Notices

Working the steps & Sponsers in the UK

Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working the steps & Sponsers in the UK

Hey All,

I often read here about people working the steps properly with their sponsors and how it helps in their recovery. I've also read that some people don't work the steps properly.

To those of us in the UK what do you find happens with regards to working the steps and having a sponsor?
Old 09-25-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hm,

I'm in the US, but from what I know from AA people in the UK, it works the same way there.

I'm not sure what it is you are asking.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Hm,

I'm in the US, but from what I know from AA people in the UK, it works the same way there.

I'm not sure what it is you are asking.
I guess I'm curious to know what it means to work the steps and conversely not work them properly, and are sponsors jobs the same in the UK as they are in the US?
Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yes,

The AA program is the AA program, and the Big Book is the Big Book. We have several sober members from the UK over on the 12-Step Forum--including Charmie and Shaun. My suggestion is that you check that forum out. It's right here.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Same book, same ideals, the place shouldn't matter anymore than drinking at home vs drinking in a bar.

That said though, just lime in every facet of life, there are those who fail, get by or excel - if you're a real alcoholic then your life is on the line so I'd want a real-deal alcoholic who's recovered as a result of THE program (and all that that entails) to show me how he/she did it and to help guide me through the mine field.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, the program is the program everywhere.

I did not truly start feeling better until I wholeheartedly applied myself to working the steps. My sponser works each step with me in depth and if she feels that I have not gotten the concept/principal of that step then we continue to work it.

From what I have seen in my area is sponsors use different tools to guide us through the steps but ALL use the BB as the "go to" for the program.

For me, the steps have given me a design for living and freedom from the bondage of alcohol and self.

I tried the first two times not working the steps properly, not going to meetings and not talking honestly with another alcoholic and both times I ended up drunk. Working the steps IMO is a must to stay sober.

Hope this helps.