Notices

Quitting alcahol when you have Misophonia

Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I understand Jan....sorry you don't get what I was trying to say. Perhaps I should have phrased it differently but that's my fault.

Rather than beat a dead horse I'll leave it as it is. Best of luck to you though.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EricL View Post
Quit making excuses-its not that you "can't" attend meetings, its that you "won't" or choose not to. I made all sorts of excuses as to why I couldn't attend meetings, or work with a sponsor, or take the actions suggested... annnnnnd I stayed drunk (yeah, I know, big surprise ;-) )

People with all sorts of serious mental conditions make it to meetings, and are able to recover. Either get to the meetings and latch on to the solution that is offered, or find a way to get that solution another way, try calling the AA office and asking if they have contacts who would come to you.
Trust me, sitting in any small room with people gulping coffee is enough to make me want to throw people of skyrise rooftops. It is indeed a matter of can't.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I too am an alcoholic, drug addict and misophonia sufferer, to the highest level. It is a brain disorder where sounds trigger you fight or flight reflex. Trust me if I could control throwing and breaking things in my house, screaming at my family or self injuring myself, I WOULD. This cannot be helped, so far treated effectively, and there is no cure.

In the meantime, I am 48 days sober and my miso is out of control. If anything will cause relapse (aside from this damn PAWS) MISO WILL!!

There are AA meetings online and you can always wear earplugs for sound and sunglasses for visual triggers.

Good luck. I understand and I am sorry you have to go through this.