Notices

Walked out of a meeting tonight.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

nevermind
Old 10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nacona View Post
I just wanted to know if it was normal for someone to act that way in a meeting. How is that focusing on myself? just a question. Also, I have "gone out" with so many newcomers in my past that I stay away from them now.
I was just talking in reference to you saying you felt down, no energy, worrying about spiritual awakening, etc. My suggestion was just trying to find someone having problems and just listening to them. Often it helps people to help others.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I removed my post, because I figured I was thinking of something other than what you were referring to.....thank you for your help. And you are right, when I don't focus on ME, I do seem to have more energy.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Man, that's rough, that experience.

I often have to remember principles above personalities. AA is made up of people and people can be idiots at times.

What I was taught was to say whatever I needed to say to stay sober that day. For me, when I was first getting sober, that was most often how hard it was, how much it sucked to be going through this, and how I felt about it. That's what kept me sober.

I was lucky to be in meetings with lots of folks who had time and sympathy. They listened to me and gave me words of hope after the meeting. That got me through and I'm very grateful.

Go to the meeting that will help you stay sober, naconal. At this point you are not really in a place to be of service except as the newcomer in the meeting. It's haaaaaarrrrd to get sober. The physical and emotional withdrawal kicked my butt and I talked alot about that butt kicking. I needed to. And thank God I'm still sober. That's just a miracle.

Susan
Old 10-23-2010, 01:52 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

im kind of a newcomer to mtgs...but at the ones I go to here..they always have a part before the topic when they ask if anyone has anything they need to talk about regarding their own recovery..then peeps can get some stuff off their chest if they need to. im not sure if thats a regular part of mtgs..or just something that these mtgs do??
Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I went to the business meeting but there was so much fighting going on (mostly between women who have at least 20 years sobriety) that I felt very uncomfortable and didn't bring up anything that I wanted to address.

I asked one lady at the break if all of the business meetings are like that and she looks confused. I said....there was so much tension. She said, oh yeah - a bunch of egos getting together. I don't want to be like that when I have 20 years of sobriety. They kept picking on one lady in particular - it was crazy...and the men just sat there. It was kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I have 33 days today and am not giving up. I am going to meetings almost every night and will look for more down by my work to try out as well.

The lady who told us newcomers how to share was there and went out of her way to be nice. Her sponsor told me that I shouldn't have walked out of the meeting, but that she was proud of me for coming back as she thought for sure I was going to get drunk.

On Thursday night I was late leaving work so was late getting to the meeting and missed the chips. The mean lady (haha) said, hey don't you have 30 days now? I said yes, so she had the chip guy bring the chips back out and present me with my 30-day chip.

Last night's meeting took a turn to Bible talk. People were quoting from the Bible. I thought that was strange, but ... whatever. I guess not every meeting is going to be what I want. I wish they would talk more about the Big Book instead of the Bible (we are not all Christians), but I guess that's me being self-centered (still not sure what that means) or is that selfish? I honestly can't grasp either -
Old 10-23-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 33 days Nacona

D
Old 10-23-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Fighting during business meetings, sponsor's sponsor telling you what to do, reading the Bible? Nacona honey, you need to find a better meeting.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

From what y'all are sharing about your experiences
in meetings......I may not be a member of AA.....

Nacona......Congratulations on your sober time
Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

ILast night's meeting took a turn to Bible talk. People were quoting from the Bible. I thought that was strange, but ... whatever. I guess not every meeting is going to be what I want. I wish they would talk more about the Big Book instead of the Bible (we are not all Christians), but I guess that's me being self-centered (still not sure what that means) or is that selfish? I honestly can't grasp either -
If it's relevant to AA I don't see an issue with it.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

The Big Book of AA is based largely on another "old" publication written a long, long time ago...
Old 10-31-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
AAudrey

(I said that I could clean, bake, do laundry when I was drinking but now I can't do anything)

ME TOO! I'M STILL TELLING MYSELF THAT! HAHA I COMPLETELY IDENTIFY!

I felt really put off by that - is this normal?

YES, IT'S NORMAL! WE ARE DEFIANT BY NATURE AND CONTROLLING BY NATURE.
Is this self-pity? Can someone explain this to me?

NOPE, I DON'T SEE IT AS SELF-PITY. I SEE IT AS SELF-DEFEATING. BLEEDING DEACONS CAN BE A REAL PAIN IN THE ASS; I WAS ALWAYS TOLD BY MY SPONSOR, I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS....WE GET DOWN TO CAUSES AND CONDITIONS. YEP, IT'S ALL NORMAL.

LEVELING OF THE PRIDE COMES NEXT...HANG IN THERE AND KCB!

Blessings,