Notices

NA vs AA

Old 10-30-2010, 10:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't have a problem with someone in AA identifying him/herself as "an alcoholic and and addict," nor do I have a problem with someone mentioning drugs, as long as that isn't the primary focus of his/her share. Lots of people when they share their "story" mention drugs, but only mention them as being part of what they experienced. Even though dealing with drugs is not our primary purpose, drug use is often intertwined with alcohol use. In college I took diet pills to intensify my drunk.

I wouldn't go into an NA meeting and share, myself. My VERY minor experience with drugs wouldn't qualify me to.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic, but I attend NA meetings weekly rather than AA mtgs. Almost half the peeps there are alcoholics and the other half are addicts or both. In general it seems like a bit younger crowd..but maybe cuz meth and such is a "newer" drug?? Im not sure. I attended AA years ago..and I didnt feel as comfortable as I do at NA..not really sure why..but I have always felt soo welcomed. Im sure its different in every group, town, state and country for that matter. What ever keeps ya sober I say! Actually, arent they all based on the same principles...we are powerless over our addictions and we believe a higher power can restore us to sanity. Be it shopping, sex, gambling, food, alcohol or other drugs. To me its kind of like church..dont matter to me what church ya go to....I think we all believe in some kind of a higher power.

THe NA groups here in my town. are larger then the AA groups, and have been my miracle.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Spirit....if I had the experience you shared above
I would be finding myself a different meeting
or consider beginning a new one.

Not sure what kind of meeting that is but it's not for me.
"A Coffee pot...2 drunks sharing".........

Narcotics were not my addiction
alcohol is....I'll stay in AA

and wish everyone the joy of recovery
Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am right in there with Lexie,

The announcement I hear at meetings is "please confine your discussion to your problems as the relate to alcohol" ... Many things happen on our way to alcoholism... bad marriages, economic hardship, betrayal... and, well, drugs... I don't mind a share that includes mention of drugs, just like mention of a failed relationship... it's relevant... and in BOTH cases... the important part is how they relate to a problem with alcohol... and in BOTH cases my opinion is that one should not ramble on about either... yeah, it's part of what happened... but... most important... I want to hear.... How did you recover?????

I got addicted to pills, I don't identify with being an addict... I stopped the pills and while difficult to do.... I did not need a spiritual solution to recover from that addiction, I knew I was addicted, I stopped them... Done... No 12 steps, no spiritual awakening, no group therapy... I have no desire to take them again as I don't want to go through that whole mess... And that lack of desire is enough... Plus... and this is the whole point for me... they would lead me back to... alcohol.... my problems as they relate to alcoholism ....

Now, Alcohol... different story

As for differences between AA and NA... plenty, but they are mostly subjective in nature, and they are real... but because they are subjective, it's hard to express them, at least for me...

As I mentioned earlier, I think the biggest difference is recovered vs. recovering in terms of their cultures....

Mark
Old 10-31-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

NA is based on the same principles as AA, make no mistake about that. AA simply states that they wish to hear about your experience, strength and hope as they pertain to alcohol...NA seems to be much more inclusive to different types of chemical addiction.

i went to a few NA meetings after i got off the pills. i see them being just as hardcore and willing to stay sober, they just deal with a larger or more broad set of dependencies.

hope that helps.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Mark put it very well. When I share about my story (which is posted in the "stories" section), I can't tell it without mentioning it in the context of my relationships. I was married to two alcoholics--and both relationships (one person got sober in AA and stayed that way for almost 31 years and the other went back to drinking after almost dying of it) had a significant impact on my own drinking history and my attitude toward recovery.

I don't share at length about the relationships, except as they related to my drinking or my eventual recovery. To that extent they are important.

If I am listening to someone share about how he or she had a period of sobriety, and then started drinking again after using pain pills to excess, I think that's important to know and to hear about.

I guess this is getting a little bit away from the topic, but it does bear on the perceived adherence to the "primary purpose" in AA.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by LexieCat
I don't have a problem with someone in AA identifying him/herself as "an alcoholic and and addict," nor do I have a problem with someone mentioning drugs, as long as that isn't the primary focus of his/her share.
I feel the same. The meetings that I go to many people identify as alcoholic and addict. I feel that if a person is seeking treatment for their problems in a self-help group, so be it. Maybe latter they will get to understand the traditions of the group.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
I am right in there with Lexie,

The announcement I hear at meetings is "please confine your discussion to your problems as the relate to alcohol" ... Mark
True, doesn't stop anyone sharing IN DETAIL. Not here anyway.

I have to leave the meeting. I have been to so many different meetings and it's always the same; all over this area. Even wrote the area delegagates. My sponsor tells me to carry the message; nothing I can do about it.

Powerless, tolerance. I like all alcoholic BEVERAGES. Alcohol is a beverage ladies and gentleman. A beverage that is not found in a medicine cabinet, a pill container, a needle, a straw...yep, details, details and it's not inhaled, smoked, etc. etc. haha

AA is all about identification for the newcomer, so it is important that the shares are about alcohol.

I don't stay up all night when I drink, I pass out.

That being said, there's a BIG difference between the two fellowships.

If you want more information about the two, I would suggest Alcoholics Anonymous :. There's a pamphlet entitled "problems other than alcohol."

FML haha
Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
AAudrey

And thanks for being understanding, patient and tolerant with me. I am clearly venting and it helps a lot.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Spirit08
Powerless, tolerance. I like all alcoholic BEVERAGES. Alcohol is a beverage ladies and gentleman. A beverage that is not found in a medicine cabinet, a pill container, a needle, a straw...yep, details, details and it's not inhaled, smoked, etc. etc. haha
True, alcohol is considered a beverage. But boy oh boy what a beverage it is. I've consumed plenty of beverages in my time. I enjoy a ice cold Sprite myself. I also like to use a straw when I drink it...LOL
Old 10-31-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

IMO, to exclude drugs from AA would probably exclude half the members at this stage.
I have no drugs in my story. I think it must be easier to give up drink as drugs are less predictable. They can mess someone up to the point of no return SO much faster.
Also, I have noticed that the drunkies sometimes look down on the junkies! A lot of people attend AA rather than identify themselves as a drug-addict.
I have seen in our local treatment centre that they mix in all the addicts. I disagree strongly with this. The poor alkies can't have chocolate coz the overeaters might get to it! I am always being told to keep some candy around and it really helps! Do the gamblers start wagering who is going to drop out first? I don't no. I'm confused!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Audrey... we agree probably almost 100%... maybe not though, IDK... certainly in principle... Maybe I am fortunate with my home group, shares rarely get much into details with drugs, and when they do, we have some old timers who are adept at getting us back to our primary purpose...

I share a bit (not at length) about my experience with drugs when I share my story... It is important to understanding my problem with alcohol... Not mentioning it would not be sharing my ESH...

Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Spirit08 View Post
I like all alcoholic BEVERAGES. Alcohol is a beverage ladies and gentleman. A beverage that is not found in a medicine cabinet, a pill container, a needle, a straw...yep, details, details and it's not inhaled, smoked, etc. etc. haha
I understand where you're coming from, but keep in mind alcohol is a drug. To me it doesn't matter how someone takes their DOC, because you are still taking a mind altering substance that must be affecting you're life in some way or you wouldn't be there, so why be annoyed by someone in an AA room if they bring up drugs. Remember you're supposed to be looking for similarities in the stories, not differences, and in the end, there are certainly more similarities than differences.

I mean if the whole focus of their story is about drugs then that is different, but I also know people that prefer AA over NA, because they have important jobs and don't want to be stigmatized by being seen coming out of an NA room, I don't know, maybe it's just me...
Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
but keep in mind alcohol is a drug. To me it doesn't matter how someone takes their DOC, because you are still taking a mind altering substance that must be affecting you're life in some way or you wouldn't be there, so why be annoyed by someone in an AA room if they bring up drugs. Remember you're supposed to be looking for similarities in the stories, not differences, and in the end, there are certainly more similarities than differences.

I mean if the whole focus of their story is about drugs then that is different, but I also know people that prefer AA over NA, because they have important jobs and don't want to be stigmatized by being seen coming out of an NA room, I don't know, maybe it's just me...
Nope, alcohol is not a drug. I strongly disagree with you. Alcohol is a beverage. It's socially acceptable an it's not illegal to DRINK it. If you think it's a drug, then you belong in NA.

The difference is that Alcohol is NOT addictive by it's very nature. There are people who can drink safely. Alcohol is not labeled "addictive." Drugs are. AND THEY'RE ILLEGAL! Define phenomon

•A phenomenon often refers to an extraordinary event. ...

So, when you bring the phenomenon of craving into the picture, what kind of phenomonenon is it that drugs do what they're designed to do?

Anyway, you made my point. People that belong in NA hijack AA.

AA can thank Marty Mann for AA having a treatment center cloud over it that just won't go away unfortunately. Anyway, I can drive to New York, where there's NO DRUGS, NO SWEARING or they throw you out on your a**

HAHAHA
Old 10-31-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Audrey... we agree probably almost 100%... maybe not though, IDK... certainly in principle... Maybe I am fortunate with my home group, shares rarely get much into details with drugs, and when they do, we have some old timers who are adept at getting us back to our primary purpose...

I share a bit (not at length) about my experience with drugs when I share my story... It is important to understanding my problem with alcohol... Not mentioning it would not be sharing my ESH...

mentioning that there is drugs in your story is one thing. Even then, I really don't want to hear it. HONEST

That's the same as people who share the father's or mother's drinking and not their own. That's a different fellowship called ALANON!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no opinion on organisations I'm not a part of, but seems to me you might want to do a bit of reading Audrey:

Drug experts say alcohol worse than crack, heroin | Reuters

D
Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Never said it wasn't worse; I said that it's different.

Seems to me that article is an "outside issue." And AA has no opinions on outside issues. This is written by people outside of AA.

Cigarettes are worse than herion. Who cares? Has nothing to do with alcohol.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm OK with that Audrey, in fact when I do share, I always remember that there are AAs in the room who feel as strongly as you and so I make the point and move on quickly.

It was a lot easier to score some acid (or whatever, insert substance here ___) when I was twelve than it was to get booze... I just wanted, needed, to change how I felt... Once I could reliably score alcohol, then I never looked back nor too long at the dry goods...

Now that that is out of the way...

Old 10-31-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

When you make statements like these Audrey

Nope, alcohol is not a drug. I strongly disagree with you. Alcohol is a beverage. It's socially acceptable an it's not illegal to DRINK it.

The difference is that Alcohol is NOT addictive by it's very nature. There are people who can drink safely. Alcohol is not labeled "addictive." Drugs are. AND THEY'RE ILLEGAL!
I feel an urge to offer a clarifying counter statement for the sake of others reading. Character flaw #5463

Whether you feel alcohol is a drug in the AA/NA context is one thing...arguing generally it's not a drug at all or not addictive would be something else.

returning you now to your previous programme....

D
Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

A drug is defined as alters normal bodily function...so ethanol(alcohol) is definitely a drug:-)

Pure alcoholics are a dying breed, excuse the pun, cross addiction is rife because of the accessibility of drugs today and due to the fact that, although illegal, are actually very socially acceptable especially Cannabis. Addicts are told that any drug including alcohol is a nono so they end up in AA as well as NA, whereas if you are a pure alchie why would you go to NA...as long as the addict shares about alcohol in AA no problem IMO...

But still cross addicition now is in the majority...maybe CA...no wait thats cocaine...

The cigarettes vs heroin thing is ages old and originally was based on the harm it does to the body, pure heroin wont do afraction of the damage that tobacco will in a controlled experiment...out on the street thats not the case cos its not pure heroin and you have to take into account the enviroment etc...

what was the question again lol