Notices

The Joy Of Sobriety

Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Abstinence Apprentice

The Joy Of Sobriety

I recall a full page ad in a magazine quite a number of years ago. It depicted a man stretching, yawning and smiling in his PJs with the sun glancing through the blinds. The caption "Happiness Is Waking Up Having Had One Too Few". It caught my attention then and now has so much more impact. Does anyone recall it?

I don't remember what they were advertising,
S
Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

no I don't.....but I certainly find recovery awesome

Glad to see you again. ..Welcome back
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Not sure, just wanted to welcome you to SR!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

"one too few" ??

in my world, it didn't eeeeven count as "partying" if I had one too few. what's the use in one too few? When 4 too many doubles is just about right, one too few didn't even exist as a possibility

Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Abstinence Apprentice

It seems I only visit this site when I slip. This is where I find comfort to get me through. I have done well this year but last night tested myself by fetching a quart and a 40. That went quick so I returned for 2 more quarts. A total of 136 ozs and I'm feeling like death today... I ended up re-verifying what I knew was going to happen. At least, I've once again boosted my incentive to steer clear of the stuff for good.

Last edited by Steadwell; 03-24-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Remove signature
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steadwell View Post
It seems I only visit this site when I slip. This is where I find comfort to get me through. I have done well this year but last night tested myself by fetching a quart and a 40. That went quick so I returned for 2 more quarts. A total of 136 ozs and I'm feeling like death today... I ended up re-verifying what I knew was going to happen. At least, I've once again boosted my incentive to steer clear of the stuff for good.
I had this same thought recently. We struggle with this special hell and it's not until we cave in and disappoint ourselves that we come here with open arms asking for help.

The realization I'm coming to is that we need to reach a point of humility and ask for the help to support our sobriety before we cave in and not just after we've ruined it.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How about just stopping by daily to say "hi"! This place keeps my mind on sobriety daily. It helps keep the slip ups from occurring for many. Come on in the AM to start the day, stop by at lunch, and check in before bed. It's an easy way to keep yourself in check.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you slipped Steadwell, but glad you're back with us.
Any ideas on what you might do next?

D
Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by BlackShip View Post
I had this same thought recently. We struggle with this special hell and it's not until we cave in and disappoint ourselves that we come here with open arms asking for help.

The realization I'm coming to is that we need to reach a point of humility and ask for the help to support our sobriety before we cave in and not just after we've ruined it.
I reached that depth, reached out for help - joined SR and AA on the same day. I've been sober for over 3 years and I hope that someday you get to feel like I do - completely free of obsession! What was unimaginable is now reality!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Abstinence Apprentice

Thank you Dee! Regarding ideas on what to do next, I think that I'll chalk this up as another learning experience and not lay too much pressure on myself. I went 2 years from 2000 to 2002 and had a slip, the pressure and disappointment caused a full-blown relapse. I won't let that happen this time. I'm learning, I may be slow, but I'm learning.

S