Notices

About day 4 or 5 Urrrrg.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

About day 4 or 5 Urrrrg.

Hi,
I've posted a couple of times before about my starts and days and am still trying (I guess not hard enough) and struggling. My problem is I'm an alcoholic and I know that. I know about AA meetings and that is my plan for sobriety. My recent issue is that I make it to about day 4 or 5 sober, well not drinking, I feel better physically and I start to get this unfocused energy. Agitated that I should be doing something, but can't focus and get things done. I'm guessing that just like the first couple of days of like a detox, this is something I need to just get through, but it has been hard to get through those days without drinking. I've been avoiding drinking any more than one night or day without trying again,because I can't do the detox thing anymore. I know its still probably a detox, but more like just a hangover.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It certainly is familiar to me - I couldn't stand drinking, but I couldn't stand not drinking either...I either felt too good or too bad...either way I just felt 'weird' so I always went back.

I hope you can push past this. I think support is key. I hope you follow through with your meeting plan

D
Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks D,
To be honest the drive towards "I can't do this anymore" is getting stronger I just need to as the strength to make it through. I've been sticking to beer for a while since "its not as bad" I know better now. After my last six (Please excuse me) I threw up and it had nothing to do with the quantity or real anxiety, it was just more what am I doing? I know from experience I'm pretty happy sober, I just can't seem to find my way through right now.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hooligan

Just keep hanging in there. Watch movies read books or even hang out with people to keepyou occupied
Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back.....

When I began working my AA Steps I felt a shift in perception
from often shakey sobriety ..into solid recovery....

Yes...I do hope you will connect to AA....and get involved
with our Steps.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Trust me Kargy, beers every bit as bad as anything else

Do something different - the only way out is to break the cycle and you do that with action.

Test out a meeting, or see a counsellor, or see your doctor...something.
D
Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kargy, it took me about a week before I was really back in focus enough to get my butt back to work. Before that, I focused on cleaning up both my act and my apartment. Amazing how bag things got when all I wanted was another bottle. Also eating habits- start with the healthy stuff. Water, juice, diet soda. A little ice cream helps settle the stomach. Take a walk, watch some Netflix. Maybe hard to sleep right now, but at least rest.

It may be hard for a while to turn off the cravings, I don't have them anymore (27 days now!!!!!) but that stupid little voice is still there. It took you a long time to get to where you finally wanted to stop, it's going to take some time, and patience, to get were you don't look back or what what the past was.

Carol and Dee are right, good advice there. Go to a meeting as soon as you can. I personally go to NA meetings but it's basically the same, a support group. All my best wishes.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kargy View Post
Hi,
I've posted a couple of times before about my starts and days and am still trying (I guess not hard enough) and struggling. My problem is I'm an alcoholic and I know that. I know about AA meetings and that is my plan for sobriety. My recent issue is that I make it to about day 4 or 5 sober, well not drinking, I feel better physically and I start to get this unfocused energy. Agitated that I should be doing something, but can't focus and get things done. I'm guessing that just like the first couple of days of like a detox, this is something I need to just get through, but it has been hard to get through those days without drinking. I've been avoiding drinking any more than one night or day without trying again,because I can't do the detox thing anymore. I know its still probably a detox, but more like just a hangover.
I'm with you on this one. I'm on day 5, and I'm having a difficult time concentrating also. I had a strong urge to drink yesterday, but instead, I took my dog outside and went for a run. Came back in, took a shower, and felt much better. I keep telling myself that no matter what, keep looking on the bright side and this can be beaten, and I can be sober. Look at all these people on the forum and the things that they have been through. The same exact crap, and the same exact feelings, and they achieved success. So can I. So can you. Keep your head up. You can do it.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Start going to some meetings. I didnt go to a meeting until I was about 30 days sober and I wish I had went sooner. I also got a sponsor and Im working the steps.

Best wishes,
Michael
Old 10-08-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I can only share my own experience. But after I pushed through the first few days I found that my life was kind of disorganized and empty. Alcohol takes up an enormous amount of time and energy and I found anyway that I had chosen not to socialize with non drinkers. So my social life was limited.

So that's when the work begins. Building a new life! The kind of jittery head and hyper-ness dissipates (I take fish oil which may or may not help). But then a solid plan for the day kept me focused. Gym first thing, a particular TV show that night, something nutritious and complicated to cook for dinner. I have kids so various plans with them. Accepting all the invitations I usually declined. All this has strung together what feels like a real life to me. It definitely feels like an outer body experience. But like a treat, too. To find joy in things I used to think were lame. To feel content and tired at the end of the day.

I don't feel hyper or distracted anymore. It's been about 6 weeks.