Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

help with my sudden usual behavior i have been experiencing for a few weeks

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello im wondering am i overreacting or am i going thru a alcohol withdrawal.
I'm 18, i was drinking on and off when i was at the age of 14, is like a once in a blue but everytime i drink i will drink a lot till the point where i will vomit or can't walk straight. Till the age of 17 where i start drinking alot everyday for around 7 months straight, starting from the beginning of february to the beginning of september . The first four or five months (i honestly can't remember) i will empty like a pack of beer per day. During my summer time i was move to a country house in new jersey and all i did was drink or smoke in the house. Then i start drinking anything wine, beer and liquors depending on my mood till i feel drunk enough to go to sleep. Recently around the beginning of september, my sister told me to stop drinking and it was a bad habit. After i quit a few days i notice that something awkward about myself and it have lasted for weeks (From my fathers point of view i started acting differently at the beginning of september). I had a few drinks every once a week and in those times i feel less tense. These are the things i notice about myself during the time i stop drinking at the beginning of september to today.

I notice have a depression, i been really sad. I have become very quiet and nervous to talk people ( i use to be very loud and talkative). My social behavior have change even with my family or my bestfriend. I notice i have a lot of anxiety to normal stuff that i use to go thru everyday ( like going outside or seeing people.).I have a twitch in my left hand index finger and pinky, or my left hand will just shake. I will have sweaty palm , and i will feel my heartbeat going quicker In random time of the day, even when i'm sitting down doing nothing ( not even exercising). I have poor concentration ( My mind will just wander off. Like when people talk to me, it won't process thru my brain and i usually land in confusion and ask them to repeat a few time, and easily forgotten. Another example is when i watch a movie or t.v. even if its a new show, my mind will just go somewhere else and not pay attention.) I will lose my trail of thoughts and the point i was trying to make ( a lot of time i will just lose my trail of thoughts, or not thinking clearly or fully.). I'm always tired or a need to take naps in the afternoon (back to back i will just wake up and probably use the bathroom and will just want to just go back to bed. I will take a lot of nap and not feel refresh.). It's been getting hard to remember my memory, i have a very foggy memory.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The very best thing for you to do is see your doctor
and be honest about everything you shared with us.

Welcome to SR.....
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Keff

It's always tough to tell what's what, which is why qualified medical advice is so important.

My experience is, alcohol never helps anything.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im honest because im worry about the way i am. I was never like that. I was never nervous when i need to speak even to random people to my family or best friend. I'm getting very forgetful, i will be very anxious a lot of my time. My left hand gets shakey and my heartrate going up. i notice i have a difficulty on thinking clearly and my memory is very foggy. i will get very tired in need of naps.I just notice there is something different that have been happening and i want to know could it be because of my sudden stop in drinking alcohol or it have nothing to do with its just that i'm overreacting. What can the doctor do to check if i have or not have alcohol withdrawal.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i''m also worry if i do have alcohol withdrawal symptoms, will it be long term? Because i never use to be like that.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keff, as the others have said, you need the advice of a medical professional. That being said, all of your symptoms are related to withdrawl from alcohol poisoning, in my own experience. "tremors" "shivers" "shakes" sleepless nights, hallucionations (both visual and auditory) vomiting, couldn't walk. Sweats, the bed was soaked. My DR. gave me a med that stopped all that. It will take time, remember, you didn't get into this over night. Best advice, start now, eat and drink healthy. Water, juice (I drink a big can of V8 every day) You need to get that poison out of your body.

Next is a support group. I didn't find a decent AA meeting in my area, so I searched out an NA meeting. Same thing basically. I really bonded with this group, fantastic bunch of people.

The longer you drink, and the more times you get sober, the longer it will take when you get clean. That is just a fact of being an alcoholic. Notice how you pick up right where you left off? Green tea one day, a 12 pack/ bottle/ whatever the next? Yeah, bro, I have been there, done that. 38 days sober now, and I'm not looking back. One day at a time, just make it one day.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. It sounds like you need to see a doctor...I wish we could tell you exactly what was going on but you need to see a changed professional.

You are young so hopefully the resiliency of youth will kick in once you've been sober awhile.

SR is a great tool to help you get sober...there is always someone around to "talk" to.