Notices

Anxiety/Klonopin Question

Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety/Klonopin Question

I have been plagued with anxiety the past few weeks for which I have been using Klonopin (dr. prescribed)...usually no more than .25/day. I saw a new psychiatrist today who works at the facility where I did my IOP therapy, I was hoping he could help me adjust my antidepressent. He hit the roof when I told him I was using the Klonopin....told me no way in he** should anyone with an alcohol problem be allowed to use it. I told him the Dr. who prescribed it to me knew all about it and he called that doctor irresponsible. Then he told me if my antidepressent wasnt working we would have to switch it and that process could take months but would best be done in a rehab hospital!

Have any of you been told the same thing...no no no klonopin? Any of you taking it with permission from your dr. who knows of your alcoholism...?

I do not abuse it and have only taken it to get me over a very bad emotional time.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

have to switch it and that process could take months but would best be done in a rehab hospital
It could take a while to change antiD's but never was told (by my doctor) that a stay in rehab would be necessary...

As far as the klonopin goes... it is a very addictive drug and easy to get hooked on, my sister was on it for years and had a rough w/d when she got off it. There are other anti anxiety meds which are not addictive and just as effective, maybe moreso cause of no drowsiness side effects.

I'd be wondering why he thought changing anti D's would need to be done in a rehab hospital...
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

I was given Trazadone for anxiety - not habit forming but I hear it doesn't work as well for some people. I don't think I asked for a benzo, but my doctor told me she wouldn't prescribe them to me.

I know people in AA who use Klonopin just fine. I also know people with dual addictions. I'd be real cautious about it, my unprofessional opinion.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

HuntWC,

We are all different and yet we are the same when we are addicts whether it be drugs or alcohol. Alcohol was my drug of choice...I also had clinical depression & anxiety. I was detoxed in a hospital for six days & then given
an antidepressant, an antianxiety, & a sleeping pill. I was compliant with my meds & eventually admitted to an Emotional Health Unit to get a complete physical exam & psychiatric exam for my depression & anxiety.

I had been sober 9 months when I was diagnosed with my Clinical Depression & Anxiety. I was given my antidepressant at a Theraputic Dose, no Ativan, & a natural sleep med with no addictive ingredients. I was released in ten days & went back to work.

My counselor for my Depression decided to talk with my doc about an antianxiety and I was given alprazolam 1 mg three times a day & took this a long time. I was monitored with blood draws every three months and all was okay & has been good for over 15 years.

I still take the generic Xanax but have a healthy fear of ever mis-using it. I asked myself to titrate it down to 0.25 mg & did well with it at that dose for several months until I had a melt-down & had to be admitted to a psyc hospital for ten days. My meds remained the same but the alprazolam was increased to 0.5 mg every six hours as needed.

I have been sober 22 years and also have been under a doc's care for my depression/anxiety 22 years. I also have a psychiatrist that manages my meds if needed plus a counselor I see on a PRN basis besides my doc for the follow-ups & blood draws.

I am sharing this with you because some of us need the meds we need to manage our Mental Illnesses & other meds as we get older to manage arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic pain as I do. This does not mean what I take is a good idea for others. It has taken many years to get where I am today.

Shannon
Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

I have been told that, yes.. with good reason. Klonopin is a nasty nasty drug, for me at least.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor, but I know that klonopin and xanax are controlled substances that are addictive. For me, I know I can't take anything that is addictive (although maybe if I had major surgery or something I would consider it).

There are anti-depressants that help combat anxiety, and there are also behavioral methods that help a lot. I take an anti-depressant that assists with my anxiety, and I have also found that working the 12 steps of AA has REALLY helped me to feel a lot less anxiety.

So bottom line, personally I wouldn't trust a Dr. who prescribed klonopin or xanax to an addict. As far as whether or not you would have to be hospitalized to change anti-depressants....that depends on a lot of things.....suicidality, dosage, what you take now, etc.

Again, I'm not a doctor, but this is my personal opinion/experience.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi hunt

I think you need to discuss this with your original doctor - or if you trust the second opinion you have received more, maybe look for a new doctor forthwith.

There are good doctors and not so good ones but generally speaking, none of us here are qualified to offer you better advice than a medical professional.

D
Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

While I appreciate members efforts to assist each other
this is our long standing SR rule.....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Your experience might prove dangerous to others.

This thread is now closed.