Notices

Decided to go back to some meetings

Old 10-09-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided to go back to some meetings

Some of you that know me know I stopped my home group/sponsor about a month or so ago. Mainly due to things I just didn't agree with. Anyway, the past month I've been doing good, but I have been kind'a of feeling there's something missing. Haven;t been thinking of drinking at all, but just feel I am missing some of the "support" that made me feel so good before.

So the past week I decided to go back to some normal open style AA meetings. I don't plan on making a home group or getting another sponsor since I'm about 9 months sober and have finished the steps. But just having a couple short open style meetings each week I think will give me that support/outlet I have been missing for the past month.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Steve
Old 10-09-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update Steve.
I think it's a good move for you

D
Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Support is very important, it seems. If you're feeling low on it, it's probably a good decision to go back to meetings.
I've started going regularly recently.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Steve.....
I make a point of attending 3 or 4 weekly OD meetings.
I've been doing that for years.

Why?

It's a good way to keep my mental balance
stay connected to AA friends
and to share with newcomers....

Good to know you are going back
Old 10-10-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, Steve,

If there's a group you like, I'd urge you to reconsider on the "no home group" thing. The home group is a way to "give back" some of what was given to you so freely. It will keep you connected. If it weren't for group members, who set up the meetings, pay the rent, buy the literature, etc., the group would not exist for you and everyone else who needs that group.

Just a thought.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you found way back... most people don't. I question the whole "I've already been through the steps" thing though. My experience has been that doing them once brought me some temporary relief from my insanity, but by not continuing to work the steps over and over again, and not working with a sponsor to continue my spiritual growth, the insanity returned.

I know my experience is not unique either, I'd heard this time and time again, but it wasn't until-after 8 years separated from alcohol-that I found myself living with untreated alcoholism, yet again. Only this time I didn't even have alcohol as a solution as I had when I started drinking years ago. When I hit this bottom, dry, I found that what I had heard was true-AA meetings by themselves are not the solution, they are the fellowship where I go to hear about the solution and carry my message of living in the solution. The solution is the program of AA, laid out in the big book.

After realizing this, and becoming desperate enough (once more) I had to resurrender to this process and begin to really put this into action in my daily life. Currently I have been separated from alcohol for 9 years, and over the last year I have made a new beginning in the program-got a sponsor (sponsoring myself hadn't worked out well), going through the steps continuously with said sponsor, have a homegroup with a commitment, and work with other men. By doing this, the insanity has been removed from me, and as long as I keep doing these things the insanity will remain at bay. However, my experience has shown me that if I stop continuously working these steps, stop growing spiritually, start resting on my laurels, that trouble will follow as it always has.

I encourage you to rethink your plan, and give some serious consideration to immersing yourself in AA in order to keep that insanity at bay.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

DW.
Glad to hear you are still sober. I go thru short periods of work, school, and life that don't allow me to get to as many meetings as I would like. I have missed meetings also due to a burr in my as-, that I allowed someone to put there. The point is, that without face to face contact with others in recovery, I'll start thinking I have some great ideas, AGAIN!! and leads to nothing good. You'll figure out what works for you, and if you can't and keep struggling, then ask a member for some help.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Ya know DW..... I see a lot of trouble in that. I won't go into it unless you're interested though.

Meetings were never meant for anything other than to keep newcomers dry long enough to get them through the steps, have their spiritual awakening, and learn to rely on God for the support they need. It's good that you're going back but there's NO doubt we have to give it away if we want to keep it. That's gonna be tough if you're just showing up for speaker meetings, listening, then taking off. <--- I'm not accusing you of doing that but I see it a lot at meetings.

I find the only way I keep my sanity, and ultimately my sobriety, is if I dig deep and get down into the middle of AA as much as I can. Just keep an open mind and try to be an honest judge of the results you're getting.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, Im in my third year sober. I went to 2 or 3 meetings a day for about 8 or 9 months then 1 a day for another year. Its been about a year since I went to a meeting. One thing I havent done is disconnect from the program itself. I still speak to other alcoholics quite frequently and I appear here several times a week. We all got drunk at our own pace and we will all get sober at our own pace. I feel that it is very important to exhibit sobriety out in the "World" not just in a meetings. I continually strive to "Practice the Principals in all my affairs" That means at work, the grocery store, and any where else I may be. Meetings to me are just a part, but VERY IMPORTANT part of the wonderful journey of sobriety. Just sayin...
Old 10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I made a lot of new friends in AA since lets face it my old
friends are all using and it's pointless to be around them.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EricL View Post
I found that what I had heard was true-AA meetings by themselves are not the solution, they are the fellowship where I go to hear about the solution and carry my message of living in the solution. The solution is the program of AA, laid out in the big book.

have a homegroup with a commitment, and work with other men. By doing this, the insanity has been removed from me, and as long as I keep doing these things the insanity will remain at bay. However, my experience has shown me that if I stop continuously working these steps, stop growing spiritually, start resting on my laurels, that trouble will follow as it always has.

I encourage you to rethink your plan, and give some serious consideration to immersing yourself in AA in order to keep that insanity at bay.
I agree with Eric totally. Most importantly is helping another alcoholic through the process of the 12 Steps. One thing my sponsor asked me before starting on the process with me was..."would you be willing to help and guide another alcoholic through this process when you are done?"

The first sentence in Chapter 7 "Working with others" from the Big Book.

"Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when other fail. Remember they are very ill."

So I also do hope you will reconsider.

God bless,

Harry
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Get back to the meetings and keep an open mind Steve...reading spiritual literature is good too, that from a guy who hadn't read a book since school until last year, as you will find that there are a load of people out there who aren't alcoholics who are trying to practice exactly the same stuff we are in their lives which is great:-)
Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. And when I said this.... "I don't plan on making a home group or getting another sponsor since I'm about 9 months sober and have finished the steps." I think the way I typed that it came out a bit differently than I actually meant it to sound. What I really meant was due to the recent poor experience I had with my former sponsor, I didn't have plans right off the bat to jump back into getting another sponsor or anything like that "right now".

But I'm certainly not ruling out getting another sponsor or getting back into the program deeply at some point again. I just want to make sure that if I do get a new sponsor then it's someone I can really relate to and understands me rather than just grabbing someone I don't really know and asking him to be a sponsor. But I for sure am keeping a open mind and not ruling out anything.

Steve
Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
I'm certainly not ruling out getting another sponsor or getting back into the program deeply at some point again.
One mistake I see people making all the time, Steve, is thinking they know when that day will come. 'When it gets bad, or when I get close to drinking again, THEN I'll get back into it. I'm doing good today, though.'

Sadly, it doesn't work like that. Every day of my life I'm either growing a spiritual relationship or I'm moving closer to a drink. There is no in-between ground. The drink often comes before 'at some point again'.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying Keith, and I appreciate it. But personally I feel I have a very good spiritual relationship with God, my family and with myself no matter if AA is a huge part or a small part of my life.

To be honest that was something that took me away from AA a couple months ago was the way people tried to make me feel I had to have a sponsor/go to 7 meetings a week/do volunteer work/ etc etc and if I didn't do all of that then I must not have a good relationship with God or with myself, which I feel is totally untrue.

But I won't get into all that here, I guess what I am saying is now a days I view AA as a Tool in my sobriety rather than the entire tool chest.

Thanks for the concern though.

Steve