Notices

Quitting alcahol when you have Misophonia

Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting alcahol when you have Misophonia

How can I quit alcahol when I have this horrible condition for which there is no cure at the moment and I have two teenagers to give me lots of grief?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm sure it's an awful condition, but I don't understand how alcohol would help. Have you sought help from an audiologist or a psychiatrist? Many people have illnesses or conditions that are quite debilitating, but drinking is not the answer.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, my holy god! I didn't know what that meant so I looked it up.

People who have misophonia are most commonly annoyed, or even enraged, by the sound of other people eating, breathing, coughing, or other ordinary sounds. Oddly, they are not normally annoyed by sounds that they themselves make. Reactions to these sounds are not limited however to just loud eating noises, people with misophonia find themselves affected by all kinds of noises.[3] Such reactions are also involuntary.

Often, people who have misophonia are also annoyed by other people's repetitive movements, such as leg-tapping, nail-biting and typing.[4]
Great, just great! Now I'm not only an alcoholic/who knows what else, but also this!

I have those symptoms. Other people typing at work, the clicking sound drives me crazy. My husband has some weird habit of always moving his toes! It drives me wild!! If we sit together to watch a movie I have to cover his feet or else I can't focus. When people eat out loud, I cringe!

Oh, lord, what else is wrong with me?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes ENT have discharged me,helpfully NOT,because it is not an ear problem.I know alcahol is not the answer but no one is treating me.SSRI do not work either.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you get over to *****.co.uk/groups here is a Misophonia group,xx You are probably drinking same as I to blot out the noise problems/stress.Sending you some big hugs. x
Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janjan40 View Post
If you get over to *****.co.uk/groups here is a Misophonia group,xx You are probably drinking same as I to blot out the noise problems/stress.Sending you some big hugs. x
Yes, that was one of the reasons I drank on top many other reasons, and in addition/ medicating myself as well with Lorazepen/sleeping pills/pain killers.

Thanks for the hugs!!:day6
Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Alcohol is a substance that can deplete magnesium levels that has also been linked to hearing sensitivity. One school of thought is that hangovers that make people light and sound sensitive may actually be acute, short term episodes of magnesium deficiency brought on from drinking too many alcoholic beverages.

Maybe your alcohol consumption is making it worse??

Best of luck getting well. I also have a chronic condition which I medicated with alcohol. It worked until it started working against me.

Keep us posted, sweetie.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

janjan40......Welcome....

Sorry you are dealing with this condition

I have no experience with it fortunately

I can absolutely tell you that sobriety has helped
me deal with 3 different chronic medical problems
and many other "life on life terms" situations.

What have you done to begin being a non drinker?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies.I havent tried to give up yet,I keep telling myself I 'deserve' my treat.For the last year I have drank 5-6 cans a night,well sometimes I start at 4pm.I dont want to stop dead as Ive read this can be just as dangerous.I have cut down occasionally but always end up back on 6.I cant attend AA because of my Misophonia.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you decide to quit drinking...and I hope you will
here is a list of programs for you to explore.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Many of them offer on line meetings and support.

Also.... ...some of our members
have found their sobriety by only useing our site.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

Doesn't look like alcohol is an effective treatment either, have you tried white noise machines, counseling.. etc?

I used a lot of 'excuses' to keep drinking.. maybe you'll find if you quit, life and anything that comes with it is more tolerable, eventually.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My current problem which I have not mentioned is my partners family and Christmas.My sister in law has a new boyfriend who looks just like the fella who raped me aged 20(I was not alcahol dependent then)He came last Xmas and I had to go upstairs and did not come down again for the day or night.Funnily enough I drank hardly anything that day.I know it is not him, hes about 10yrs too young but its playing with my brain badly.I cannot handle the thought of Xmas again with this man but my children will hate me if I dont invite everyone.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies.I havent tried to give up yet,I keep telling myself I 'deserve' my treat.For the last year I have drank 5-6 cans a night,well sometimes I start at 4pm.I dont want to stop dead as Ive read this can be just as dangerous.I have cut down occasionally but always end up back on 6.I cant attend AA because of my Misophonia.
Quit making excuses-its not that you "can't" attend meetings, its that you "won't" or choose not to. I made all sorts of excuses as to why I couldn't attend meetings, or work with a sponsor, or take the actions suggested... annnnnnd I stayed drunk (yeah, I know, big surprise ;-) )

People with all sorts of serious mental conditions make it to meetings, and are able to recover. Either get to the meetings and latch on to the solution that is offered, or find a way to get that solution another way, try calling the AA office and asking if they have contacts who would come to you.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

How can I quit alcahol when I have this horrible condition for which there is no cure at the moment and I have two teenagers to give me lots of grief?
Well, alcoholism is fatal so you might want to give that some extra consideration.

As for how to quit, it's simple.... find a Higher Power to do for you what you're not able to do on your own. If you could just quit on your own you're probably not an alcoholic. That doesn't mean you don't have problems associated with alcohol by any stretch.

There's a lot of good therapy available for the other issues too. Finding the right person is key and will take some work on your part.

Like I said at first though, if you're an alcoholic, there's virtually no chance at getting past those other "issues" when you're still under the fog of alcohol and simultaneously suffering from alcoholism.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In my defence its not an excuse,Id challenge anyone to go to AA when they cant stand sniffing coughing,clearing throat and fidgeting.Ive had it since age 8 so its nothing to do with drinking.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

^^that's specifically what I was talking about.... seeking some HP to do for you what you can't do.

Alcoholism is incurable too yet there are hundreds of thousands of recovered alkies walking around (like me) who have been relieved of that obsession. Why put limits on what God can do ya know? If your HP isn't capable of relieving you of that issue, maybe it's time to look for a HP that can?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alcaholism isnt 'incurable' if you want it bad enough,my condition is, as many fellow sufferers will tell you.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You do have a site to discuss your Misophonia
issues......and our members are not allowed to give
medical advice.

We can help you give up alcohol....by sharing
all the things we did and do.

What are your plans to quit drinking?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JanJan
Welcome to SR.

As long as you think you have a valid reason for drinking, you will.

I have cerebral palsy. I self medicated the various symptoms, and the associated frustrations, with alcohol for many years - the alcohol progressively ceased to be effective, and I nearly died from my alcohol consumption.

There are other ways to deal with any problem without turning to alcohol - I hope you'll continue to look for them.

I don't share your conviction that alcoholism is curable I'm afraid, or that just wanting it badly enough is the key.

If that were true none of us, including yourself, would be here.

D
Old 09-24-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry,I just dont like it when people dont understand my 'condition'.I am seeing my doctor Tues.