Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Advice needed: How do you tell someone you are an alcoholic?

Notices

Advice needed: How do you tell someone you are an alcoholic?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The only time I show restraint is in the professional realm. For instance, if I am applying to a new job or building new professional relationships. I am not going to divulge this information or even explain myself to someone if this topic arises.

Other than that, I am open with people. I don't necessarily offer up the information, but will explain it to them if the topic arises. I just tell them that when I drink, I tend to drink too much. I tell them that I don't just like to couple and rather not drink than just have a couple, which is the truth.

My experiences have been good. People don't harshly judge and if they did, then I did myself a favor; I filtered them out of my life. Why would I want someone who looked down upon me in my life? To me, being honest can be a greater filter.

Additionally, most people are self-absorbed and typically don't dwell on other people's problem, unless it is a problem that is causing them a problem.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
No experience, but... Why don't you start off with "I don't drink" and if you feel that the relationship seems to be going somewhere, let her know why you don't drink.

Just a thought.
I agree with Mark. "I don't drink" wouldn't be an untruth. Later on if a good and healthy relationship develops, then you can explain why you don't drink.

As time goes by, the longer your sober, you will eventually find that it isn't a big problem telling people that you don't drink because you are an alcoholic. Being an alcoholic isn't anything to be ashamed of, unless your still active. But knowing me, if I was still active, I wouldn't admit I am an alcoholic.

You'll be okay.

Harry
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
skg

If they're your family, they already know; If they're your friends, the ones left already know; If they're going to be your friends, they need to know. Anyone else, you're just bragging.

Or you can just say, "I'm allergic. When I drink, I break out in handcuffs."
Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have gotten this question a number of times. Usually, "I don't drink alcohol" suffices. Some then have pursued it and asked if I EVER drank. To which I have replied: "Yes, but I didn't like how it made me feel."

That's the truth and I have never had the questioning continue after that.

I agree with Anti-D...most people are self-absorbed and if they really push, then something else is going on...inside them.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've been on a couple dates lately, actually more like meeting for coffee than an actual date, and when asked about drinking, I told them I used to drink, but kept breaking out in handcuffs, lol. One lady cracked up and the other was like, Oh my God, lol.

I still see the first for coffee now and again, the second, oh well, lol.

If they can't laugh with you, well.......see ya.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

"How do you tell someone you are an alcoholic?"

When you are ready. Meet up at places besides a bar and you won't have to deal with it as much. Most younger people do not understand at this point in time what alcoholism truly is or they do and they don't want to get involved with an alcoholic of any form.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I would just say you don't drink. I mean, if you had lost 100 pounds you wouldn't say "I'm a fat guy wrapped in a skinnier body"... your past is your past. If you are no longer drinking, be proud of it. You don't have to get into details unless you want to and feel comfortable, but you are not your past. You are a non-drinker now, end of story... Best of luck!