Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Is it possible someone to become an [B]alcholic[/B]?

Notices

Is it possible someone to become an [B]alcholic[/B]?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Here's another point. There are times when even I now could moderate my drinking. I didn't get absolutely shiitfaced each time I drank. Also, THIS IS IMPORTANT, there are times when non-alcoholics don't moderate their drinking. There are people that get drunk and are not alcoholics, just like there are alcoholics that can moderate on a one time night...

My theory is all drinkers run the risk of alcohol severely hurting their lives. We all know girls that drink a few to many glasses of wine and start crying and acting nuts, just like the guys who drink too much and end up fighting... Not all of them are alcoholics... The point is alcohol never changes. It is poision that makes a wreck of our emotions, changes the way we think, and makes us loose our inhibitions.... Doesn't matter what lable you put on yourself or others, it is what it is......

I hate booze. It has hurt me in so many ways and shame on me for thinking that I could control it. The only way I can control it, is by not doing it.... Sorry for the double post lol...
Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by tacks View Post

So i, more or less, was not an alcoholic and then became one? Stating such seems to go against AA's definition of what an alcoholic is.
I drank for 30+ years. The first 25;

I drank as much as I intended to.
I drank as often as I intended to.
I caused as much trouble I intended to.

There were times when I got Pi$$ faced drunk every day and caused lots of trouble. Most people would have called me an alcoholic based on the quantity that I drank alone. However, when I intended to stop at 3 drinks, I could. I could take a few weeks off if I needed to as well.

The last 5 years;

I drank more than I intended to.
I drank more often than I intended to.
I caused more trouble than I intended to.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
tacks.....
Last I noticed...you were going to NA
Are you still attending?
Hi Carol,

Actually i'm now in an outpatient rehab program that somewhat conflicts with the NA meetings. I'm somewhat less anxious to find meetings after doing 7.5 hrs of meetings per week. Nonetheless i ought to keep seeking out good meetings.

tacks
Old 10-25-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Unfortunately, we've been successfully conditioned, especially here in the US, to look for solutions that cost money, seem like the easiest route and treat symptoms before we even think about looking down the road less traveled let alone start walking it.
I would agree.

I think that the medical, food and pharmacutical industries/fields in the US share part of the blame for this.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

By the way, i very much enjoyed reading several of the responses here. I don't feel anyone need apologize to me for going off topic, double posting or whatever. Quite the opposite.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

When I look at my life I see the obvious.

I used to drink socially, on occasion and out with friends. I hit a very difficult time in my life that definitely warranted some outside assistance, help, support. Being that I had always been able to handle problems of my own and take on others problems as well.....I didn't seek help. I had discussed getting help with my ex who looked at me like I was nuts and thought it was a waste of time. Foolish me.

The immediate solution was to find some kind of peace and happiness so I turned to something that had been there during the good times - alcohol. It started slowly at night on occasion when the pain was to much. Then it became a muzzle when I didn't want to do things, it became an escape for bad days, celebration for having a good day. I never intended nor thought I would end up drinking morning, noon and night. Never thought that I would live my life around alcohol. Everything became secondary to my need and desire to drink.

Progressive and slow......I was in denial, even years into drinking, that I had a real problem. I once held the attitude (as I found many alcoholics do as well) that since I chose to pick up the drink that I was in control.

After on and off drinking, binging, trying to moderate/cutback and failing every time I knew it was out of control. Feeling helpless and desperate I hid the bottle, ashamed and embarrassed yet unable to find the strength to admit and seek help. Spent quite a bit of time in what i think of as purgatory if you will. It was during this period that I my drinking couldn't even moderated to function throughout the day really. I was bingeing so drinking went on for days while I locked in my house. It was also during this time that the physical destruction had taken its toll and my mental health was in a very dangerous place.

I drank for 10 years.....probably the first year I had a handle on it and with moderate support maybe could have stopped. Had I reached for support in dealing with the pain/depression instead of the bottle as a crutch then perhaps I wouldn't be an alcoholic. Who knows.

What I do know is that I am and I have accepted it. Once that connection was made in coping with life through the bottle it was no longer and never will be recreational or enjoyable for me again.

I will never drink again and I am just fine with that I finally got it....came to SR and then got face to face support not only with my addiction but with the pain of my past and I am forever grateful.

I know if I drank today that I would not stop....I feel it now if I think about it. I can't change what I am but I have found a new healthy beautiful way of living my life as a recovering alcoholic and I am blessed.

I am a better person in sobriety and I never needed alcohol to handle my life. Since I did go down that dark path though.....I am forever changed and for me....I will never be that person I once was. I saw what I became and how I loathed that person and the life I led.

i just wanted to share with you since your post allowed me to reflect a bit and its good stuff.