Notices

Hello, I'm an alcoholic

Old 09-30-2010, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm an alcoholic

I'm interested in finding any information on people who have gone to intensive outpatient programs for alcohol. I live in Greensboro, NC, and am just wondering how successful these type of programs have been to people on this board. I have a full time job which is a rotating schedule and it's hard for me to find a program that is willing to work with me as far as that. I know I have an alcohol problem and want to get over this hump in my life and get better. I'm a very outgoing person who works with people everyday in a very social setting and I manage many people, although my alcohol problem is like a thorn in my side and I can't shake it off. I wake up every day and make sure my schedule will work around my drinking, therefore I'm living to drink right now to fill a void in my life. I need to change this void into something positive and get on with my life. Thanks for any info and I really think this board is the best I've come across. Sincerely,

Jeremy
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jeremy

I have no experience to share but welcome to SR...I'm sure others have IOP experience

D
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I decided to quit drinking....I went directly to AA.
That's the only experience I have in overcoming myalcoholism
Been working great for years...

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 10-01-2010, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never did IOP but I've been seeing an addiction counselor for three years now and she helps a lot.

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree with Carol,

One of the cool things about AA is that there are meetings almost every day, and at all hours (morning, noon, and night) in most major populated areas. It affords maximum flexibility. If you feel you need something "extra" you could add in an alcohol/addictions counselor. But if you work the AA program, with a sponsor, that's all many people need.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My progression of ever-increasingly more serious efforts at seeking help started with willpower, treatment from my doctor for depression and anxiety, 1-1 counseling and therapy, jail, IOP, jail, inpatient rehab, jail, and finally, a spiritual awakening as the result of AA's 12 Steps.

While I would not discourage IOP in any way, it could not offer me what I found necessary to recover.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a limited experience with IOP last year, I went for 5 weeks, 3 nights a week, 3 hour groups.

Once every 2 weeks you would sit down with the head doctor and discuss progress. I really didn't find it all that helpful. Drinking stories one after another, and limited input from the counselor, who was book trained, not first hand. Also, there was no 12 step discussion whatsoever.

Not to say IOP isn't useful, but that particular program, and staff did nothing for me.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Iop was great for me but you must keep working a program when you are done if you dont your wasting time and money.