Notices

First counselling session...

Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First counselling session...

It went really well...I was there for an hour....at first I was really unsure of what to talk about...DUH!! alcohol....but it was hard....hard to open up....seems like there are so many underlying issues around my alcoholism and I don't know where to start....I'm sure we will address those.... there is a week long session I will be going to called Mindfullness Based Relapse Prevention.... sounds interesting.... I'm certainly willing to try it!! she also gave me a number to a social club (not AA) that is for people in recovery.. LOVE that!! going to call today!!! I'm so excited about this next step in my journey!!!

Happy Sober Thursday Friends xo
Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

I'm glad it went ok. I'm always unsure what to say with a new counselor.

I love the idea of a recovery social club.

I hope you like the Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention group.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Oak!! It's amazing what is available when you reach out!!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hi love I also went to a counselor to help me in my sober journey, and you're right .. it's hard and scary. To open up, for once, completely honestly about the darkness in your life. I will tell you, after a bit of counseling, I found that we really never talked about my drinking anymore, because the drinking really wasn't what I needed to address.. it was everything else leading up to it, and everything else coming for me in the future albeit unknown. Learning how to live my life without alcohol, to deal with the ups and downs, the celebrations and tragedies, with new skills in my life toolbox so to speak. It was a really incredible, painful, and hopeful journey for me, and I hope that you find it beneficial to you!
Old 10-09-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love, I have no experience in this, so nothing of merit to add. I just wanted to give you a thumbs-up for reaching out and for getting the help you needed.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Flutter, thank you I think thats what I have always been scared of...my feelings....all my life I've drank to try and cover them....I think my counsellor and I will be heading there.......... drinking was just a band aid.....a symptom of deep pain.....It's going to be hard, but I know it will be well worth it for the long haul!!

LD...thanks hun...I appreciate your support xo