Notices

a Feeling of Peace..

Old 09-23-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a Feeling of Peace..

What Does serenity Mean to you? first and foremost for me it is a sense of peace.. a peace that passes all understanding. what say you?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Calm/quiet/peaceful. The most serene time for me is early in the morning, I get up between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. and I go sit outside in my yard, it's still dark but as the sun starts to come up I hear the birds chirping and the world starting to wake up; I'm all alone with nature/God/and myself and it's fabulous.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For me.....
serenity is a deep sense of knowing God
is working in my life....
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I had no idea what serenity or peace really meant until I got sober. Early on, I had no idea what was happening to me. It wasn't a feeling that I recognized because I never really experienced any sort of serenity either growing up or in my adult life when I was drinking. I had to have someone tell me that it was serenity I was feeling and I also had to get used to it until I gradually felt how much I liked the feeling and wanted more of it out of my life. Now I wouldn't change this gift for the world.

Though life throws it's junk at me and shakes my serenity until I either move through it or do something about it, I know serenity will return for me if I don't drink, keep a line open to my higher power and work the steps. That's what the promises say and I gotta believe.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To me it's a feeling of peace, peace of mind, peace of where I'm at and a peace of just living in the moment and enjoying feeling like this.

I never heard of the word really before I got into recovery. It's something that's hard to explain and describe but it's something that you know when you're actively feeling and living it.

I also know when I ain't feeling it too and I don't like the feelings. I get working my recovery so I can get back that sense of peacefulness that all is OK with me and my place in the universe.

Peace
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, as others have alluded to, it is a sense of peace and quiet, a sense of comfortability with myself. It is this feeling that with my reliance placed squarely upon god that I will be ok, no matter what happens he will see me through to the other side of whatever struggle the day brings.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Being free from worrying about what everyone's thinking of me.

Not feeling like I have to have all the answers all the time.

Feeling comfortable walking into a crowded room and being able to carry on a conversation without needing a drink.

Knowing that I have REAL friends who understand me and sincerely care for my well being.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Being free from worrying about what everyone's thinking of me.

Not feeling like I have to have all the answers all the time.

Feeling comfortable walking into a crowded room and being able to carry on a conversation without needing a drink.

Knowing that I have REAL friends who understand me and sincerely care for my well being.
How About Never Feeling you have Any Answers? (i hate That One!)
Old 09-23-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
oak

peace
accepting what is
making space for everything
calmness
it's like the world opens up
steady feeling
connected
Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's tough for me to put into words but I know it when I feel it. The best I can come up with is it's a feeling of being fully present in the moment while also comfortable in my own skin. Before I got sober I never knew it was possible to feel like this for anything more than the occasional fleeting moment.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post

... first and foremost for me it is a sense of peace.. a peace that passes all understanding. what say you?
... a sense of peace...Yes!

... a sense of purpose...Yes

... a peace that feels like fulfillment.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Serenity for me...

Serenity for me is understanding and remembering the seasons: the warmth on my arms from the summer sun, the feeling of protection from the gentle cold in autumn with a quilt or wool sweater, the late night sound of crisp snow crunching underfoot in the moonlight and the gentle softness of fresh ferns and new leaves when walking through the springtime woods.

Sometimes a recollection is enough to pull me back from wherever my head might be and not drink.

Under the influence of the seasons - I can live with that.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good thoughts.. thanks all!