Notices

Do you smell different?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you smell different?

I am a binge / problem drinker who stopped drinking six weeks ago.

After about four weeks sober I started noticing that I feel like I smell different. Not so much less of an alcohol smell, but a change in the smell of my sober body's chemistry, if that makes any sense. Cleaner, clearer. Less acidy or something? Is this possible?

In any case, it's nice.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just smell like my dogs they sleep with me i love em so be it, but my sense of smell has greatly increased i even noticed some flowers few days ago.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you're saying. There is a certain smell that heavy drinkers give off. I notice it on one of my friends who continues to drink quite a bit.

I also remember many years ago at an office I worked at, there was a client who was an alcoholic and when he would come into the office he had this certain smell. It would linger for a long time after he left, and we would have to spray air freshener and keep the door open to air the place out so that clients wouldn't think it was one of us who was causing the smell.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.......
Congratulations on chooseing a sober future

Yes....I too noticed a better smell from my skin
and I contribute it to sober healthy chemical changes.

Also....my sense of smell is way more acute
not always a good thing....

All my best....glad to see you here
Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I havent realized a smell from me that is different....but I can sure smell things that I couldn't have before!!! it's amazing I never would have thought drinking would impair your sense of smell!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know but I knew someone who is a really heavy daily drinker and he stunk from head to toe, just foul- not like alcohol... and god forbid he took his shoes off.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is definitely an odor that a heavy drinker gives off...it doesn't matter how many showers you take. I could actually smell it on myself at times...now I djnt although my sense o smell is also much better, which isn't always a good thing...and it seems I can smell alcohol a mile off and it reeks to high heaven. Another benefit in the odor department is that I no longer sweat heavily, even in the heat...I'm sure that helps in the odor dgepartment:-)
Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I sure hope I smell different...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yet another reason to stay sober!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

I was just thinking the same thing at 98 days sober yesterday..think my body chemistry is starting to change..my perfume is starting to smell different..much nicer.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My answer is yes, I believe so. For the better, I would hope, ha ha.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayim View Post
After about four weeks sober I started noticing that I feel like I smell different. Not so much less of an alcohol smell, but a change in the smell of my sober body's chemistry, if that makes any sense. Cleaner, clearer. Less acidy or something? Is this possible?

In any case, it's nice.
Oh, yes, even tho I only have 31 days now, I can tell a difference. What gets me is the people that I hang around/ deal with also have noticed. Must be for the good, eh?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Was talking to someone at the park tonight and I could swear they had been drinking...not in a beer breath way...something else in the way they smelled.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've never noticed it - I didn't ever date anyone that was a big-time drinker who eventually quit & I never noticed that I smelled any different after I quit. When I quit though, my girlfriend used to say I smelled different all the time. I thought she was just patronizing me and it used to irritate me when she'd say it (lol.....early in recovery, EVERYthing bothered me....) but I've heard it enough and from so many different ppl that I don't question it anymore - many/most alcohol abusers DO smell differently when they stop.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I never noticed anything like that for myself... I think I will Google this and see what I find. Anyone ever find anything regarding this online?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I smell different for sure: I don't stink anymore! I would go days without bathing, consuming large amounts of alcohol and other things.

My senses were so numbed, it was a wonder I could notice any odor, aroma, scent....... When I quit using, my senses returned, smell, and touch in particular. Now, my senses are fairly balanced.

But, yes, I do smell differently, in a good way!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The smell from alcoholics is all the toxins coming out through your pores, especially during night sweats and usually hangs around for three to four days after quitting and having a regualar shower schedule.

I , on the other hand, belived I didnt smell when I was drunk, because I couldnt smell. and thought noone would notice the alcohol on my breath. My hygiene is nothing short of disgusting when I drink.

When I was drinking, I wore the same clothes for days, the house was a pigsty, I rarely did dishes and rarely did laundry. My wife had to force me to shower and she usually did all the chores after work.

sick, sick sick
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not sure about the smell, but finally the redness on my face has nearly gone away and I can actually taste everything now. That was something so strange - it seemed like my taste buds were totally shot, like my tongue was nearly numb. Plus i don't have to worry about my breath anymore.

I remember that I could wake up in the early morning hours and still have a smell of alcohol on my breath even thought it had been a good 8 hours of no drinking. I'm glad that is all gone now.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't smell like a dirty pirate anymore. And I probably don't smell like a mixture of cologne, mouthwash, gum, and stale alcohol. That was my morning routine every day. UGH, how sick. Plus Visine and a bottle of gatorade. How depressing.

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I smell different for sure: I don't stink anymore! I would go days without bathing, consuming large amounts of alcohol and other things.
Exactly what I was gonna say. I don't know if I smell differnt because of the lack of alcohol. But when I was drinking I didn't have any concern for hygine and I would go sometimes 2 weeks without bathing back then, so yeah, I smell different lol.

Steve