECT TO BE VERY TIRED!

Glad to see that you are making the decision to LIVE! CONGRATS!!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LTrzczka View Post

I normally drink most of a 30-pack on Sunday.

LT
On Friday, April 17, 2009, I polished off what I hope is my last 30 pack. You and I drank in a very similar way, my friend. What is crazy, is that a 30 pack didn't sound like too much as long as I paced myself and spread it out over 13 or 14 hours. On a bad weekend I would start with two shooters of Peppermint Snapps and then go into the beer. I could get my buzz going so much faster when I did that.

I don't know if I will ever drink again. But I am thankful that I spent another day dry.

I started to get the shakes sometimes too. They were subtle, but now having spent 18 months in a sober body, I can see that they were there... I am sure that if I had kept going I would have real withdrawals and maybe even the terrifying DT's every time I quit.

But, thanks to the fellowship, willingness, and an open mind. I am bone dry today.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I Agree totally LT, sat and sun night= high risk nights, one thing do now, every sat night take a long drive, go buy some tasty food..a few different treats help take your mind off the obsession, Helps here, good luck.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey, there! Just wanted to jump in here early on Sunday morning. I hope your night when well (or as well as can be expected), and I hope Sunday finds you ready to tackle a new day. Take your shower, get dressed, get out of the house, go to the grocery store and buy some good snacks (don't forget the popcorn!) and iced tea/soda/seltzer. Then go get some DVDs--as someone else here suggested. I like to mix it up and watch movies that totally enable me to "escape" for a while, whether that's comedy, action, or scary movies (which, for some perverse reason, I love). Do whatever you need to do to stay sober--JUST FOR TODAY. I always like my Sunday 5:30 p.m. AA meeting, because it sets the tone for the rest of the week; and then I come home and eat something yummy (tonight it's catfish) or go out for burgers with the other drunks, which is like a second meeting after the meeting.

I only recommend AA, because that is what has worked for me in the past (WHEN I "work it"), and it's what's helping now at 15 days sober. And, no, at first I did NOT like meetings--I resented the fact that I even had to be there! But I DID HAVE TO BE THERE; it has saved my life. Also, I have a great sponsor to whom I speak everyday. It keeps me anchored as I wade my way through Step One once again. I know I'm an alcoholic, and in my heart I know I have truly surrendered, but is that enough to stop my alcoholic thinking? Not quite. I have to stay close to the program, and am trying to hit as many meetings as I can. And I have to keep it in the day. What's worked for me--and some here may argue the logic of such thinking--is that I tell myself, "If it's that important, I can drink tomorrow, but today I am not going to drink." And I just say that to myself every day, and it really helps me build day upon day upon day.

Lastly, if you continue to experience withdrawal symptoms, please contact your Dr. and maybe get a referral to an outpatient detox and also rehab (where you might go anywhere from twice a week to five nights a week for three-hour group sessions--some are 12-Step-based, others are SMART Recovery-based, and I'm sure there are other outpatient approaches as well). The point is, you cannot recover in isolation. I truly believe this.

Have a good day. It will make for a great tomorrow, when you don't wake up to find the house trashed or burnt down. Remember that you don't want another lost weekend like last weekend, and stay plugged in here too--even if that means you spend the whole day on here.

Sorry for such a long post, but thank you for reading!

Via
Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Weekends were always my big downfall too. I would think nothing of polishing off anywhere between 24-36 beers each day. If there was under a case left in the fridge, I'd make sure to hit the liquor store "just in case" I ran out!

That's how it was for me EVERY weekend for 10 years. The first few months were really hard for me to get through, but now that I've been sober for over 16 months, the weekends don't seem long enough! I've re-started a few hobbies that I used to love, but went by the wayside because they cut into my drinking time.

It was hard for me to believe some of the folks here when they said it would get better, but it really did...and living sober is even BETTER than I ever imagined.

Hang in there. You didn't become an alcoholic overnight and it'll take awhile for your mind and body to adjust, but believe me, they both will in time. The results are just too damn good not to give it a chance!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh weekends! ay yi yi...it's not easy

Just stopping (which wasn't long ago!), I ate A LOT, and lay in bed a lot, just waiting to fall asleep, watched a lot of netflix, went to meetings, anything to just not drink just for today.

Some days I was bored out of my mind, some I was pacing and felt itchy, some I was completely despondent and crying.

It never failed though - waking up sober on Saturday morning, Sunday morning, and Monday mornig - was a guaranteed moment of , 'Hey! This is nice!'

Hang in there, it does get better if you can just stay away from that first drink just for today.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Vival, totally forgot how much I escaped through movies and games on the internet for like ever! Of course, in addition to AA all day, every day Thanks for the gentle reminder! Yep, that definately works! For me, it took a while to simply be able to retain anything. Still having trouble with that! haha
Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Dee,

feeling like I just mortgaged another piece of my soul...

That's a great line, you should put some music with it . . .
Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hey! You're getting there!

I would suggest a walk, today. Getting fresh air always helps me sleep better, as well.