Notices

The smell make you feel sick?

Old 09-25-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nia
Everyone's favorite looney.

The smell make you feel sick?

I have a little over a year and a half sober now, but one thing I have noticed the last chunk of times I have been around alcohol (family events etc) when I smell it my stomach churn. I don't know where this change happened. I was at a work party a couple weeks ago and a co worker was drinking whiskey which is my drink of choice and I had to move not due to a trigger but because I started dry heaving. Does anyone else get this feeling?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not a pleasant smell to me, no, Nia.

D
Old 09-25-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nia
Everyone's favorite looney.

it's not pleasant to me either but i mean to the point of feeling physically bothered like you are going to upchuck.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
High on Life

A friend kissed me on the cheek who had been drinking and I didn't really enjoy the smell of the booze, so I guess I can see where you're coming from
Old 09-25-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wouldn'tsay it is a pleasant smell either but then again when i was drinking i was hardly a connaisseur appreciating the aroma of a quadruple bacardi and coke;-)
Old 09-25-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went to a bar last weekend for the first time in my sobriety to watch a football game with some friends. No fear of drinking but I had to finally leave because the smell of the bar made me a bit sick. Not sure exactly what it was but I never felt that way when I was drinking.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went through this for a while. Started when I was about 6 months sober. Don't remember how long it lasted.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nia View Post
it's not pleasant to me either but i mean to the point of feeling physically bothered like you are going to upchuck.
The smell of stale alcohol makes my stomach turn. Like the smell of the morning after a good drinking binge with many open containers.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My wife is a moderate drinker.......but man, that red wine does stink doesnt it.
makes me wonder how she ever put up with me for years....
Old 09-25-2010, 11:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I asked a lot of people in AA if it still bothers them... I can't go into
bars I can smell it from far away.... a lot of guys in AA told me the
same thing that the smell of it still bothers them, even guys with over
10 years.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well considering my treatment was one of aversion therapy.......... I can confidently say that I understand where you're coming from.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yea if I wanted to throw up id just ask for a shot of rum or whiskey then sniff it. Other stuff like beer doesnt bother me at all. I dont get close enough to wine to smell it
Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was at a party a couple months ago where people were drinking shots of the same rum that I consumed on my last binge. I was standing at the island where the sink was, and people were throwing their plastic cups in the sink after drinking their shots. The smell wafted up to me, and I almost threw up in the sink.

Similar thing on the commuter train I take - on the weekends a lot of the teenagers/young adults will drink on the train on their way to concerts (even though it is illegal and they can be heavily fined for it). The whole car just reeked of alcohol, and I wound up moving to the next car because I just couldn't stand riding in that for the duration of my journey.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A week or so I to sobriety I visited my family...the smell of wine, my DOC made me ill, a fact I made a point to encourage and emphasize. I am now somewhere around day 80 and was just on a plane...the gal next to methadone a red wine and I actually had to discretely cover my nose with my hand so as not to smell it. I was actually surprised I could smell it from my seat.

Good to know I'm not the only one. Personally I hope this is something I experience for the rest of my life.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When you think about how horrible the smell is, like licking a dirty ashtray somone spilled a beer into, and how many pregnancies were born out of drunken rolls in the hay, it's a wonder that many of us were ever born, lol.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The smell of booze makes me sick to my stomach as well. I think that is a good thing though!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've noticed I smell everything more now...must be due to the fact I am no longer deadening my senses:-) the first time I ever got drunk it was on Southern Comfort...it tasted horrible. Allen Carr actually hypothesized that because alcohol tastes/smells so bad that when we start drinking we don't think we could possibly ever become addicted to such rubbish ...its the beginning of the slippery sloe.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Beer smells crappy to me....but then I wasn't much of a beer drinker. Wine......geez......I used to darn near fall in love with the bouquet of glass of good Cabernet. Now though, it smells almost like rubbing alcohol. lol

Oddly enough, Captains -n- Diet still smells "good" to me once and a while. That was my "go-to" drink most of the time and the Captain and I were VERY close friends. One or two of my friends drink it and it used to give me a chuckle when I'd smell one of their drinks and it'd gross me out. Then......something changed almost always it's nasty to me.. but 2% or 3% of the time....uhg.....those old memories overpower my nasal perceptions and that dam drink smells like "fun, power, hope, success, laughter, a good time, etc." Needless to say, those few times it smells good will scare the S*** outta you. --In the end, it's a good reminder to me of my powerlessness. Frickin' amazing that I can still trick myself into smelling happiness in a frickin' glass of booze.

I think maybe I'll keep coming back and continue to try to work these principles in all my affairs.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

to me, dry white wine scent reminds me of acetone (nail polish remover). beer is like a stale sour smell, as if no one showered.

when I first kept trying to quit smoking it was helpful to imagine burning plastic.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I especially don't like the smell of wine.....my DOC...makes me sick too.....just the thought of it.....ugggggh........